• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic

Mystic

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 14:41

Hi! I've posted this thread in Steam forums and now I'm curious to know what RTG forum users think as well  :)

It's been years since I played Dreamfall: TLJ, so while waiting for Book 5 I've rewatched a summary of all the cinematics in Dreamfall: TLJ and it did me well, but I have some more doubts to add to others I already have.

1) If I'm not wrong, the Static caused by the presence of Faith on DreamNet –that then extended to the Wire – was one of the things that was delaying the launch of the Dreamer. 

Damien Cavanaugh said that they had to identify what was causing the glitches on DreamNet, at that time he thought that it was actually someone hacking into the network to get control of it and had no idea that it was actually Faith's presence. 

So according to the knowledge Zoë and Damien had back then there were two problems: 
The Static would get worse (it's mentioned that people were already dying) and that supposed person would hijack DreamNet or on the other hand, if they solved that, the Dreamer would be launched, which we know it's what ultimately happened.

My doubt is, from that point on (without knowing anything of Faith), shouldn't it have been their priority to stop the Dreamer to launch and that way, that someone they thought was trying to hijack the project would have nothing to do if it disappeared? 

Instead, Zöe first freed Faith from DreamNet –which was the right thing to do, the poor girl deserved to rest in peace– but that way she left the road cleared for WATI Corp to release the dreamer. 

2) Another doubt is, I'm guessing Zöe decided to do so because Helena Chang told her literally that by freeing Faith "the network would shut down and Dreamcore would be disconnected from the Wire", thus stopping the Static, making Faith rest in peace, avenge Reza and defeat WATI Corp. But why would that mean they'd defeat WATI Corp? the only trouble they had was the Static, and once Faith was gone they had no reason to stop the project so I don't get how Zöe thought that would stop the Dreamer to launch. 

3) So that means either that:
- Helena Chang tricked her into thinking that way she could stop WATI Corp (when in reality it didn't) because she wanted the project to go on and she needed to get rid of the Static and then put her into a coma (or tried to killed her) so she wouldn't cause her/JIVA/WATI more trouble by telling the truth. But that wouldn't make sense of why Helena made contact with Reza in the first place to hand him the datacube with all the data of the Dreamer project. 

- Or Helena handed the datacube to Reza in the beginning because she wanted to sabotage the Dreamer project because she was actually against it, truly thought that freeing Faith would stop the project but she didn't want Zöe to wake up so she wouldn't tell on her and get caught for her own crimes.

Which one is it?

• Indrid Cold and Pawlo_86 like this

#2 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 15:10

My current hypothesis is that Faith never existed to begin with; she was contrived by Helena Chang to manipulate Zoe into tracking down and revealing April Ryan's whereabouts in Arcadia. At the very end of the game Chang tells Zoe that she placed a bug on her the first time they met, so she'd know exactly where Zoe would be at all times and Faith only appeared on screens in Stark when Zoe was the only one around to witness it.

The other place Faith appears is in Winter, and ONLY when Zoe is hooked up to the Dreamachine prototype. Faith never makes an appearance in Arcadia.

#3 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 15:29

I've been wondering the same thing... And it's one of the things I'm afraid Book 5 may not even address. Inconsistencies like that bother me the most.

• aeonfluxx75 likes this

#4 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 15:33

I've been wondering the same thing... And it's one of the things I'm afraid Book 5 may not even address. Inconsistencies like that bother me the most.

Nobody trusts in the Balance anymore?! :D

#5 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 16:31

My current hypothesis is that Faith never existed to begin with; she was contrived by Helena Chang to manipulate Zoe into tracking down and revealing April Ryan's whereabouts in Arcadia. At the very end of the game Chang tells Zoe that she placed a bug on her the first time they met, so she'd know exactly where Zoe would be at all times and Faith only appeared on screens in Stark when Zoe was the only one around to witness it.

The other place Faith appears is in Winter, and ONLY when Zoe is hooked up to the Dreamachine prototype. Faith never makes an appearance in Arcadia.

But even Vagabond mentioned Faith, wouldn't he know any better? I think that Faith was real.

• aeonfluxx75 and Pawlo_86 like this

#6 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 17:11

But even Vagabond mentioned Faith, wouldn't he know any better? I think that Faith was real.

When did he mention Faith? I went through the 'Dreamfall' script just now and found no mention of Faith made by him... Here's the conversation between him and Zoe:

Vagabond: Welcome to the storytime, Zoë.
Zoë: Hello. Am I dead?
Vagabond: I don't know. It doesn't matter here. This is where everything is. Here...you simply are. Alive or dead, you just are. Understand?
Zoë: No. But please go on.
Vagabond: You're special, Zoë.
Zoë: I am?
Vagabond: You are. You are a dreamer.
Zoë: Someone else told me that. Is that good?
Vagabond: It is and it isn't. There's nothing good or bad about it. Like the stars above and the stones below, it simply...is.
Zoë: Oh. So where are we again?
Vagabond: In the storytime. This is where the stories are told, the stories that create the sky and the ground and all that is in between. You see, Zoë, this universe and everything in it is like an endlessly thick book, containing countless stories.
Zoë: That's amazing. Can you tell me one of those stories?
Vagabond: I could, but not now. There's no time. We need to act before it's too late. You're here to tell me a story, Zoë.
Vagabond: You are.
Zoë: I see. What's happening? Why do we have to act?
Vagabond: Because the undreaming is unchained.
Zoë: I don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound good. So where do I begin?
Vagabond: At the beginning, Zoë.
Zoë: At the beginning? It's going to be a long story.
Vagabond: That's fine.
Zoë: Okay... My name is Zoë Castillo, and I think I might be dead, but I'm not sure. My father's name is Gabriel...

Consider what Helena Chang told Zoe during their final encounter:

Helena Chang: "I planted a bug on you when we first met, Zoë. It's been sending me data at regular intervals. I've heard everything you've said. I know everything that's happened.
I've helped you along the way, and now you will help me, because that's the only way you can help Faith, the only way you can avenge Reza and stop WATIcorp."

It was Helena that helped her along the way 'disguised' as Faith.

Helena Chang: "She died while she was inside DreamNet, dreaming a very, very powerful dream. Maybe she's still in that dream, and that's what's spreading across the Wire."

The datacube log of Faith's supposed final few months of testing doesn't show her being hooked up to The Dreamer AT ALL.

Dr. Jeanine Park: "November 5th... We're, uh, we're cleaning out the lab. We can't leave anything behind, or someone might..."

Absolutely EVERYTHING was left behind! Faith's bed, the dollhouse, drawings on the walls, computers, chairs, desks, lockers... literally EVERYTHING. And the supposed laboratory was located in an abandoned doll factory in Russia! How is this not a setup?

• Abnoxious and Starseeker like this

#7 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 January 2016 - 20:37

Faith was mentioned few times in Dreamfall Chapters. I think that Faith was real and she has some connection to April/Saga.

I had a theory that Chang works with Gillmore against Peats. She lied to Zoe and fooled her.

#8 Mystic

Mystic

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 22:57

When did he mention Faith? I went through the 'Dreamfall' script just now and found no mention of Faith made by him... Here's the conversation between him and Zoe:

Vagabond: Welcome to the storytime, Zoë.
Zoë: Hello. Am I dead?
Vagabond: I don't know. It doesn't matter here. This is where everything is. Here...you simply are. Alive or dead, you just are. Understand?
Zoë: No. But please go on.
Vagabond: You're special, Zoë.
Vagabond: You are. You are a dreamer.
Zoë: Someone else told me that. Is that good?
Vagabond: It is and it isn't. There's nothing good or bad about it. Like the stars above and the stones below, it simply...is.
Zoë: Oh. So where are we again?
Vagabond: In the storytime. This is where the stories are told, the stories that create the sky and the ground and all that is in between. You see, Zoë, this universe and everything in it is like an endlessly thick book, containing countless stories.
Zoë: That's amazing. Can you tell me one of those stories?
Vagabond: I could, but not now. There's no time. We need to act before it's too late. You're here to tell me a story, Zoë.
Vagabond: You are.
Zoë: I see. What's happening? Why do we have to act?
Vagabond: Because the undreaming is unchained.
Zoë: I don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound good. So where do I begin?
Vagabond: At the beginning, Zoë.
Zoë: At the beginning? It's going to be a long story.
Vagabond: That's fine.
Zoë: Okay... My name is Zoë Castillo, and I think I might be dead, but I'm not sure. My father's name is Gabriel...

Consider what Helena Chang told Zoe during their final encounter:

Helena Chang: "I planted a bug on you when we first met, Zoë. It's been sending me data at regular intervals. I've heard everything you've said. I know everything that's happened.
I've helped you along the way, and now you will help me, because that's the only way you can help Faith, the only way you can avenge Reza and stop WATIcorp."

It was Helena that helped her along the way 'disguised' as Faith.

Helena Chang: "She died while she was inside DreamNet, dreaming a very, very powerful dream. Maybe she's still in that dream, and that's what's spreading across the Wire."

The datacube log of Faith's supposed final few months of testing doesn't show her being hooked up to The Dreamer AT ALL.

Dr. Jeanine Park: "November 5th... We're, uh, we're cleaning out the lab. We can't leave anything behind, or someone might..."

Absolutely EVERYTHING was left behind! Faith's bed, the dollhouse, drawings on the walls, computers, chairs, desks, lockers... literally EVERYTHING. And the supposed laboratory was located in an abandoned doll factory in Russia! How is this not a setup?

Now that you say it, it's true that Faith was injected Morpheus but wasn't connected to any Dreamer at all... it's confusing, but she had to be connected to something because if not, how would they be testing how Morpheus affected her body? I think she had to be connected to some computer of the lab for her to generate those interferences of the doll house in them and that's how it spreaded to DreamNet and the Wire.

I thought the same there, they left everything behind and even leaving Jeanine's reports behind... anyone could think that was a setup. 

#9 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 14:32

Vagabond mentioned her in an optional dialog in Dreamfall chapters. He said 'your sister'.

#10 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 January 2016 - 20:03

Faith in Dreamfall Chapters. She was mentioned by Vagabond and Zoe in ADRIFT and by Abnaxus in DREAMING. Abnaxus confirmed that Faith was Zoe's sister and Dreamer.
  • aeonfluxx75 likes this

#11 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 00:01

Nobody trusts in the Balance anymore?! :D

Believe me, I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong about it. :)

#12 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:06

Faith in Dreamfall Chapters. She was mentioned by Vagabond and Zoe in ADRIFT and by Abnaxus in DREAMING. Abnaxus confirmed that Faith was Zoe's sister and Dreamer.

Yes, because Zoe went to Storytime and told the story there. Zoe believed everything she was told and presented it as such. But Faith wasn't actually real, they were taking advantage of her because the one who started telling the story left it incomplete. The second drawing Saga did of April Ryan's story, there are a few drawings scattered around on the floor. In one of them you can make out a drawing of a girl with the name 'Zoe' on it. Why would a drawing of someone April Ryan never met be on her bedroom floor? Saga drew it and created Zoe; A special girl with an incomplete story. Out of the blue she dropped out university, broke up with Reza and moved back in with her father. She has lost all direction and purpose that she used to have, and she can't understand why. She doesn't want it to be this way but she doesn't know how to fix it. She's got plenty of money to go wherever she wants and buy whatever she wants, but there's nothing she wants and there's nowhere she wants to go. 

So when Faith shows up on screens, talking directly at Zoe, all of a sudden she has a purpose; Find her, save her. 

#13 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:21

But they did meet.  Zoe met April in Dreamfall.  Remember Zoe was in jail, and April was trying to get her out?  Also trying to help Zoe shift back to Stark (not realizing that she was actually a Dreamer, of course).

Plus, Zoe supposedly was of some help to the resistance, of which April was the leader.

#14 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:45

But they did meet.  Zoe met April in Dreamfall.  Remember Zoe was in jail, and April was trying to get her out?  Also trying to help Zoe shift back to Stark (not realizing that she was actually a Dreamer, of course).

Plus, Zoe supposedly was of some help to the resistance, of which April was the leader.

They met several times, that was the whole purpose of Faith. April Ryan didn't need any help, let alone from Zoe. Yet Zoe's persistence was actually what got April killed in the first place! If Zoe hadn't been there, then Crow hadn't gone with her to help. He wouldn't have suggested they check in with Brian, who would propose the White Dragon Reborn. He doesn't know where she is but he know that Crow does. Of course, he volunteers that information right away. 

Brian mentions that he has access to an airship, and how exited he is to finally see the Dark People's Library. Remember that part about having to be invited in order to gain access to the Dark People's City, and invitation is only issued in very special cases? Yeah, that's why The White Dragon Reborn chose this place to hide from what is hunting her; the security. 

Good job, Zoe! You brought the enemy to the one place you shouldn't have. You've killed the White Dragon Reborn and April Ryan too, cause one cannot live without the other. Had Zoe respected April answer that she didn't need help the first time around, this wouldn't have happened. Faith was a tool, one that would motivate Zoe into following-up on it, because it gives her a purpose in life, something she didn't have before Faith stated popping up everywhere. Faith never actually existed to begin with, she is software controlled by Helena Chang. Everything carefully set up so that Zoe would follow the trail and pick up all the items carefully placed there for her to find.

The photograph in April Ryan's old room is not the same one she had in TLJ, this is a different one. You can examine them and look for yourself. The only thing they have in common is the photographer: Marcus Crozier. The reason why he is staying in April's old bedroom is because he is waiting for Zoe to show up and discover April's old photograph that he has planted there for her to find. Helena Chang guides Zoe in the guise of Faith, using the surveillance system to point out the correct room. The photograph gives her a face to look for, her name has also been revealed to her and information about April's disappearance provided by Charlie and Emma.

Time to toss her across the Divide! Marcus works for WATI, by the way. He shows up with the twins and forcefully connects Zoe to the Dreamachine. First stop is Winter, which is part of the Faith simulation software, and Faith sends her onward to Marcuria. She will eventually become so involved in this whole 'Save April Ryan' bluff that she'll connect herself to the Dreamachine, even though she is aware that it is dangerous. Every step of the way is designed so that Zoe will function as Helena Chang's pawn, assisting with the Dreamachine release and sending April Ryan's to her death, thinking she is doing the exact opposite.

• Starseeker likes this

#15 aeonfluxx75

aeonfluxx75

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 February 2016 - 22:10

This is a very interesting hypothesis.  My only issue with it would be the motivation to locate or find April in Arcadia.  My reason for saying that is becuase the people that knew of April's ability to shift or the existence of Arcadia were the two Kin, which disappear/go into hiding/die (the latter being an assumption/insinuation); Emma and Charlie (Emma originally didn't believe her story and Charlie did but they're her friends and wouldn't have gone off telling others of April's "discoveries"); Gordon and Adrian (both of whom we last see in the Guardian's realm)...assuming Adrian (the guardian who stepped down after 200 or 300 years overdue - went back to Stark PTSD unlikely candidate to divulge the score) and Gordon is the 13th guardian still in place -unable to divulge.  There is that Pastor or Priest at Hope Street but again, the motivation for him to spill anything about Arcadia, the Vanguard or the Sentinel to random people or uninvolved parties is unlikely.  Also April no longer posed a threat to any Stark borne initiative.  Besides the April thing, I find this hypothesis brilliant.

I found it I did, a way through the marshes....Orcs don't use it. Orcs don't know it. They go 'round for miles and miles.

#16 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 13:37

This is a very interesting hypothesis.  My only issue with it would be the motivation to locate or find April in Arcadia.  My reason for saying that is becuase the people that knew of April's ability to shift or the existence of Arcadia were the two Kin, which disappear/go into hiding/die (the latter being an assumption/insinuation); Emma and Charlie (Emma originally didn't believe her story and Charlie did but they're her friends and wouldn't have gone off telling others of April's "discoveries"); Gordon and Adrian (both of whom we last see in the Guardian's realm)...assuming Adrian (the guardian who stepped down after 200 or 300 years overdue - went back to Stark PTSD unlikely candidate to divulge the score) and Gordon is the 13th guardian still in place -unable to divulge.  There is that Pastor or Priest at Hope Street but again, the motivation for him to spill anything about Arcadia, the Vanguard or the Sentinel to random people or uninvolved parties is unlikely.  Also April no longer posed a threat to any Stark borne initiative.  Besides the April thing, I find this hypothesis brilliant.

This'll be a long one, sorry about that. Lots of information and still not all of it! :D

I'll start off with addressing what you said about the current guardian, Gordon Halloway.  A guardian of the Balance wouldn't be able to divulge anything, even if they wanted to because their hope and dreams is locked inside the disk, inaccessible during the 1000 year period they serve as guardian. This will allow the person to focus entirely on the balance and redistribute chaos and logic as is necessary. This has obviously not happened to Gordon since he can step down and speak to April.

Remember how there are three trials that every potential guardian must pass in order qualify and gain access to the tower? Gordon were never subject to these tests because he snuck in after April had passed them, so what if he wasn't qualified even after April made him whole again?      

After Gordon was installed as the new guardian, the Collapse happened over in Stark and suddenly there is science and technology popping up in Arcadia.

Remember how April was the fulfillment of a handful of savior prophecies in TLJ? Have a look at the Venar one:  

"One who will bring order to Chaos, only to release Chaos on the innocent. One who will restore the Balance, only to finally break it."

I think it speaks for itself. As for the 'usual suspects' that may have an issue with April involving herself in their business, I have the following:

Brian Westhouse.

He knows that April is a shifter, the existence of Stark, Arcadia and Storytime. As for motivation, he is tainted by the Undreaming and he is human.

The Azadi.

Crow told Zoe many things about April abandoning him 8 years prior, including this:

Crow: 'On top of that, the Azadi were after everyone from Stark, everyone with special powers, everyone who was allied with 'the magicals'.'  

April may not be a threat over in Stark, but she is in Arcadia. She has joined up with the rebellion, who are apparently quite skilled at sabotaging the Azadi projects. The Azadi obviously doesn't know that she is 'The Scorpion' but what Crow told April they know a lot more than what we've been made to believe. 

In the first April-sequence in 'Dreamfall' April is on her way to Marcuria with Chawan, Na'ane and Brynn, let's have a look at some of the dialogue:

Chawan: Our sources in the city may have information.
April: I hope so. But we need to focus on getting the supplies and bringing them back to the swamplands. Everything else is secondary.
Na'ane: They are all depending on us. If another moon passes, the children will be at risk. If they should fall ill...
Chawan: Na'ane is right. We go back as soon as we have what we came for. And we do not engage the enemy within scouting distance of the city.
April: We'll be cautious, Chawan. Now we continue. Another few days due south, and we'll see her. Marcuria.

Brynn: I can't wait to see the city! If it's anything like you've described, April, it must be amazing.
April: It's been a long time. Things change. Come on. Let's move out.

April hasn't been in Marcuria for a long time and doesn't plan on sticking around long either, but in a few days she'll be in Marcuria for a little while, at least. Since nobody appears to have seen her for 10 years (8 years for Crow), This seems to be first time she returns to Marcuria after TLJ. 

Since it appears as if she is second-in-command, I suspect she has been with the rebellion for more than just a couple of days, she may even be 'co-founder'. Brynn mentions that they have informants in Marcuria, so they DO have people who knows things. Benrime Salmin, for example; She is a Rebel sympathizer who provides room and board for rebels visiting Marcuria. 

When Zoe has her first shift to Arcadia, April has already arrived. We know this because Brynn is there eating breakfast and he knows something is up because the Journeyman Inn i closed for business and Zoe's sad habit of name-dropping without discreetion:

Brynn: Benrime? Visitor.
Benrime: What are you on about, Brynn?
Brynn: She's standing right next to you.
Zoë: Um, hello?
Benrime: Oh! Blessed be the Six, child, you startled me!

Benrime: How did you get in? We don't open until midday.
Zoë: Open what?
Benrime: The inn, child? What do you think? Are you soft-witted or... 
By the Balance, you are from...from the other side, aren't you?

Zoë: You don't understand! I have absolutely no idea what's going on! I'm almost starting to think that those stories Charlie told me about April Ryan are true.

Let's stop for one second and talk chorology and timeline. Not all parts are in chonological order cause if they are, then we're dealing with a huge continuity issue that is a game-breaker:

After the April introduction sequence we're back to Zoe who arrives in Newport, Venice. As you may recall later that same day she is hooked up to the Dreamachine prototype and ends up in Marcuria after Faith has booted her out of Winter. Since Brynn is already in Marcuria when she arrives, April's intro sequence doesn't fit in because of what she told Brynn: "Another few days due south, and we'll see her. Marcuria." So since the game started two days earlier(11:30 on January 21st 2219), the April sequence occurred several days before the game even started. This opens up the possibility that more sequences may be in the wrong order, and/or give the impression that simultanous events occur at different times. With that in mind, Kian Alvane time!

In the first Kian sequence, he is instructed to travel to Marcuria to locate and assassinate 'The Scorpion' posthaste, I'll edit the dialogue a bit to make it tidier since the Six have the annoying habit of splitting everything into bits so everyone gets to say something:

The Six: We have just had word from our armies in the East, and it worries us deeply. Our dearest Apostle, we have a very important task for you.
Kian: Yes, Mistress.
The Six: Apostle, you know how some Eastlanders still resist our noble efforts at uniting their fractured nations and bringing the Word to their Goddesless lives. The Mission continues unabated, of course. Nothing shall stand between the Glory of the Goddess and those lost ones who have strayed from her light. 
But still there are a few who have chosen to oppose us. Those misguided pagans have become a dangerous obstacle in the Path. Apostle Kian, we need you to travel East to those heathen lands to bring the Word to the heretics. There is a man who leads these rebellious few, these insurgents. A man whose hands are soiled with the blood of many Trueborn. A Daemon.
You must travel tonight to the havens, Apostle, and board a cloudship bound for the city of Marcuria. When you reach your destination, you will seek out this man, this...this butcher. They call him 'the Scorpion'. You must seek him out, and you must convert him.

They obviously don't know exactly who they're looking for, but they appear to know something since they're sending him to Marcuria after they heard from their armies in the east. Since April had already arrived in Marcuria at this point someone must've leaked information to the Six that members of the rebelion had arrived in Marcuria, you don't send your most devout and skilled assassin unless you've got something solid to go on.

When he leaves, the Six has this to say:

Yona: Can we trust him?
Maha: If not him, then who? He is our most faithful Apostle.
Abya: He knows not to question our word. He will complete his mission.
Maha: The Prophet was adamant. There is much resting on this task. It is the last obstacle, the Prophet said. When it is done--
Abya: The light of the Goddess will wash across the world like a tidal wave, drowning all those who lack faith.
Yona: May that day come swiftly. And may the Goddess aid the Apostle in his mission. The future of our Empire rests on his shoulders now...  

Remember the part when April climbs the scaffolding and listens in on the conversation between the Prophet and Sister Sahya? Since Sister Sahya can clearly see his face since she is standing right in front of him, why the disguise and why whisper? He either knows someone is watching, or is taking precautions in case someone is. Why would he go through the trouble of doing that if nobody knows who he is? I think this is someone is a well-known face to the Marcurians, and likely the rebels too. Since he was the one that requested for Kian to be sent, without consulting Sister Sayha even, he must know about members of the rebelion having arrived in Marcuria.

Then there's the connection between Brian Westhouse and the Azadi:

Brian tells both Benrime and Zoe that he visited the Azadi Empire after TLJ ended:

He told Zoe: "I passed as a traveler in their lands. It's not closed to outsiders, and as long as you respect the Azadi and their customs, they give you passage. It's such a different culture from what we're used to, but they are an interesting people, and I found my visit to be highly...educational. What they're doing in Marcuria, though... It's certainly controversial. On one hand they brought freedom and peace. On the other hand...  They've rounded up the magicals, stuck them in a ghetto and God knows what they intend to do with them next."

He told Benrime: "I wouldn't know what the Azadi are like here in Marcuria, but in Sadir they were reserved yet friendly. And as a man, I had less freedom than a woman. Still, I encountered no animosity. People took me in, fed me, told me about their history and religion. I learned a lot. Whatever the Azadi have done here, they are not cruel or evil. They do put a lot of faith in their Goddess and their Empresses, yes. But it's heartfelt."

Azadi sympathizer. Maybe that's how he was able to offer Zoe and Crow passage to The Dark People's city on a cloudship owned by the Azadi? When April asked him about the whereabouts of the White Dragon Reborn, he had this to say:

Brian Westhouse: "I may know where to find her. I met a fellow traveler - a Dolmari from the Rose Court, actually - on a ship from Ge'en to Irhad, not long ago. He told me he'd been to the Dark People's library. Not many people are allowed there, and it was a great privilege. While he was there, however, he said that he was introduced to a pale, white haired woman who introduced herself as the White of the Draic Kin. Now, I don't know if she's still there, or how you'll get to the Dark People's City, but it should at least get you on the right path."

Apparently he doesn't bother to offer April a ride on the Azadi-owned cloudship. Lucky for her that there's a Shadowship docked in the Marcurian harbor at that same exact moment, and let's not forget the reason why the White Dragon Reborn went there to begin with:

White Dragon Reborn: "I'm in exile. Someone hunts the Kin. That's why I'm here, and why I'm wearing this skin. It's tight and uncomfortable, but it conceals me, and it makes some humans look at me with admiration."

I have a hard time believing his Dolmari traveller story, if the White Dragon Reborn feels the need to both hide out in a high-security place and disguise herself as a human, would she really introduce herself to random people?

Then there's this unforgettable moment:

White of the Kin: You sound so familiar.
Brian Westhouse: You've heard my name before?
White of the Kin: Your presence, your being, sounds familiar. And also...also disconcerting. I feel a prickling on my skin. What do you call it? Goose bumps?  

I've got a lot more to say about Brian Westhouse, especially when it comes to how technology appeared in Arcadia when it shouldn't be there at all. But I've gone on long enough so I'll save it for another post, assuming you're interested :) 

• inspector and Starseeker like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users