44 replies to this topic

#1 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:50

The GoG staff are currently looking into the issues with the latest patch (4.1.1) that was released on GoG.com earlier in December.

Players have reported several issues, and the most prominent ones seem to be with loading scenes and savegames, getting stuck at the black loading screen with audio still playing (or similar). 

The staff over on GoG have asked us to tell anyone that are having problems with the patch, to write their support department.

In the issue report, please add a short description of the issue and attach your DxDiag info as well as the Unity player log for the game.

For information on how to obtain these files, please see the following section of our FAQ.

GoG contact information and forms can be found through their website here.

Thanks for your patience and understanding while we try to figure out what the cause of these issues are. :)

We will update this topic further as we get more information from the GoG staff. 

• khh, Riaise and bongboy like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#2 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 January 2016 - 17:15

I've just sent a support ticket to GOG, but it wouldn't let me attach the output log, so I thought I'd put it here instead so that you can have a look instead. :)

Attached Files

• Morten likes this

#3 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 18:09

Sent! If you need my output_log file too, ask for it and I'll attach it Morten

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#4 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6117 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 19:00

DxDiag in this post instead of sent to GOG's support nirvana.

No Galaxy on this PC, so no output log. :)

Attached Files

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7064 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 January 2016 - 21:15

DxDiag in this post instead of sent to GOG's support nirvana.

No Galaxy on this PC, so no output log. :)

The output_log file is generated by the game, not a supporting application. It's in the Dreamfall Chapters_Data subdirectory of the install directory (path for other systems than windows is in Morten's FAQ thread).

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3048 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 22:11

I'm really, really curious about what kind of bug this is.

It doesn't make sense (to me) for it to be in the game itself, otherwise the GoG patcher wouldn't be the only installation method that has a problem. At the very least, Galaxy would have the same issue.

But if the problem is in the patcher, then it seems to make no sense for them to ask for dxdiag files; the patcher itself shouldn't use any part of DirectX.

Morten, when the issue is resolved, I wonder how much you could tell us about what caused it. :)

• khh likes this

#7 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 06 January 2016 - 00:00

I'm really, really curious about what kind of bug this is.

It doesn't make sense (to me) for it to be in the game itself, otherwise the GoG patcher wouldn't be the only installation method that has a problem. At the very least, Galaxy would have the same issue.

But if the problem is in the patcher, then it seems to make no sense for them to ask for dxdiag files; the patcher itself shouldn't use any part of DirectX.

Morten, when the issue is resolved, I wonder how much you could tell us about what caused it. :)

My (uninformed) take on this is that GOG is stepping up and taking responsibility in case it is a problem with their patch, but they're also checking logs in case they find something that we need to fix. So far they've not asked us to do anything, aside from forwarding any emails we might get.

It's a real shame no one contacted us during Christmas (well, except for you guys; we dropped the ball on that) but I'm very happy that GOG is speaking directly to affected customers and trying to chase down the problem on their side. This wouldn't happen with other digital distribution channels. GOG guys are good guys.

Hopefully this can be sorted quickly. I'm really upset that we left so many players unsupported during the holidays (even if there was little we could do), and we'll learn what we can from this experience. Not the least of which is to download and test the GOG patches ourselves, something we always do with Steam.

• Vainamoinen, Riaise, Indrid Cold and 2 others like this

#8 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:55

Not the least of which is to download and test the GOG patches ourselves, something we always do with Steam.

Truly, an excellent idea.

• Mr Moo likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#9 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 07 January 2016 - 21:58

I have the same issue both on Steam and with the stand-alone version.

(Edit: everything was working fine with the U5 Beta).

#10 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7064 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 January 2016 - 22:04

I have the same issue both on Steam and with the stand-alone version.

(Edit: everything was working fine with the U5 Beta).

By the stand-alone version, do you mean the one on Humble?

Could you upload your log? The location where you can find them is specified in the FAQ. You're almost certainly experiencing a different issue, though.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#11 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 07 January 2016 - 22:15

By the stand-alone version, do you mean the one on Humble?

Could you upload your log? The location where you can find them is specified in the FAQ. You're almost certainly experiencing a different issue, though.

Yes, the one on Humble (and Steam too).

I have installed the latest update when it was released but it did not change anything. I haven't replayed the game since because of this issue. I will post my log.

Edit: logs sent.

#12 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 00:19

Yes, the one on Humble (and Steam too).

I have installed the latest update when it was released but it did not change anything. I haven't replayed the game since because of this issue. I will post my log.

Edit: logs sent.

As far as anyone knows, I believe, only the GOG version is affected, meaning it doesn't happen with Steam or Humble versions. Are you saying you can't load up saved games with Steam and Humble?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#13 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:55

As far as anyone knows, I believe, only the GOG version is affected, meaning it doesn't happen with Steam or Humble versions. Are you saying you can't load up saved games with Steam and Humble?

Yes, that is what I am saying or almost: strangely, only the latest ones from Book Four can be loaded up. All the other I tried (from any book) failed and I got the black screen/audio only thing. I reported my issue in another topic but only one other had randomly the same problem. My issue is not random, it happened every time with the same savegame. I tried my savegames from different playthrough but it also failed. I haven't played the game since, that's why I am using the past tense. I suppose the game did not patch itself since. :)

Edit: I reported the issue with the bug tool at the time.

As I played Book Four straight from beginning to end, I did not notice the issue until I wanted to start my second playthrough.

#14 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:27

Would you mind uploading the log directly here, in a reply? :)

It's just that then we can't be 100% sure we're looking at the correct log, as we can't really identify who actually sent reports from the in-game tool other than by the computer name, which is not really a very good identifier.

Thanks!

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#15 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:47

Here you are. Thanks in advance for the fix!

• Morten likes this

#16 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:55

Can't really see anything that indicates something is wrong with the game from what the log you sent shows.  :wacko: You are definitely not getting out of the loading screen, right?

Also, from what the log tells, this is not the same issue as in the GoG version. The logs from people having the issue in the GoG version clearly indicates errors with not being able to load certain assets, which in turn gives a null reference exception, which basically means something is missing and the application cannot continue properly. None of which I see in the log you just uploaded.

So, good news: It's not the same issue as the latest GoG version.

Bad news: I don't know what might cause your issue from the log. Things seem to run properly.

:blink:

EDIT: I forgot to say..

However, the only thing that might stand out is that when you load the savegame, there's an indication that the game actually runs the loading function 3 times in one go. Which may explain why you have trouble after loading. I will investigate this further.

• Clairobscur likes this

#17 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:22

I just launched the game and some savegames that were not loading up before are now but randomly. Some cannot load up at all like the "Border Mountains": I quit and relaunched the game four times to make sure.

I then get the black loading screen with audio.

Could it be somehow related to Steam? I know it updated since I played in December.

Edit: I will try the game on my ultrabook if it meets the minimum requirements. I was so busy with work that I did not even think of it.

#18 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:23

Yeah, as I said in the end of my previous post; I think that what you're seeing is that a routine for loading a savegame is started multiple times, which actually is possible right now. This can be done in some cases by spam-clicking the loading button which issues the Load Savegame command in the application, so that it issues more than one call to it. I guess it can also occur if your computer is issuing too many click commands (with only one mouse-click) to the game's engine for some reason. We've definitely seen that happen before. I guess that may be an issue with I/O drivers or hardware.

I've gone into the code and fixed that now, making sure we don't allow more than one call to the Load-function at a time, so it will be in with the next patch of the game.

That said, I want to clarify that this is not the issue players with the GoG version are encountering. From my standing point, it seems as though the GoG patcher has in some way altered some files/resources that we sent them, so they are not working in the game (corrupted). We still have yet to hear back from the people at GoG about their findings/results.

Thanks again for all your patience. I hope we can resolve the issue shortly! :)

• khh and Clairobscur like this

#19 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:30

I just launched the game and some savegames that were not loading up before are now but randomly. Some cannot load up at all like the "Border Mountains": I quit and relaunched the game three times to make sure.

I then get the black loading screen with audio.

Could it be somehow related to Steam? I know it updated since I played in December.

I don't really know. It might be, but I wouldn't think so.  :unsure:

I'd much rather think this is an input-issue. 

Edit: I will try the game on my ultrabook if it can handle the minimum requirements. I was so busy with work that I did not even think of it.

If you are playing the game (when you can load saves, that is) just fine, and don't have enormously big performance troubles, I wouldn't think that's what's causing the issue either.

• Clairobscur likes this

#20 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:36

If it's OK with you, Clairobscur, could me maybe continue this conversation in PM?

At this point we know your issue is not connected the those that have downloaded the game through GoG - which is the subject of this topic - and it doesn't really belong here. So, I'd much rather we talked further in PM or another topic that's more relevant. :)

• Clairobscur likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GoG, 4.1.1 issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users