8 replies to this topic

#1 zorbama

zorbama

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:51

Hi,

I recently started playing Dreamfall Chapters. The game looked fine, with minor graphical issues discussed in other threads (white dots, etc.), however, when I got to Marcuria in book 3, the town was full of graphical artifacts, as shown in these screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/oGaPr

I'm running Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE, 64-bit, with AMD graphics. I hear AMD drivers can cause issues, but I don't have serious graphic problems in other games.

I appreciate any help!

-Amir

#2 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3558 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 18 December 2015 - 13:04

Some pointers:

Are you playing the latest build?

If on Steam, have you tried verifying your install?

If elsewhere, have you tried reinstalling?

Hopefully someone can confirm it, but to me this looks like missing resources.

• Morten and khh like this

#3 zorbama

zorbama

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 19:29

Some pointers:

Are you playing the latest build?

If on Steam, have you tried verifying your install?

If elsewhere, have you tried reinstalling?

Hopefully someone can confirm it, but to me this looks like missing resources.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the game on Steam. It auto-update to patch 4.1.1 the very day I found the problems (I don't think it was the patch, I returned to previous chapters and they looked fine).

I ran a cache verification and it seems that it was validated successfully, so it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with the installation. Unless I'm missing something?

#4 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 19:36

Hmm... That is strange. That does really look like it should be a missing asset. 

I suppose it could be a weird issue with something in Unity not playing nice with either Linux or your graphics card. 

Do you think you could post your full specs and maybe an output log? That might help. (Info about where that's at is in this FAQ, if you're not sure where to find it. :) )

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#5 zorbama

zorbama

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 19:59

Hmm... That is strange. That does really look like it should be a missing asset. 

I suppose it could be a weird issue with something in Unity not playing nice with either Linux or your graphics card. 

Do you think you could post your full specs and maybe an output log? That might help. (Info about where that's at is in this FAQ, if you're not sure where to find it. :) )

Specs:
Intel core i7-4790
AMD Radeon R7 260X (2GB RAM), with the latest proprietary driver in the Linux Mint repositories (15.20.1013-150227a-180955E-ATI, according to the driver control centre)
8GB RAM
1TB Hard drive
Linux Mint XFCE, 64-bit
Sorry if I left something out, I haven't done this in a while, haha.

I couldn't see whether the FAQ specified anything about where to locate the log file in Linux, but I did find a file called player.log. I hope it helps: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing (file was too big to attach to post).

#6 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 January 2016 - 14:33

Hmm, can't see any obvious indications in the log of missing assets, so I'd much rather assume there's something in the shaders used for those certain assets that is not supported by your graphics driver.

We haven't been able to extensively test Mint, so I can't say if there's something to do with your AMD driver on that specific OS, but I certainly wouldn't count it out.

Also, such artifacts sometimes stem from the application nearing its allocated memory limit. Seeing as you have 8GB RAM that shouldn't be a problem as long as the OS can allocate sufficient memory for the application.

However, I'd put my bet on this being a graphics driver issue. Can't say exactly what you can do to fix it, but you could look into trying a few different driver versions maybe. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#7 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 15:13

We haven't been able to extensively test Mint, so I can't say if there's something to do with your AMD driver on that specific OS, but I certainly wouldn't count it out. :)

In case you don't know, Mint 17.x is essentially Ubuntu 14.04 as far as most things are concerned. The available drivers should be the exact same thing in both.

#8 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 January 2016 - 15:17

Cool, I see. I'm not that Linux-y of a person. :P

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#9 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 16:12

I agree that it looks like a driver issue, that the driver in use doesn't know how to render a particular resource or asset.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: marcuria, glitches, artifacts, linux, amd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users