Photo

We want your honest feedback, help and suggestions!

• Please log in to reply
583 replies to this topic

#521 CrimsynSeraph

CrimsynSeraph

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 19:11

IMHO is implied, obviously.

1. Original Adrift is better. If anything Zoe should have more opportunities to play with her powers, not less.

I whole-heartedly agree! I like the walking between dreams thing in the new Adrift, I think it worked, but I feel like we lost one of my favourite parts of the game. Bad-ass Zoe using her Dreamtime powers was AMAZING. I was sad when the only other time that happened was at the end and it was almost scripted. I would love to see the original two dreams added back in, maybe as waypoints on the path, like the last one is now. And maybe add one or two more dreams as well. Annnnd maybe a little open world exploration of Dreamtime, before you get on the path... Again, I love what you did with the walking down the path and dismissing dreams and the people chasing you. I don't want to see that go away, but I really want to have MORE opportunities to use Zoe's powers, more even than there was in the original Adrift, and certainly not less. Also, more use of her powers at the end of the game too, but I don't want to seem greedy.

And yeah, the Kian saying he's gay thing irked me. Either establish it as a common Arcadian word earlier on, or just have him repeat that he likes men, not women. Or even use the word homosexual as it is not colloquial. Gay is too rooted in English and Stark's linguistic and cultural development.

And the string of cut scenes at the end of Book 5, each separated by a loading screen felt very choppy. removed some of the emotion by booting you out of the moment every 30 seconds.

And not to beat a dead horse... But I REALLY want to play the Balance board game.

• Atrus and Ninja Dodo like this
He who runs in front of a car gets tired.
He who runs behind a car gets exhausted.

Proud Scion of Dynamic Chaos.

#522 Corrado5834

Corrado5834

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationRome - Italy

Posted 03 July 2016 - 19:19

And not to beat a dead horse... But I REALLY want to play the Balance board game.

LOL

Opened this post thinking "Let me see if he's really going to say it!"

:) :P :D :lol:

• the red of the kin likes this

#523 CrimsynSeraph

CrimsynSeraph

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 19:28

LOL

Opened this post thinking "Let me see if he's really going to say it!"

:) :P :D :lol:

I almost didn't, but I couldn't resist. ; P

#524 Starseeker

Starseeker

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 03 July 2016 - 19:50

I would love to see the original two dreams added back in, maybe as waypoints on the path, like the last one is now.

I agree, not only because of Zoe's powers, but also because interacting with victims made me feel involved.

What's the Balance board game? Haven't heard of it. Sounds interesting!

#525 CrimsynSeraph

CrimsynSeraph

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 19:59

I agree, not only because of Zoe's powers, but also because interacting with victims made me feel involved.

What's the Balance board game? Haven't heard of it. Sounds interesting!

You see a few people playing it in Book 1 I think it was? Kian comments that he might have to learn to play it someday.

There was some attempt by the community to make a rule set for it, and Ragnar said that if we came up with something they might include it. Corrado and I came up with three somethings, but the community seemed to lose interest and the thread petered out.

http://redthreadgame...arious-designs/

• Miriamele, jestas and Starseeker like this

#526 Starseeker

Starseeker

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 04 July 2016 - 21:25

I think I either missed it or forgot about it.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out :)

#527 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 05 July 2016 - 18:44

Please eliminate the big, clanking, overbearing Balance Symbol indicating a choice has been made. Where a choice actually changes the game play, replace the big symbol with a small one and no clanking noise. There are only a few choices that actually effect game play. All the other choices only have dialogue changes  associated with them and should be ignored. In that regard they are no different than in DF when Zoe fights or outwits the Jiva receptionist, or, the choice for Zoe to fight or sneak by the orks in the Underground City. If Zoe sneaking past Vinny, outwitting him or fighting him, there are game play changes associated with each choice, but no overbearing Choice Symbol was necessary. In Chapters a simple notification would be sufficient.

• thelj, Mr_Russ and Miriamele like this

#528 Paladina

Paladina

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:03

All right, just finishing up a replay (how nice to be able to play all the chapters straight through!)  Overall I love the game and am quite satisfied, but here are my thoughts for possible improvement:

Firstly (and the main reason I came here to comment, really), I too prefer the original Storytime segment.  I don't mind some streamlining (eliminating the key, for example), but losing the first two dreams throws off the pacing and makes the entire chapter feel too short.  And the player barely gets any introduction to Zoe's powers (I don't think the mind power is even used at all before getting Zoe to "wake up.")  Plus I liked the other dreams.  Three's a good number.

Maybe it's the old school gamer in me, but the lack of ability to save whenever just feels weird.  Even if it's just one constantly overwritten save, could we please have the ability to choose when?  It's frustrating not to be able to save when leaving the game and having to come back in at the last save point and redo things.

Running around Propast and Marcuria was honestly one of my favorite things about the game, although an toggle button for said running would be most helpful so I don't have to keep holding down a button to do so.  And barricade-updated maps and the occasional ability to choose to skip to locations might be useful, but I don't want to lose that wonderful feeling of place I get from having the characters actually having to run through the streets.  I love overhearing people talking about current events and I wish there could be more of those conversations, if possible (I know not many people are out and about on Marcurian nights, but still.)  I even wish Zoe had more time wandering around Marcuria; it feels like Crow's rushing her through.  Not that I'd want to lose any of that conversation, but the maps are still there if the player hasn't learned there way around Marcuria yet.  Maybe just have him comment from wherever she is at the moment instead of telling her to follow?

Some cutscenes can get a bit tiresome upon replaying, but that can be fixed by allowing more skipping of dialogue.  Not skipping the entire cutscene (because then I'm afraid I've missed something) but just moving on to the next line.  I usually have subtitles on and it's frustrating to suddenly have to wait when I've already read what's happening.

This is probably due to my spectacular lack of gaydar, but I only learned Kian was gay from the internet, or else I probably wouldn't have known until his conversation with Crow in Book 5.  I definitely didn't know the first Anna kiss decision, when I think the player should to fairly make that one.  I know it depends upon previous decisions, but Kian can be pretty taciturn, so maybe just a line in his internal thoughts during that decision about how he's not interested in women in front of the "I shouldn't."?

A few puzzles that I found particularly difficult:

All of the stuff with Kian and the tubes.  It's not really clear there are two types of pipe to pick up.  (And a reminder where the pipes are if players seem stuck might be helpful.)

Returning the tools is difficult because it's vague when exactly they're to be returned.  Does it need to be done before Kian enters the house?  When exactly is he done with them?  Does he need to shut the panels first?  Maybe this could be clarified in the goals?

Also, my first time through I wasn't clear Kian was supposed to approach Ferdows.  Because why would you sneak into a place and then walk straight up to a person?

While I love listening to the memories to unlock the wards (I love pretty much everything with the interludes and Saga) it's not clear at all which memories to pick.  And going by random combinations is no fun at all.  Maybe there can be clearer clues what memories are fake?

For Zoe in the fake hospital room, the problem I had was that I had no idea that I had to keep repeatedly looking at the fake things.  I think it would be helpful if things stopped being interactive before their descriptions start repeating.

• Ninja Dodo likes this

#529 yhal

yhal

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:44

While I love listening to the memories to unlock the wards (I love pretty much everything with the interludes and Saga) it's not clear at all which memories to pick.  And going by random combinations is no fun at all.  Maybe there can be clearer clues what memories are fake?

I think you are supposed to pick memories with common theme. IIRC the first ward was protected by memories about the house, and the second one was about Etta. I could not find a common thread in the last ward. Seemed to be about Saga, but 4 out of 5 had Saga in them. Shifting? Or maybe relationship between Saga and Magnus?

#530 Paladina

Paladina

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 19:51

I think you are supposed to pick memories with common theme. IIRC the first ward was protected by memories about the house, and the second one was about Etta. I could not find a common thread in the last ward. Seemed to be about Saga, but 4 out of 5 had Saga in them. Shifting? Or maybe relationship between Saga and Magnus?

Maybe after several wrong selections Saga could offer a clue like "Maybe it has something to do with the house" or Mom or whatever the last one is.  (It never occurred to me to look for common themes!)

#531 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 10 July 2016 - 13:08

Saga does say what the theme is if you click at the right spot.

#532 linkgoron

linkgoron

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:15

TLJ and DFC spoilers:

Isn't the part with Ferdows and Zoe, with Ferdows not understanding Zoe at the end of Book 5 a contradiction to TLJ?

In TLJ we meet up with Adrian and speak Alltongue with him, even though we're in Stark. I would assume that Zoe would be able to do the same thing.

https://youtu.be/BlcTIV7tyiU?t=12m37s

https://youtu.be/dImEdL_YFRQ?t=20m43s

https://youtu.be/8sBLbtkjiPo?t=19m20s

• Indrid Cold likes this

#533 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:20

Adrian has not only watched over and probably studied both worlds and all cultures in them for ten thousand years ... he's also from Stark originally. :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#534 linkgoron

linkgoron

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 14:43

Adrian has not only watched over and probably studied both worlds and all cultures in them for ten thousand years ... he's also from Stark originally. :)

I think that it's implied that they're speaking Alltongue, though.

#535 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 16:07

IIRC, Ragnar said at one point that April's learning of Alltongue is different than Zoe's deal. Because of Zoe's dreamer powers. So I assumed it had to do with that.

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#536 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 18:28

IIRC, Ragnar said at one point that April's learning of Alltongue is different than Zoe's deal. Because of Zoe's dreamer powers. So I assumed it had to do with that.

I think the point is simply that Alltongue was spoken in Stark, which should not be possible.

#537 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 22:06

TLJ and DFC spoilers:

Isn't the part with Ferdows and Zoe, with Ferdows not understanding Zoe at the end of Book 5 a contradiction to TLJ?

Better not pay much heed to the contradictions between the games, you'll give yourself a headache. The continuity between TLJ, DF and DFC is not actually solid.

Spoiler

#538 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 10 July 2016 - 22:44

Better not pay much heed to the contradictions between the games, you'll give yourself a headache. The continuity between TLJ, DF and DFC is not actually solid.

Spoiler

ah a new one! Thanks for pointing it out.
I agree: there's no sense in focusing on details like the alltongue and other small inconsistencies. What matters is the main story, which is solid :)

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#539 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 23:33

Yeah, I can disregard small inconsistencies like that. The bigger ones are the problem, especially between DF and DFC, as they show there wasn't a well-laid plan for the story...

#540 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 11 July 2016 - 13:10

I think that easily the most obvious contradiction between DF and DFC is Klacks' role in the story. His elevation to major villain in DFC creates inconsistencies. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users