#1 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:05

I do not have a gaming computer, it was intended for graphics and video. it has an Intel Core i7-3610@2.50Gh, 8 GB Ram and a Nvidia GT-620m GPU.

With Unity 4.6, Propast could be played with 1920x1080 resolution and a High Quality setting. With Unity 5 the Quality setting has to be reduced to Medium or Low and the resolution set lower than 1080P. In addition, Propast looks like night with all detail lost in darkness. You can compare the screen shots.

The attachments are 1366x768 @ Medium Quality setting.

Attached Files

#2 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:16

Do you have set for Shadow Distance 0m? On my system dark Propast is releated to Shadow Distance off issue. For some reason it affected lighting only in Propast 

• LuckyStarr likes this

#3 Puffy

Puffy

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:48

I have problems too - in the clound village all that's far away was covered in green, and half of the character faces had something like green light on them almost all of the time.

• Starseeker likes this

#4 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:13

Have you tried increasing the gamma?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#5 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:37

Do you have set for Shadow Distance 0m? On my system dark Propast is releated to Shadow Distance off issue. For some reason it affected lighting only in Propast 

I keep it a 3m.  Another Member, I wish I recalled who, found that 3m was optimal between increasing the speed an properly rendering highlights on Zoe's face. I found it work for me too. Only in Roman's office is a higher shadow called for. Both attachments were taken using the same shadow depth.

I have problems too - in the clound village all that's far away was covered in green, and half of the character faces had something like green light on them almost all of the time.

The village is the most demanding location for my computer. I haven't experience the green light problem, but I need to shrink my display.

Have you tried increasing the gamma?

No, I don't think it is a low gamma problem - Unity 5 seems to overdrive color saturation as it is . It is more a contrast problem and I don't like to tweak the my computer graphic settings just for one chapter in one game.

#6 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:52

No, I don't think it is a low gamma problem - Unity 5 seems to overdrive color saturation as it is . It is more a contrast problem and I don't like to tweak the my computer graphic settings just for one chapter in one game.

I'm not sure what saturation has to do with it: gamma is about luminance, about the way our eyes perceive brightness vs digital cameras and the like.

I didn't mean to imply that you should change the gamma of your monitor; I meant to change the gamma in DFC's Settings panel. That way, it only applies to DFC. :)

#7 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 20:07

I'm not sure what saturation has to do with it: gamma is about luminance, about the way our eyes perceive brightness vs digital cameras and the like.

I didn't mean to imply that you should change the gamma of your monitor; I meant to change the gamma in DFC's Settings panel. That way, it only applies to DFC. :)

The gamma adjustment for the game may behave different than the monitor adjustment - I will try it.

#8 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 20:43

The gamma adjustment for the game may behave different than the monitor adjustment - I will try it.

I tried the game's Gamma settings. It helped a little, but when it is set high enough to make a difference it also burns-out all the highlights. Even at the 100% setting, the barge in the river never appeared red in color. The whole lighting scheme for Propast in Chapter 2 is out of balance in Unity 5. It needs to be redone. Regarding the Gamma settings, I would recommend that the gamma be set for the HOAW menu screen and then left alone.  The setting should be consistent though all the chapters. I think it is a "porting" issue

#9 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 21:54

Yeah, sometimes that happens (blown out highlights). I wonder if there is a way for you to tune your video drivers to compress the dynamic range. nVidia makes it possible to fine-tune video settings on a per-game basis, so the altered settings only affect that game.

#10 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:05

Yeah, sometimes that happens (blown out highlights). I wonder if there is a way for you to tune your video drivers to compress the dynamic range. nVidia makes it possible to fine-tune video settings on a per-game basis, so the altered settings only affect that game.

I can set some aspects like ant-aliasing separately, but the options are limited. Also, only the river front is effected and mainly when Zoe is working with Kid Bot. The other scenes and chapters are OK - heavy on the contrast but OK.

For the most part Book 1 plays smoothly and shows that attention has been given to it. The "Light" Bots (little rectangular bots with lights on the bottom} materialize from nowhere and then disappear. It makes them appear as light aberrations. They should also be excluded from areas like inside Queenie's boat.

#11 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:13

That's too bad. It may be a case where you just have to accept it and move on, unfortunately.

#12 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:15

It is fixed in Unity 5.3 update. Propast isn't black hole anymore! RTG rocks :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users