45 replies to this topic

#41 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 September 2014 - 22:20

I'm sure somebody will make a Zoe mod, if Red Thread Games don't get her right before the release date.

With eight years since Dreamfall came out, a new engine, new tools, a new story, new themes, a more mature core team and a bunch of new and supremely talented artists, we feel the Zoë we have now is definitely "right".

The great thing about video game characters is that they can grow and evolve, visually, without needing actual plastic surgery. We feel our Zoë is a more accurate representation of how Zoë should look — particularly in light of where she is in her life. It's how we envisioned her, almost a decade ago, but were unable to create, due to the limitations of the time.

If you stuck the old Dreamfall Zoë into Chapters, people would complain. She wouldn't look good enough. But it's hard to compete with the nostalgia and the memories. It's hard to compete with a character that means so much to so many people. When you look at Dreamfall today — the original — you're not seeing it with fresh eyes; you're reliving the memory of that game as you experienced it the first time you played it. The same with Zoë: it's impossible to be objective.

She's changed, yes. She's grown. She's evolved. We have evolved, as storytellers, as technicians, as artists. And we truly feel that THIS Zoë is the right Zoë — for us, for the game, the story, our themes…and for you. We believe you'll feel that connection as soon as you connect with Zoë, through a mouse and keyboard, a gamepad, through the story.

• wandrew, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 10 others like this

#42 Bob

Bob

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 00:15

Great response.

If I like the game half as much as I liked Dreamfall and the Longest Journey it will be amazing.
As you say it probably is all about nostalgia and things move on. I can continue to replay Dreamfall anytime I want.
The previous games were extremely memorable. I haven't played the new game, of course, but it's likely that it will take its place as the next part of the journey for me too and be just as good even though it's different.

I liked the Longest Journey and there was no Zoe at all.

#43 Devil Ray

Devil Ray

Rubber Ducky

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 14:08

Well... the new Zoe (as in the twitter pics) is more than acceptable. I liked the blend of asian and european in the original Zoe (and while a bit unrealistic she was very recognizable and unique) and the latest incarnation is pretty much spot on. :o

Maybe this will be a good game after all....!?

• Christoffer Sunrider Grav likes this

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Menken

#44 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 September 2014 - 14:45

I like her hairstyle from Book 1 Trailer. It was great. The new one is weird :P

#45 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 15:28

Well... the new Zoe is more than acceptable.

Maybe this will be a good game after all....!?

The two thoughts are unrelated. You might still be on to something. ;)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#46 Devil Ray

Devil Ray

Rubber Ducky

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 15:54

The two thoughts are unrelated. You might still be on to something. ;)

Not for me!  :P I can bear a pretty lousy movie and book and game if i like the main protagonist. If i don't like the protagonist then even a good story is spoiled on me.

I could have listen for hour and hour at the Dreamfall Zoe... So soothing and relaxing. So beautiful.

As my favourite author once wrote:

"It is the close of a busy and vexatious day -- say half past five or six o'clock of a winter afternoon. I have had a cocktail or two, and am stretched out on a divan in front of a fire, smoking. At the edge of the divan, close enough for me to reach her with my hands, sits a woman not too young, but still good-looking and well dressed -- above all, a woman with a soft, low-pitched, agreeable voice. As I snooze she talks - of anything, everything, all the things that women talk of: books, music, the play, men, other women. No politics. No business. No religion. No metaphysics. Nothing challenging and vexatious - but remember, she is intelligent; what she says is clearly expressed... Gradually I fall asleep -- but only for an instant... then to sleep again -- slowly and charmingly down that slippery hill of dreams. And then awake again, and then asleep again, and so on. I ask you seriously: could anything be more unutterably beautiful"

In Defence of Women - HL Menken

• Veen Friend likes this

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Menken

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zoe castillo, zoe, castillo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users