#21 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 08 January 2016 - 13:00

If it's OK with you, Clairobscur, could me maybe continue this conversation in PM?

Of course!

#22 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:20

The game seems to have been updated by GOG. There isn't a patch anymore, the whole game says 4.1.1

I'll give it a try... tomorrow, when my SLOW internet downloads the whole game AGAIN (it's like the 6th or 7th time I download everything...)

• khh likes this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#23 xjqcf

xjqcf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 14:39

I obtained this version and installed it. When I ran it, I checked that the settings screen indeed identified as 4.1.1 . Initially the first time I started I thought I was running as a new install, but I was mistaken and ran into various problems, so I cleaned out all the save files (by renaming the "Dreamfall Chapters" folder in both LocalLow and Roaming to force a fresh saves environment to be recreated. I was able, then to start the game and play from the beginning of Book 1 (The only choice of a fresh install). I was able to actually get to and play, which I did to rack up a few auto save files. I was then able to escape and restore from a save file, as well as using the "Continue" menu item, which worked both with and without quitting the game . From this "smoke test" of this latest GOG release, the problems I previously observed, as many other GOG had, did not occur.

However, to be fair, these tests were done on my slow laptop which I hadn't played on for months; I hadn't even previously installed the Book 4 original release on it; the real test will be on my main box which I didn't want to do at this time since I'm in my normal Linux boot and didn't want to shut down a lot of stuff I have open on my many workspaces to boot into Windows 7 for the test (BTW the original GOG Linux 4.1.1 patch worked fine) I hope more people can get the latest GOG version and test it.

#24 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 16:18

OK, I'm a little confused. The way I understand the problem, it's loading pre-4.1.1. saved games that are the issue. I'm not sure how wiping out all the saves and starting over tests that issue.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#25 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 January 2016 - 17:10

OK, I'm a little confused. The way I understand the problem, it's loading pre-4.1.1. saved games that are the issue. I'm not sure how wiping out all the saves and starting over tests that issue.

I believe there was a problem with loading save games in general, any kind of save game, that was the problem. I don't believe there was a problem with the save games themselves.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#26 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 January 2016 - 17:13

It wasn't even loading a new game, either. Essentially it wouldn't do anything past the title screen.

I've just downloaded the new version on GOG and it works now. I loaded up several different saves from different books and they all worked fine. Also, the green shadow/lighting/gamma issue has been fixed! (For me, at least). Yay!

• khh likes this

#27 xjqcf

xjqcf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 17:30

I see that Riase has found the new install files work. I also did additional test, first with the unpatched original Book 4 release files (Which worked), then applied the subsequent patch file (GOG-14) which exhibited the hung load screens widely described, so my laptop environment is unlikely to be a fluke. So things are looking up for the GOG-15 fileset. Unfortunately, at this writing, one must load an entirely new set of files rather than a new patch file (probably to avoid confusion as to which existing installation the patch file would be applied to)

• khh and Riaise like this

#28 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 20:04

I see that Riase has found the new install files work. I also did additional test, first with the unpatched original Book 4 release files (Which worked), then applied the subsequent patch file (GOG-14) which exhibited the hung load screens widely described, so my laptop environment is unlikely to be a fluke. So things are looking up for the GOG-15 fileset. Unfortunately, at this writing, one must load an entirely new set of files rather than a new patch file (probably to avoid confusion as to which existing installation the patch file would be applied to)

Thanks for posting. This is definitely encouraging.

#29 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:24

It seems like GOG has issued several massive (14 GB) patches via Galaxy and updated the full .exe files while removing the former patch. There hasn't been any kind of official GOG information on any of this, no changelog, none that I'm aware of.

Users are still reporting problems.

An update on what was attempted, why and the reported results would be appreciated.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#30 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 January 2016 - 16:25

It seems like GOG has issued several massive (14 GB) patches via Galaxy and updated the full .exe files while removing the former patch. There hasn't been any kind of official GOG information on any of this, no changelog, none that I'm aware of.

Users are still reporting problems.

An update on what was attempted, why and the reported results would be appreciated.

Agreed. We are talking to them, but we still don't know exactly what they are doing.

As mentioned in another topic, we re-uploaded both 32- and 64-bit versions (same build) to GoG so that they could re-patch it using their tool, because it seemed like some files were corrupted the last time around. Instead of patching, like they usually do, they've cleared the previous files and uploaded the new ones. I don't know what the reason for that is exactly, but maybe they have trouble with rolling back a previous upload/patch or something in their system.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens next I guess.

• Vainamoinen and bongboy like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#31 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:10

Do we have any confirmations that this issue is fixed?  I forget if I updated the game or not, and am almost afraid to try running the game.

#32 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 13:34

Do we have any confirmations that this issue is fixed?  I forget if I updated the game or not, and am almost afraid to try running the game.

The patch doesn't work and the full install that was released after the patch was 32-bit only. The 64-bit version has now been uploaded to GOG and it, as well as the 32-bit version, can be downloaded. The patch is no longer available on the site. I've only tried the 64-bit version (labeled GOG-16), and it works perfectly fine for me. I recommend that you make sure that you have the latest version by downloading and installing the new version (7.48GB).

• Morten and khh like this

#33 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:46

Downloading the full game... AGAIN! The patch doesn't work with the last release...

#34 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 19:06

Downloading the full game... AGAIN! The patch doesn't work with the last release...

The 4.2.1 64-bit patch works fine for me. I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Sorry to hear you have to re-download the entire game. That's a bummer.

• debro likes this

#35 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 19:37

The 4.2.1 64-bit patch works fine for me. I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Sorry to hear you have to re-download the entire game. That's a bummer.

I left it downloading overnight, it isn't as bad as having to wait 8+hours on the release day ;)

#36 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 00:42

I tested some areas and I must say, the performance improved a lot!

The game runs very smooth in Propast, never going below the high 50s, and staying most of the time around 80fps. That's great, really great!

Marcuria is another animal, harder to tame. It runs most of the time between 45 and 65fps, but i've seen it dip into the high 30s in some specific places. Anyway it still runs smoother than it did! And looks absolutely stunning!

#37 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:20

I just installed GOG version 2.10.0.17. The site says this equates to v4.2.1. I'm not seeing the kind of frame rates you're seeing debro. 'Course, I'm only running a GTX 750, not a 760, 770, or 780. I'm getting rates around 30 FPS. In the scene where Zoe is forced to talk to Queenie, I was getting 18. It wasn't a problem there; there's very little movement anyway.

#38 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:30

I just installed GOG version 2.10.0.17. The site says this equates to v4.2.1. I'm not seeing the kind of frame rates you're seeing debro. 'Course, I'm only running a GTX 750, not a 760, 770, or 780. I'm getting rates around 30 FPS. In the scene where Zoe is forced to talk to Queenie, I was getting 18. It wasn't a problem there; there's very little movement anyway.

I have a GTX 960, that might help.

And yeah, DFC is not a shooter or a fast paced game, so you don't really "need" high framerates. But the games just looks better running smooth :)

But the game is perfectly playable, even with low framerates around the 20s.

#39 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:38

Running along the bricks I get 30+ F/S.

#40 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:05

OK, I've run into a problem 4.2.1.8. I finished talking to Queenie and she flew away on her chair. The game saved and I found Zoe back in her apartment, unable to pick up the dead emergency power cell and also unable to leave the apartment. Seems to me this is an old problem that seems to have returned.

I going to reload the game just before the Queenie discussion and try again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GoG, 4.1.1 issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users