• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Limerick

Limerick

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 23:14

Any hints to running Dreamfall on new computers? I have it both in Steam and GOG, but both crash in the intro movie shortly after "Tainted" disappears.  If I just skip the intro movie, I am able to load into the game, but selecting an item crashes me.

TLJ2 Crashed - Dreamfall crashed. Report saved to... send to Funcom.

I have tried all sorts of tricks from the Steam/GOG forums from running in window mode to adding lines to preferences to running in compatibility mode to crazily running a utility to max out cores 2-4 on my processor and pushing core 1 to seem busy, played with all graphics settings, etc, etc

http://www.gog.com/f...after_some_fmvs

Windows 10, GTX 570, Quad Core i7 3820 @ 3.6Ghz, 12GB ram

Just hoping someone here has solved this or something similar.  No iOS version of Dreamfall, unfortunately :(

#2 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2015 - 00:48

Could you install Windows XP in a virtual machine, if you happen to have an old install disk handy?  VirtualBox has 3D acceleration for VMs these days I think and is free.

#3 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 00:56

I just installed TLJ on my Win10 (i7, 16GB, GTX 750 TI SC, dual UltraSharp 30") desktop and it's playing fine. I do get the Exit issue: when I click End Journey I get a blank white rectangle presented. I just hit the Y key and the game exits just fine.

The version I'm using is 2.0.0.12 from GOG.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#4 Limerick

Limerick

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:00

Yeah, I get that running TLJ too, though here I am specifically talking TLJ2 (Dreamfall) not the original.

After a fair bit of work, I have Dreamfall running in Virtualbox with DirectX 9.0C and Direct 3D Acceleration.

That said, the startup videos (ATI, Funcom, etc) are all black as well as the static video on screen when you start in Zoe's room (too tired for accents right now :P).  The primary cinematics play, still, would like to fix this.

#5 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2015 - 16:18

That's probably a missing codec of some kind, do you have a version of Windows Media Player installed in your VM?  There may be some option to automatically download missing codecs.

#6 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 17:48

Yeah, I get that running TLJ too, though here I am specifically talking TLJ2 (Dreamfall) not the original.

I took TLJ2 to mean TLJ version 2; the one currently on GOG. Most people on these forums refer to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey as Dreamfall, so I didn't get the reference.

I haven't tried Dreamfall/TLJ2 yet.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#7 Limerick

Limerick

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 22:36

Thanks for the advice, just installed CCCP (one of the best overall codec packs I know and the one I have installed here where those videos work but crashes during the intro movie) and still no luck. 

My understanding is that DF:TLJ uses the Bink video codec by RadGameTools - http://www.radgameto...m/binkgames.htm - (and the other videos work), does anyone know if the intro vids (pre-game, ATI, etc) and the Static vids are played differently than the rest of the game vids? I admit, I am stuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users