#1 Nodachi

Nodachi

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:16

Hi everyone.

I've tried to cope with the issue single-handedly, but unfortunately that's not an option anymore.

I've currently my DF:C installed with all the released books present. The problem is, I can't patch it through Steam properly. For example, it seems RTG has released another stability patch since I last played the game. Steam states 314,6 MB are required to download the patch. I have 16 GB free on my Steam installation disk and 60+ GB free on my system disk, so, naturally, I expect everything to work in no-brain mode. However, halfway through peacefully downloading the patch in background Steam throws a "Not enough free disk space" error. I check it, and - yep, Steam installation disk really has all its free space mysteriously gone.

There's some high Arcadian magic involved, if you ask me. Not that I'm Azadi or something.

How is the patching process done? Does the game need more space to "repack" the resources after downloading the patch? Just how much space exactly do I need to get through it (because having more free space than the game installation itself is and still being unable to patch it makes literally no sense to me)?

A little help here?

"Ah, the internal monologue. True mark of the distinguished adventure gamer." -- Flo

I want to believe :crow:

#2 Nodachi

Nodachi

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:29

Another observation. Every update before this also had the same problem. After finishing the updates before the previously disappeared free space is free again, so I'm under strong impression that those "vanishing gigabytes" are used for some sort of temp files.

"Ah, the internal monologue. True mark of the distinguished adventure gamer." -- Flo

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:41

Steam often uses way more disk space for the install than the size of the game its self. 16gb seems like alot to me for a patch but thats hardly anything for steam to work with when patching a game.

I do remember GTA V hogging something stupid like 200gb for original the install, at the time that caused me issues, and I just had to find it more disk space by uninstalling some other games. I got 100gb or so of that back after it was done installing.

This is most likely a question for steam support as it's Valves client. But I think you just need more disk space.

#4 Nodachi

Nodachi

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:58

I'm already pushing the question in Steam Support. Yet if someone here knows the solution, I'm all open to hear it :)

#5 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 16:27

Yikes. Unfortunately, it sounds like you will have to find more disk space, at least temporarily :(

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#6 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 24 December 2015 - 16:27

You probably just need to clear up some space on your computer. Try deleting some stuff. :)

#7 Nodachi

Nodachi

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:16

Got through the process by flushing Steam. After that it got satisifed with temporarily grabbing 14 Gb. So it may pass as a temporary solution.

I still hold my ticket on Steam Support open, so I'll update you on any (useful) details I get from them, although it appears to be highly unlikely.

Til' the Christmas mess ends anyway.

*grumbling Gribbler*

• khh and Mr Moo like this

#8 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:00

Where is your windows swap file going to? It might be writing to that drive.

(me nerd. am. I.) Anyways.  You might want to check that.

#9 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 17:03

Nah. Knowing about Windows swap file isn't nerdy. It's barely geeky. :) Nevertheless, it's a good idea to check where it currently resides, and how large it is. Is Windows managing it, or is it a fixed size? Stuff like that. :)

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#10 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 29 December 2015 - 19:06

If Steam is downloading compressed files then you'll need enough disk space for both the downloaded file and its extracted contents.  After the game has been patched both will probably be deleted.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: update, steam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users