• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 15:59

Brian Westhouse: "Hah! Takes you by surprise, doesn't it? Well, God damn! Sit down, Miss Ryan, let me get you a drink. The liquor over here stinks to high heaven -- magic pollutes the purity of the spirit -- but I keep a bottle of Glenfiddich for special occasions."

Brian passed through the divide empty-handed, leaving behind everything, including his shoes. So my question is; Where did he get a bottle of Glenfiddich, a gun and a bicycle?

#2 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 16:14

I used to just consider it a retcon in DF, but Saga's drawing shows him with the bicycle so maybe not.

He could conceivably have made the bicycle himself. The gun too, although more difficult. But although he also might have made his own alcoholic drink, he wouldn't call it Glenfiddich.

• Neurotic likes this

#3 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 16:16

Another shifter could have brought them over sometime in the past.

• ShardofTruth, Neurotic and Yarrozu like this

#4 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 17:42

Another shifter could have brought them over sometime in the past.

Entirely possible, but who? I don't recall Brian mentioning another shifter. I would assume that it would've required some type of friendship for another shifter to go 'shopping' across the Divide for him?

What if he somehow gained the ability to shift himself and is keeping it a secret? It could explain how science and technology ended up in the hands of the Azadi and why he appears to be an Azadi sympathizer. He even has access to one of their cloudships...

#5 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 17 February 2016 - 18:39

We know there have to be other Shifters who cart over junk from Stark, and that junk sometimes winds up in Marcuria -- for example, the calculator at the cups handler's stall. So I think the answer to where his Starkian supplies came from is as simple as "somebody, at some point". Brian had been living in Marcuria for years prior to meeting April in TLJ, after all.
  • Neurotic likes this

#6 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 18:42

I used to just consider it a retcon in DF, but Saga's drawing shows him with the bicycle so maybe not.

Was Saga's drawing really of April though? Have a look:

http://tlj.wikia.com...The_Rolling_Man

Saga: "The man with wheels shows the girl how to get back to her big city. He hides his shadow inside him."

Why is Crow there?

In TLJ, Brian helped April get back to Stark in Chapter 2, at that point in time Crow was still trapped in a cage over at the Cup Handler's booth. He wasn't liberated by April until chapter 4. If this is a drawing of April then Crow shouldn't have been there at that point.

This doesn't seem to be a drawing of April, it fits Zoe a lot better in my opinion.

In 'Dreamfall', Crow teams up with Zoe after April refuses to help her get back home. Crow leads Zoe to Brian who does indeed help her get back home by taking her to see The White Dragon Reborn.

#7 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 18:48

We know there have to be other Shifters who cart over junk from Stark, and that junk sometimes winds up in Marcuria -- for example, the calculator at the cups handler's stall. So I think the answer to where his Starkian supplies came from is as simple as "somebody, at some point". Brian had been living in Marcuria for years prior to meeting April in TLJ, after all.

Indeed. So it could've been Brian who brought them over, couldn't it? I can imagine that items from Stark would be valuable to trade in Macuria, after all, practically every single person you speak to there are obsessed with Stark.

#8 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 17 February 2016 - 22:44

Items do cross the divide. Like the calculator. So its possible. It happens.

Also if Brian built his own house, he can build a bike.

• Pawlo_86 and Neurotic like this

#9 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:23

Was Saga's drawing really of April though? Have a look:

http://tlj.wikia.com...The_Rolling_Man

Saga: "The man with wheels shows the girl how to get back to her big city. He hides his shadow inside him."

Why is Crow there?

I think it's a continuity error on RTG's part.  The girl's clothes in the drawing are pretty close to April's clothes in TLJ, not Zoe's clothes in DF.  The rest of Saga's drawings are also pretty straightforward renderings of bits from TLJ - it would be weird if just one of them was from Dreamfall.

Indeed. So it could've been Brian who brought them over, couldn't it? I can imagine that items from Stark would be valuable to trade in Macuria, after all, practically every single person you speak to there are obsessed with Stark.

I guess it's possible that Brian's a secret Shifter, but if he were, why would he have undergone the ritual in Tibet?  Seems more likely to me that he's just collected stuff from other Shifters over the years.  We know from TLJ that he's seen other Shifts, by his remarks when April opens a Shift after getting Cortez's watch working again.

• Pawlo_86, Neurotic and Yarrozu like this

#10 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:26

I think it's a continuity error on RTG's part.  The girl's clothes in the drawing are pretty close to April's clothes in TLJ, not Zoe's clothes in DF.  The rest of Saga's drawings are also pretty straightforward renderings of bits from TLJ - it would be weird if just one of them was from Dreamfall.

I guess it's possible that Brian's a secret Shifter, but if he were, why would he have undergone the ritual in Tibet?  Seems more likely to me that he's just collected stuff from other Shifters over the years.  We know from TLJ that he's seen other Shifts, by his remarks when April opens a Shift after getting Cortez's watch working again.

What if he acquired his shifting powers while stuck in-between? After all, he did make it to Arcadia eventually..

#11 AlkYama

AlkYama

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 19:01

I have trouble believing he would have shifting powers, it is quite possible that he gained some abilities after being possessed by the undreaming (if you believe that is the case). But it's interesting to note that if he had some shifter go shopping for his booze, the shifter would probably have needed to bring an entire liquor store to Arcadia, since every single occasion you meet Westhouse on the Longest Journey, he is drinking. A lot.

• Neurotic likes this

#12 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 21:18

I have trouble believing he would have shifting powers, it is quite possible that he gained some abilities after being possessed by the undreaming (if you believe that is the case). But it's interesting to note that if he had some shifter go shopping for his booze, the shifter would probably have needed to bring an entire liquor store to Arcadia, since every single occasion you meet Westhouse on the Longest Journey, he is drinking. A lot.

If I'm not entirely mistaken, the last time you see him in TLJ he mentions that he had an entire crate full but is currently on his last bottle. I'll see if I can find it in my transcript.

#13 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 21:25

April: "What are you gonna do when they get here?"
Brian Westhouse: "I got an old gun locked up in the pantry. Enough bullets to take down at least two dozen of those goblins! I'm going down fighting, that's for sure."
April: "You'll be fine. I'm sure of that. Just -- leave the bottle be until the victory party, okay?"
Brian Westhouse: "Don't worry about that, girl. That's my last batch of real whiskey...all I got left now is bloody Marcurian wine, and believe me, you don't want to get drunk on that."

Last batch, so he definitely had a storage. He has been there 14 - 15 years. Perhaps that's why he always hangs out on his veranda? No room in the house for him cause it's filled with whiskey bottles? :P

I wonder what he did with the empty bottles...

• Mikajoo likes this

#14 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 16:50

It's not necessarily in bottles: could be a cask or 2, which wouldn't take up much room really, and each one holds a lot of bottles. Empty casks make great end tables or planters. :)

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users