Photo

We want your honest feedback, help and suggestions!

• Please log in to reply
579 replies to this topic

#541 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6105 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 13:22

I think that it's implied that they're speaking Alltongue, though.

It can absolutely be interpreted this way, yes. But as we don't hear a difference between Alltongue and English, interpretations of that scene may differ.

Maybe April addressed him in Alltongue yet he answered, taken aback, in English – his native language, in all probability. 

• Mr_Russ likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#542 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 13:32

Maybe April addressed him in Alltongue yet he answered, taken aback, in English – his native language, in all probability. 

But when did April start to be able to tell the difference between English and Alltongue? :P

#543 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6105 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 13:42

But when did April start to be able to tell the difference between English and Alltongue? :P

It's all instinctive code-switching anyway. :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#544 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 16:17

I think that easily the most obvious contradiction between DF and DFC is Klacks' role in the story. His elevation to major villain in DFC creates inconsistencies. 

Not really, doesn't surprise me at all. Been suspicious of him ever since TLJ. April even made a comment about his so call reformation.

• Future Markus likes this

#545 kla622

kla622

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 23:10

I think the weird thing with Klacks is not his intentions, but his behavior. There were some instances in Dreamfall where he still seemed to have a grudge, but it came up rarely, and it appeared that he was fighting it. Even if he was evil all along, which is entirely possible, he at least sold me that he was truly reformed, or maybe I'm just naive. :D But in Chapters, it was obvious that he still hates April.

• Mr_Russ likes this

#546 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 18:49

Maybe put Interlude III before Book Four, then make Interlude IV just the House of All Worlds part and put it before Chapter 12, and then just make the rest of Interlude IV part of Chapter 13?

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#547 johnny_gamble

johnny_gamble

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 00:59

A point about the reference to the 'Dreamtime' for indigenous Australians in book 5. I'm not indigenous (no can't speak for them) but living in Australia, I feel that the term was used loosely and could offend. 'Songlines' have also been lifted from their culture which I'm a litle uneasy about...

My limited knowledge leads me to suggest that you should run the references to indigenous Australians by an elder of the people you identified (if you haven't already).

I'm just saying this from the perspective of being Australian... indegenous Australians are a minority group who were invaded and widely discriminated against from 1788 onwards. The 'white Australia policy' systematically tried to get rid of their cultural practices (in pretty recent years). I'm not the voice for their culture, but in Australia I don't think it's cool to interpret or reuse their culture. Also, my gut feeling is that the reference to the 'dreamtime' (which I more commonly hear being called the 'dreaming' these days) is probably incorrect (I don't think it's something that happens when you go to sleep/dream).

IMO it's a quick reference that could be run by an elder and kept if they approve, or deleted if they don't. If I were making a movie/game in Australia, I think that any reference to their culture (especially by white people) would be a really touchy area.
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

#548 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:53

Don Rosa used to reference it a lot and I never heard about any complaints.

#549 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:34

In the revamped Book 1, some parts of the conversation with Roman have been removed. I understand the reasons, but particularly the part about Zoë using a Dreamachine doesn't feel right.

Roman basically asks if she has used one, says that he's worried about the phenomenon and then switches the subject to Zoë's dad. Zoë doesn't get to say a word.
That doesn't seem right at all, given that he's her analyst.
  • Starseeker likes this

#550 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6105 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 13:08

In the revamped Book 1, some parts of the conversation with Roman have been removed.

Ouch. That doesn't sound right! :( 

#551 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 16 July 2016 - 17:32

In the revamped Book 1, some parts of the conversation with Roman have been removed. I understand the reasons, but particularly the part about Zoë using a Dreamachine doesn't feel right.

Roman basically asks if she has used one, says that he's worried about the phenomenon and then switches the subject to Zoë's dad. Zoë doesn't get to say a word.
That doesn't seem right at all, given that he's her analyst.

I had a mixed response to this and tended to like the newer cut better. I didn't feel Zoe's response in the original was quite right for what we all know had to happen in the story. The difference may also depend on the Choice to remember or not.. 

#552 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 18:03

Sorry if this has been mentioned before:

The choice about ignoring Reza in Book 1 happens at a strange part of the conversation. It should be immediately after he says "Come and taste the risotto", or at least when he's the last one to have spoken.
Instead he says that Zoë's ignoring him, when Zoë was the last one who spoke. It looks more like he's ignoring her, not the other way around.

#553 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 18:05

I had a mixed response to this and tended to like the newer cut better. I didn't feel Zoe's response in the original was quite right for what we all know had to happen in the story. The difference may also depend on the Choice to remember or not..

I don't remember what she said originally... But I meant it doesn't make sense as a psychotherapist's action. He's there to listen to Zoë, not to answer his own question and then change the subject.

#554 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 16 July 2016 - 18:18

I don't remember what she said originally... But I meant it doesn't make sense as a psychotherapist's action. He's there to listen to Zoë, not to answer his own question and then change the subject.

I personally do not like it when therapists just sit there and listen - all they are doing is evaluating and taking notes. I like it when they express opinions, argue, offer there own perceptions and make suggestions. When their suggestions seem right but it is not something you can do, then there is something real to talk about. Perhaps new doors open.

#555 Crowmance

Crowmance

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:32

After watching several let's-plays of this game, I've noticed that there's a lot of dialogue that people miss seemingly because they don't know it's there. For example when you first meet Reza after bringing him his lunch there's a whole dialogue tree between him and Zoe that expands on their relationship, but everyone I've seen play it just moves on without going back to talk to him. There are similar moments with other characters like Baruti and The Mole. Also, a lot of people don't seem to know that when examining objects in the world and in your inventory you can click on the 'eye' more than once to get extra lines from Zoe/Kian.

None of these conversations or lines are essential to the overall plot, but I feel that they add a little more depth to the characters and the world. The writing in this game is so wonderful and missing any of it is like skipping pages of a great book. Do you think you could add some sort of in-game indicator to make sure people don't miss out?

• bongboy and the red of the kin like this

#556 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:03

None of these conversations or lines are essential to the overall plot, but I feel that they add a little more depth to the characters and the world. The writing in this game is so wonderful and missing any of it is like skipping pages of a great book. Do you think you could add some sort of in-game indicator to make sure people don't miss out?

I'm not a developer but I'm giving you my opinion on this because I feel strongly about it. 
I wouldn't want to be hand-held throughout any game. An I love videogames where you're on your own and you must discover bits and pieces by yourself. that's the true beauty of gaming and what sets them apart from all other media: interactivity.
That's also why I played Mass Effect some 6-10 times now, to do those small missions I didn't to the first time and to see those small dialogues I missed (that was just an example).
To have an indicator telling me exactly how much content I'm skipping would break the immersion and, once I've seen 100%, I'd feel like I'm done and there's nothing more to see.
I guess this also depends on what type of gamer you are.

Also....there are many "let's-players" out there. Some (many) of them don't care for details, but some do and explore every single bit in all games. My favorite one is Mylandah.

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#557 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 13:26

After watching several let's-plays of this game, I've noticed that there's a lot of dialogue that people miss seemingly because they don't know it's there. For example when you first meet Reza after bringing him his lunch there's a whole dialogue tree between him and Zoe that expands on their relationship, but everyone I've seen play it just moves on without going back to talk to him. There are similar moments with other characters like Baruti and The Mole. Also, a lot of people don't seem to know that when examining objects in the world and in your inventory you can click on the 'eye' more than once to get extra lines from Zoe/Kian.

Those who are really interested in additional dialogues like me - they click on everything until they make sure that there's nothing new happening, then they move on. So indications are not necessary in my opinion.

#558 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:47

I hope the Final Cut adds in Zoe's audio files when reading the names on Seshadri Tower.

• bongboy likes this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#559 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:04

I hope the Final Cut adds in Zoe's audio files when reading the names on Seshadri Tower.

I second the thought. I've been waiting for that for nearly two years now.

• MisterMetropolis likes this

#560 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6105 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 13:03

They may think it's just too daring having their names spoken out loud within the TLJ universe.

Fear of breaking the fourth wall too much, maybe, or Law of Jante, if you wish, though I doubt many international or US narrative games actually feature the dev team's names as voiced text.

Personally, I thought it was a bug when I first got to read that stuff. That's an impression that could be avoided if RTG put in the voices regardless of leftover concerns... :)

JUST DON'T CUT MORE STUFF DUDES AND GALS.

• NeilClaimer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users