• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 20:04

Of course your concerns are fair. There was no guarantee that the same actress would voice the part. I understand your legitimate concerns and hope you enjoy the game.  There are a few changes they have made and they are open for discussion. I think they do appreciate your concerns, critique. There was a video released not that long where they revised Zoe based on the fan's concerns.  :)  I'm glad that you acknowledge though how they've  recasted nearly everyone for their original roles.  I still don't think it was intentional to recast her. We've been down that road already, so I'll leave well enough alone.

You're concerns are legitimate and I'm sure they are being read.

To me what makes the character real is because you want to believe in her, as video games that always used computer graphics it's the same thing almost as a cartoon or animation. I hope that the changes don't take away from the character and her story for you. The team has made a few difficult changes, decisions and stuck by them. I have faith that they feel they are bringing us the most authentic game possible. To be honest I think Zoe from the original game would look out of place in this updated game , the world the characters are all more realistic than previously.  Some of the choices they made are on their own pay, their own creative license, they had to use their own artistic vision and create their own world, while trying not to upset everyone haha. Which they haven't but understandably not everyone likes the change in style and character design they've come up with. Your concerns and criticisms are valid.

I can only imagine again the struggle it is to update her without angering some one.  I understand your feelings.
So I'll leave well enough alone.  Best of wishes, hope you enjoy the end result, of which we haven't seen much of yet. 

Maybe they are still tweaking her look, I don't know.. HAHA I hope you enjoy the game.

#22 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:43

I wasn't too keen on the concept picture of her with the hoop earrings at first..but it has really grown on me. They kept her basic look and just expanded on it..she still looks like Zoe to me at least. 

jHevh80.jpg

#23 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:34

She doesnt look(not her clothing I have issue with) or sound anything like Zoe from the first game, so what was the point in persisting with Zoe.
Just leave her dead, and have April save the day in part 2.

The point in persisting with Zoë is that she constituted the cliffhanger of Dreamfall. It's Zoë's cycle... oh wait, that came out wrong. It's her story, so naturally her story needs to be finished. As much as it hurts us all, it can't be April who saves the day this time. No, the story of chapters has to bring closure to Dreamfall.

For the record, I dont like her new voice actor at all. They dont even sound similar. You cant get away with completely replacing the main character in a 2 part game.

Oh, I'm perfectly fine with the fact that what we have yet heard of Zoë doesn't even remotely sound like Ellie. Because the less similar these two sound, the more certain it is that what we've heard is just placeholder dialog.

I honestly doubt Zoe's voice change was for artistic reasons. They do have most the original cast.

There hasn't yet been any voice actor announcement besides Sarah Hamilton's appearance. And we're not even sure whom Sarah will voice (!!). It'd be far better to wait for official announcements before making a fuzz... and according to RTG, we're rather close to an announcement.

As for her voice, I liked the new actress' voice and could easily adjust to it if Zoë looks like Zoë. Just like I could adjust more easily to the new Zoë if Ellie Conrad Leigh was her voice.

I agree with that statement. The characters in Dreamfall featured a slight cartoonish exaggeration of facial features. Chapters has a more realistic approach: Zoë's formerly freakishly big cow eyes wouldn't cut it any more. But that DOES create a visual dissimilarity which people may find slightly odd. Giving the character back her old voice would wash that oddity away.

• wandrew and Mixthos like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#24 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 711 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:36

Wait a minute: Sarah is doing an English accent for Zoe!1!

• Mixthos likes this

#25 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 13:25

Well there is a lot of speculation. I wouldn't call placeholder artistic reasons. We'll have to wait and see. 

With all the criticism I admit I assumed we already knew Zoe wasn't acted by the original actress. Later

#26 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 13:26

Love the new look and I don't mind the new voice. What would be difficult is to accept a new voice for April.

• yodagreen3 likes this

#27 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 25 May 2014 - 13:47

What would be difficult is to accept a new voice for April.

That would be me out if that ever happens.

Hopefully we are all in Sarah's good books after the recent support.
  • khh likes this

#28 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 14:41

Well , I would be upset too if April was voiced by another actress. Though, you have to consider her health. She might not be able to voice The Longest Journey Home if it is made.  I hope that she can. Though boycotting an adventure because she's too sick to do it herself , I don't think I could do that.

• Dmm and Mixthos like this

#29 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 25 May 2014 - 15:20

Until now, I have never had trouble with how the characters evolved graphically. Since you mention Monkey Island, Guybrush has always looked like Guybrush in every game to me (I've played them all). I was never concerned with his appearance, I always felt it was him. Just like April from Dreamfall felt to me like April, no matter how different from TLJ she might look. But so far, the new Zoë does not feel like Zoë to me... She really is someone different, a stranger. I want her to evolve graphically for sure, as long as she remains herself. Until now, I have not been able to make any connection between Zoë from DF and Zoë from Chapters.

Funny, that's exactly what I'm feeling with the new Kian. If it wasn't for the name, I would have never thought he and the guy from Dreamfall are the same person. Physically different, different voices, and a totally different vibe. Or is it just me??

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#30 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:15

Is there a way to ignore threads? Because this one is really pointless, people...

#31 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 711 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:13

"Unfollow this topic" button at the top of the page. :)

#32 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:28

But I'm not following it... I would prefer to not see it, completely. Not in the listing, not in the new items list. To me, it's a complete waste of time, and as long as people keep posting here, there should be a way of ignoring the inaneness. :P  :uncrow:

• wandrew likes this

#33 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 711 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:32

Oh no, we're part of the problem!

• Tina likes this

#34 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:34

I'm probably not part of the solution, to be honest.

• wandrew likes this

#35 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 711 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:37

Stop it! Back on topic:

So... erm... Zoe's look, amirite?

#36 Earendiel

Earendiel

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 May 2014 - 13:52

Completely agreed - "new Zoe" is an absolutely different person...

But i must admit i like a new "hipster Zoe" in Storytime (as shown in this video)  :wub:

I really enjoyed this excerpt.  Thanks Sergey. I think I can get used to the new Zoe.  She looks closer to the old Zoe than she did when she was first revealed.

• yodagreen3 likes this

#37 Sergey Bessarab

Sergey Bessarab

Rubber Ducky

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKiev, Ukraine

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:07

I really enjoyed this excerpt.  Thanks Sergey. I think I can get used to the new Zoe.  She looks closer to the old Zoe than she did when she was first revealed.

I believe, we should all thank the RTG developers and artists for what they listened to their fans (us) after showing of the first Zoe's concept arts and changed her original look.

Now it is so easy to fall in love in such girl, as Storytime Zoe  :rolleyes:

• yodagreen3 likes this

#38 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 00:46

She looks like a more human/realistic version of the rather cartoony DF Zoe to me.

• Loveliest likes this

#39 Bob

Bob

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 21:49

I hope they do use the previous voice actor for Zoe and make her look more like she did in Dreamfall.

I don't see the need for the changes. Since when has any computer game character looked "realistic"?

Bring back the big brown eyes and the rest of the real Zoe; I hardly recognise her in the new game.

I'm sure somebody will make a Zoe mod, if Red Thread Games don't get her right before the release date.

#40 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 22:12

I hope they do use the previous voice actor for Zoe and make her look more like she did in Dreamfall.

I don't see the need for the changes. Since when has any computer game character looked "realistic"?

Bring back the big brown eyes and the rest of the real Zoe; I hardly recognise her in the new game.

I'm sure somebody will make a Zoe mod, if Red Thread Games don't get her right before the release date.

The previous voice actor for Zoe is unavailable. As far as her looks are concerned many feel the way you do, but many don't. I recognized the new Zoe immediately and I am one of those who actually likes the new look more than the old.

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, Christoffer Sunrider Grav and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zoe castillo, zoe, castillo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users