Photo

We want your honest feedback, help and suggestions!

• Please log in to reply
583 replies to this topic

#41 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 December 2015 - 13:51

Oh, here's a super-detailed one: Consider enabling catching the rat in Marcuria by first combining the pipe and the piece of cheese in the inventory, and then putting it on the ground. I wanted to do that but couldn't, you have to put the pipe on the ground first and then put a piece of cheese in it. I ended up going with the go-to-sleep plant and my Kian felt like a dork.

Fair point. Good suggestion.

• debro, Igelwelt and Adam Jensen like this

#42 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 December 2015 - 14:14

I'll edit this as the day goes on:

1) Improve the 2nd interlude search (already mentioned by many)

2) Book 4 needs an extra puzzle before Yaga. I understand the humor of not showing how they got the elgwan but perhaps she and crow could wander the city until said mount is spotted then crow starts whispering a plot in Zoe's ear and maybe they go find something for a hat and fake beard etc (then can cut to them riding).  Minimal voice recording needed I would think as it would be an item hunt around the city mainly.

3) Book 4 needs more travel!  Like, we want to see some pretty scenery as the leapfur races thru the mountains and starts to climb.

4) More creative puzzle design like the last interlude where you had to use sound and also intuit what was the common theme for each group of memories.

5) Ulvic should turn his head to watch crow fly away after their conversation

6) It should be possible for the bot or a guard to kill zoe if she persists on not following her proper path to Mira or back.

• Igelwelt likes this

#43 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 17 December 2015 - 14:19

Ok I'll go ahead and make a list of my own

In general. My girlfriend and I are big fans of puzzles and love solving them. We would love some more puzzles ... but we understand this is asking for a lot!

Save system: create a profiles system if possible ;)

Give us some more reading. Would it be possible to have some Arcadia or Stark stories on some books/holobooks to read? It'd be awesome....but it's lots of work, I know.

That said:

book 1 is fine as is

book 2:
- Choice to help Baruti. I wouldn't make it a choice. Take away the option to "think about it"
- Change Kian's "Kiss her" option into "Let her kiss you"

book 3:
- make beginning dialogue with Enu/Likho (especially Likho) a little shorter

- rat puzzle. Give us an alternative. Maybe we don't necessarily have to use a rat in the pipes? Also justiry the fact that we can't use our cloak spell with the two guards.
- make dialogue with tech guy (sorry forgot his name) little shorter, if possible.

book4:
- I'd make a quick puzzle with the library and Enu. Maybe something that helps finding Abnaxus's abode? Or some info about Yethe..or about Brian!
- some more puzzles for April in the forest would be awesome (on the way to Yaga?)...maybe also one on the way to the mountains?

There are lots of minor narrative details I have in mind but they wind up being all questions that might be answered in book 5! So I won't bore you with them ;)

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: sorry I re-read now and it's very telegraphic at points....if you need me to I can explain the motives for all these suggestions :)

EDIT2: after a couple of weeks and some more posts I though of something that could be added: some books in the enclave's library. Some of these books might explain a bit more about the Azadi and where they came from, as well as other magical races and so on. I know this resonates with a kickstarter point. Also: when the game is done if there are unanswered questions, they might end up in the library or maybe in Propast in a book store?

Edited by the red of the kin, 15 January 2016 - 07:58.

• Jecica, agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen and 5 others like this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#44 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 17 December 2015 - 14:26

My -more than- two cents:

1. I really hate forced walking. I want to have the option of when to run and when not.

2. Please, make all dialogues skipable. It's annoying if you have to hear the same things again when it's not your choice (you had to exit before a save point, your computer crashed, etc).

3. I know this means more dialogues and added cost but I'd love to have more things to do when exploring Marcuria. Propast feels like a complete experience but Marcuria feels a little empty, particularly when it's Zoe exploring it in Book 3. Book 4 fared much better in this aspect but felt a bit short in the bit between Marcuria and the Purple mountains. More flavour comments would be greatly appreciated.

4. More puzzles, even really simple ones, are always welcome.

5. The bit with the hotspots Vainamoinen has mentioned, i.e. them not being available before dialogue has ceased.

6. After you are done with the tools, maybe Kian could comment on the fact that he has to return them? I tried returning them but Kian wouldn't. I don't know if it was a bug or it was too soon, but this way I actually made a choice it didn't feel I was making.

7. I'd love to translate the dialogues in Greek. If there is an easy way of providing us with localization tools that would be great.

• agirlnamedbob, thelj, yodagreen3 and 4 others like this

#45 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3070 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 14:28

- Change Kian's "Kiss her" option into "Let her kiss you"

I second that, actually!

• Jecica, WorldsReunited, Riaise and 9 others like this

#46 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 17 December 2015 - 14:37

6. After you are done with the tools, maybe Kian could comment on the fact that he has to return them? I tried returning them but Kian wouldn't. I don't know if it was a bug or it was too soon, but this way I actually made a choice it didn't feel I was making.

Or just let us close the hatches again, then we'd know we're done with the tools and can return them. I was waiting for that to happen, because I saw it as logical that we had to remove those traces of our illicit activities, but suddenly that was not an option... I understand that it causes issues with the timing of the puzzle of entering the house with Ferdows in it, but perhaps Kian can say something, as Hellegennes says? This could benefit from a rethink, put Martin and his beanie on the case!

• WorldsReunited, Riaise, thelj and 8 others like this

#47 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2724 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 December 2015 - 14:42

The only thing I can really ask to get streamlined is Kian's book 2 segments. They can feel quite drawn out and long-winded.

Yeah but not in "Trials". Just in "Anamnesis". Boring time!

• Igelwelt likes this

#48 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 December 2015 - 14:48

- rat puzzle. Give us an alternative. Maybe we don't necessarily have to use a rat in the pipes?

Yes! This is exactly what I was going to say. I was convinced that I would have to use the apples to bung up the machine, so the whole murdering a rat thing felt really uncomfortable and out of place (and I know that's probably just me, but I still don't like it). If it can't be changed, then could you at least make the rat-in-the-pipe cutscene skippable? Those noises... :(

I'd also agree that the "kiss" option should be worded differently and the Ferdows cutscene should be a bit more interactive. But I do like the picture hunt as it is. Maybe as V said, just make the hotspots trigger from slightly further away?

• WorldsReunited, Clairobscur, Alcarmo and 6 others like this

#49 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 14:58

In general. My girlfriend and I are big fans of puzzles and love solving them. We would love some more puzzles ... but we understand this is asking for a lot!

I JUST HAVE TO ADD... if that is, for some reason, actually attempted – and I didn't dare to ask that last page, and I don't assume it'll happen – the focus could be on diplomacy/conversation based and inventory/combination based puzzles. We've had an awful lot of find the hotspot like challenges, and the complete edition is supposed to have more of that as we search for library books. Yet that's not quite the art of the adventure game puzzle. :mellow:

• Riaise, Igelwelt, the red of the kin and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#50 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 17 December 2015 - 15:08

While I think of it: it would be nice to learn more about Wit.

A Zoë's journal for Arcadia would be awesome.

• Riaise, Maxime Girard, Alcarmo and 4 others like this

#51 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 15:17

Cutting stuff is perfectly fine — and we will accept suggestions! — along as it doesn't break the story or leave out important information. We absolutely believe in trimming some of the less-fun parts. We just need some input on what those are.

I know you are looking for input from players on how to "improve" the game.

What is considered fun or less fun is so subjective. Even if a few hundred people spoke up and said they didn't enjoy a certain part that doesn't mean the majority feel the same way. For example some people complained about the saga picture puzzle, but does it really mean the majority didn't like it as is? I like it just as it is and it  is now my favorite puzzle of the entire series of TLJ games and the rubber ducky is my second favorite.

My concern is not enough people will speak up and say they like the game just as it is. So, I am putting in my two cents worth - nothing needs to be changed, I like it as it is.

Jet off Queenie,jet off. :)

• agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen, Alcarmo and 2 others like this

#52 Valy

Valy

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNeuffen (Germany)

Posted 17 December 2015 - 15:17

The biggest thing for me:

If possible try to add more animations to help immersion in the game world.

- facial animations to show emotions.

- animation for doing things, eg. picking something up.

When you fail, eg. in MR. London's warehouse the game just sets you back a few feet. It took me some time to realize that I just failed. And then I tried merciless were I could go and were not. I think you should give some feedback that Zoe is in a dangerous situation and she can die if she makes a wrong move. Best solution: Ad a small sequence were she gets shot if she fails, let the player click 'try again'. Or at least show a message like: "Zoe's journey just ended..."  To be clear: I don't want you to punish the player for failing, I want you to add tension to a dramatic situation.

• khh, Retodon8, Ninja Dodo and 2 others like this

#53 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 17 December 2015 - 15:19

I think the only real thing I would like to see an improvement on, is better descriptions of your current task(s). If for any reason you didnt really catch, remember or understand a line of dialogue that gives the 'quest', you're basically left to wander around until get lucky.

Two examples:
From book 3, you are told to go to Smithys on Marcuria green. I ran around the green, found nothing, and then had forgotten exactly where I had been told to go. A slightly better description of a such a basic task would have helped me no end. That is one of the only times in the game I have been truly frustrated by just not knowing where I should be going.
From book 4, A better description of your task other than just break the wards in the saga interlude. Saga kinda says out loud what you should do, but I could have used a recap on how to achieve the goal after I had failed the first few times. Her comments on a failed attempt are not very helpful.

Other than that, I really wouldn't change much. Its just some times I think DFC breaks the golden rule of never leave the player not knowing what he/she should be doing/going.
  • Igelwelt and robertc like this

#54 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2015 - 15:27

Marcuria capture the rat puzzle:

Kian can take from the plates endlessly without changing the inventory(still one item each)
and without food disapearing on the plates. He should stop if he has an item and then say something like "I don´t need more"

Propast:

The whole key to the underground tunnels is changing color in inventory depending on the adapter it uses,
but not in the animation when zoe opens the hatch.

Outside of baba yagas hut:

I can not interact with the window (the mouse is a white circle)
but I can see it is blinking, Zoe should at least comment on that, be able to look at it.

General things:

maybe let the player do more stupid things and let him suffer smaller consequences like:
leave the garden in the zoe/hileriss puzzle,
run to the guards on the shore of ge´en and die,
In marcurias make some guards follow kian (so that he has to escape them) and/or let him die if he does fail to avoid them properly.
(with "die" I mean a reset and white screen like in ge´en.)

make EVERY line of dialouge skipable. (only an issue in replays)

add a stroking crow animation for zoe (VERY important!)

make different hand symbols (agressive and friendly)
(Hand symbol in front of queenie means pushing the little girl in the river,
Hand symbol for Enu(library) and Crow means stroking them... the symbol should be different, it is confusing (what, why should I want to punch Enu?)

For the final version: eliminate the choices screens at the beginning and end of books and make
the overview of c&c a menu item in the main menu

(where choices and corresponding consequences if they had happend yet are being displayed.)

Don´t show the main screen (press A or space") after each book.

If possible eliminate popping scenery: in marcuria and propast far away houses or dirtstains on walls
(boxes in front of pandemonium, some lanterns at chinese market, signs) are still popping in existance when
zoe comes near. It is a bit irritating and has a "glitch in the matrix" effect.

• Barentity, Igelwelt and the red of the kin like this

#55 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 December 2015 - 15:27

I think the only real thing I would like to see an improvement on, is better descriptions of your current task(s). If for any reason you didnt really catch, remember or understand a line of dialogue that gives the 'quest', your basically left to wander around until get lucky.

Two examples:
From book 3, Kian is told to go to Smithys on Marcuria green. I ran around the green, found nothing, and then had forgotten exactly were I had been told to go. A slightly better description of a such a basic task would have helped me no end. That is one of the only times in the game I have been truly frustrated by just not knowing where I should be going.
From book 4, A better description of your task other than just break the wards in the saga interlude. Saga kinda says out loud what you should do, but I could have used a recap on how to achieve the goal after I had failed the first few times. Her comments on a failed attempt are not very helpful.

Other than that, I really wouldn't change much. Its just some times I think DFC breaks the golden rule of never leave the player not knowing what he/she should be doing/going.

I am not sure if this is what you want, but if you press 'G' at any time, the Goals window should pop-up, telling you what your current goal in the game is.

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#56 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 17 December 2015 - 15:47

I forgot the most important: animated Zoë's hair!

• NeilClaimer and debro like this

#57 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 17 December 2015 - 16:35

For the final version: eliminate the choices screens at the beginning and end of books and make

the overview of c&c a menu item in the main menu

(where choices and corresponding consequences if they had happend yet are being displayed.)

Don´t show the main screen (press A or space") after each book.

ooooh this is a good one! Nice!

• Igelwelt likes this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#58 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 17 December 2015 - 16:53

I am not sure if this is what you want, but if you press 'G' at any time, the Goals window should pop-up, telling you what your current goal in the game is.

You would be right thats not what I want ;) My point was the 'G' goals had poor descriptions on occasions. Maybe that wasnt clear in my original point. So if you had forgotten, or for some reason missed the original dialogue, you would struggle.
That only happened to me for the two examples I gave. Which seemed to me to be points in the game I should have not had any issues. I remember checking the task list after wandering around the green, and thinking, 'wait.. is this Smithys a place or a person... I don't remember'
  • khh, Bruno and Igelwelt like this

#59 Iznogood

Iznogood

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 17:03

1. Filters and blurs, as I've often repeated, should have an option to deactivate. That especially applies to the peripheral vision blur, which appears almost all encompassing on non wide screen monitors.

THIS - The lack of focus quite literally makes my eyes hurt and gives me a headache.

I had no problem before the upgrade to unity 5, but after that I can only in play in small sessions at about half an hour before I need to take a break and look at something that is actually in focus, like looking out the window.

• agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen, Igelwelt and 1 other like this

#60 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11215 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 17:10

Okay. Have just skimmed, so if I post a lot of repeats, I apologize. :P

Though 100% agree with relabeling the Kiss choice. I've spoken about that one at length elsewhere. ;)

The scene with the Yaga dragged a bit for me. I feel like even having one earlier dialogue choice, even if it doesn't change that much might have made it a little more engaging. Especially if you're someone who gets to the only dialogue choice part and you only have one option. That didn't feel good. 

Similarly, the scene in Book Three with Ferdows could maybe use some tweaks...? ...if it's not too difficult. The first time through that scene I had a helluva time following along and really absorbing what was going on... ...and then it was kind of easy to start tuning out... I can see the argument that Kian's not exactly a programmer, but the machines have been such a big mystery that it felt like that scene should have popped a bit more. The second time I played it, I liked it more. It clicked better. It was easier to follow. But...I'm not sure that's a good thing, per se. I don't know if the solution is adding interactivity or something else... ...I'm sure other people might have some better suggestions than what I got right now. 

More journal for Zoe I'm on board with, too. Just to flesh that out a bit more... ...I get that with her journal being a fairly "tech" thing, it might feel out of place in Arcadia, but the way the Journal is implemented feels.... ...I think "sloppy" is way too harsh but like... ...inconsistent in a way that is detracting. 

Zoe has a journal. But only sometimes. Kian doesn't. So getting in the habit of checking it is really hard. And Zoe having one but Kian not feels... ...weird. I get that Kian may not be a big journal guy, but I think the argument for him writing down some of his thoughts after being sprung from prison and becoming a rebel and trying to work through all of that is absolutely logical. 

That could also smooth over a few transitions. Both with Zoe's journey and Kian's. With Kian in particular, I think it'd be an easy way to drop in a detail about Kian becoming more open with some of his personal life with the rebels. I think a few people commented on how it felt weird, especially if you opened up to Enu, that there was sort of an awkward scene between the two of them and then suddenly everyone knows.

And speaking of that... ...One personal gripe. 

nBoArj1.png

This fucker. This fucker right here. 

I haven't replayed to see if maybe similar notifications were implemented earlier in the game with some of the notification tweaks, but this really bugged me. 

Admittedly, part of it may be because of the forum and some of the discussions we've had about Likho and Kian and their relationship made me sort of hyper aware of it, but... ...I was really in the moment and this may as well have been one of those annoying browser pop-ups. "CONGRATULATIONS, FAN GIRL. YOU WON." 

I just feel like we don't get notifications like this for certain other things, so having it here feels really jarring. There wasn't a pop-up when Na'ane approaches Enu that was like "A Life Saved, Unlocked." This notification with Likho and Kian wouldn't feel out of place in a dating sim or visual novel or another game where getting intimate moments and figuring out how to unlock them is a big part of the game. Here it just doesn't work for me.

The way Likho and Kian's paths have crossed and continue to weave together and unfold is one of my favorite parts of the game. I hate feeling like it's being reduced to a cheap achievement. Just put the little balance symbol. I can put the pieces together myself. 

Related side note - Kian having a diary could also be a better way to handle the notification in their first conversation about past actions influencing the future.

EDIT: Forgot I wanted to second the bit about the blur effects and stuff. It seems to especially hit me in the HoAW for some reason, but I've had to start playing the game in a dark room and take occasional breaks, otherwise I start to get motion sick. Which isn't usually an issue for me, especially in third person games. 

• Vainamoinen, khh, Barentity and 10 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users