• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Solpaa24

Solpaa24

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 16:33

Is it possible to install The Longest Journey on Windows 10? And does the gameplay work? I know there are some patches that makes it compatible with Windows 7, but is anything working on Windows 10? I tried to install the old multi disk version, and it opens the first menu, but when I click install it does not work. I also tried to open the set up file directly from the folder, but it did not work either. Has anybody installed it successfully? Please help if you have any suggestions :)  

#2 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 17:43

I have not tried but, if I did, I would use the GOG version. Their speciality is getting old games to work on modern operating systems. They're not successful in every case, but they do get an awful lot of them to work.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#3 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 13 December 2015 - 20:16

Is it possible to install The Longest Journey on Windows 10? And does the gameplay work? I know there are some patches that makes it compatible with Windows 7, but is anything working on Windows 10? I tried to install the old multi disk version, and it opens the first menu, but when I click install it does not work. I also tried to open the set up file directly from the folder, but it did not work either. Has anybody installed it successfully? Please help if you have any suggestions :)

TLJ is not compatible with Windows 10. The issue is the "Exit Screen". The program will play but can not be gracefully saved and exited. The DVD version of TLJ which was released with the Anniversay Edition of Dreamfall, is a later version than what GOG uses. The GOG version includes all the patches through 61 and plays the same as the DVD version, but it has the same issues in Windows 10.

Edit: The DVD version (Build) came with the Special Game Of The Year Edition of Dreamfall - not an anniversary edition.

#4 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 20:54

I'm not sure it's quite clear: can any of the versions of TLJ be played on Win10?

#5 The Rainbow Kin

The Rainbow Kin

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 13 December 2015 - 21:20

I have just bought TLJ directly from Funcom and am running it on a win10 - computer. It works reasonably well, but as stated above, the exit - dialog goes black so you have to press shortcut key to quit (in my case, J for "ja", meaning "yes")

Check here:

http://redthreadgame...dited-improved/

for more info and my font-problem - fix

Beware though, the way to download from funcom once bought is really not straight forward at all and I had to contact customer support to get directions :)

#6 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 21:31

I have just bought TLJ directly from Funcom and am running it on a win10 - computer. It works reasonably well, but as stated above, the exit - dialog goes black so you have to press shortcut key to quit (in my case, J for "ja", meaning "yes")

Are you saying that you can successfully exit TLJ, with the game saved properly, by hitting the correct key?

#7 LeChuck

LeChuck

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 13 December 2015 - 22:27

Simply press "y" for yes and "n" for no.

It works like a charm. :)

• Riaise likes this
Ragnar Tornquist (Twitter): "Kiss or no kiss, he's always been (and will always be) gay!"

#8 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 22:50

Good to know. Thanks.

#9 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 23:58

Hmm... Another reason to NOT update to Windows 10!  They are piling up rather fast for me.

#10 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 00:57

I posted this in another thread:

I just installed TLJ on my Win10 (i7, 16GB, GTX 750 TI SC, dual UltraSharp 30") desktop and it's playing fine. I do get the Exit issue: when I click End Journey I get a blank white rectangle presented. I just hit the Y key and the game exits just fine. I can save games just fine too.

The version I'm using is 2.0.0.12 from GOG.

#11 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 December 2015 - 15:10

TLJ is not compatible with Windows 10. The issue is the "Exit Screen". 

Hmm... Another reason to NOT update to Windows 10!  They are piling up rather fast for me.

It's not just a WIndows 10 issue, I had this "exit screen" problem before I upgraded to Windows 10. Definitely during Windows 8.1, and probably also Windows 8 while using the GOG version. It's easy enough to work around the problem by using the "y" and "n" keys, as LeChuck mentioned above.

#12 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 December 2015 - 19:11

Hey guys. :)

I'm just popping my head in to say I'm moving this to the Community Help section as the earlier games in the series are not developed/published by our company and therefore we cannot provide any support for them.

Best of luck in your pre-Chapters adventures!

• khh and Riaise like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#13 Solpaa24

Solpaa24

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 21:03

Many thanks! Your suggestions seem to work

#14 bird

bird

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:58

Funny that it works on linux MINT with playonlinux, but not windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users