• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 superfly000

superfly000

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 00:30

I'm not really feeling Zoe's new look.  What initially drew me to her character was her long dark hair coupled with bangs and her slender physique and facial appearance. 

Would be nice to have the option to change Zoe's style or outfit.

Hope to dream!

P

#2 Sergey Bessarab

Sergey Bessarab

Rubber Ducky

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKiev, Ukraine

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:33

Completely agreed - "new Zoe" is an absolutely different person...

But i must admit i like a new "hipster Zoe" in Storytime (as shown in this video)  :wub:

• Pylons of Light and Earendiel like this

#3 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:02

I don't mind her new look. Though, honestly, I don't think she looks that different. Just...updated to a newer system with better graphics...and what I've seen of her outfits don't seem particularly out of character.

As far as her style, I haven't really been considering it too terribly much as it has been confirmed that there will be optional outfits / places where you can change her look up a bit. 

• khh and chiccats like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#4 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:36

Yeah, and we need some more equip places and a better wardrobe selection and a choice of tattoos and...

Come on guys, it's not an RPG! Get over it. The character is not YOU here.

• khh likes this

#5 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:01

Don't like it either. In storytime she looks more like the old Zoe which I like.

In Europolis she looks different. Hope there is an option for us to get her old looks back.

• Shifterdreamer likes this

blasted be the balance

#6 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:12

@Blaster: That doesn't make much sense. Or rather, it means that you have a problem with her clothes rather than her character model, because I assume they've used the same character model for both Storytime and Europolis. And we know that there will be a limited amount of different clothing available (there was a whole riot during the Kickstarter about the extra clothes given to high-level backers, but some wardrobe choice will be available for everyone), as well as an option to wear a nose-stud or not, if you're into that.
  • Vainamoinen likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#7 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:26

Yeah I'm aware of the tier options since I'm one of the backers. 

Or maybe it's just wrong camera angle that made her look different, hard to tell.

Since the work is still in progress, let's just wait and see what we get in pre-final and final versions.

blasted be the balance

#8 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:05

I kinda like the new "hipster" look, it's the new voice that I just can't get used to yet.  ;)

#9 Layara

Layara

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 May 2014 - 14:51

I really like the way she looks now - thought that the first model of the face looked too young, but ever since they updated it, I'm happy with her. And in terms of clothes, outfits, jewellery etc., I honestly don't see anything out of character compared to DF.

• Lautaro likes this

#10 Shifterdreamer

Shifterdreamer

Arcadia Native

• Forum Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 23 May 2014 - 18:41

I don't like the way she looks on Europolis either. I consider Zoë to be more stylish than that :) Or at least was. Maybe now with her memories erased/brainwashed she's different, in many aspects. Her promotional outfit for DF was the BOMB. And I too loved her hoodie one for Venice. Ahhh. We can't stop complaining can we, haha.

I have a dream... The wolf's not here on a sunny day, the wolf's not here, still I sense him...

#11 Sergey Bessarab

Sergey Bessarab

Rubber Ducky

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKiev, Ukraine

Posted 23 May 2014 - 20:43

About Storytime Zoe's look: i bet that her beanie was Martin Bruusgaard idea and concept  :D

#12 Sergey Bessarab

Sergey Bessarab

Rubber Ducky

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKiev, Ukraine

Posted 23 May 2014 - 20:52

Yeah I'm aware of the tier options since I'm one of the backers. 

Or maybe it's just wrong camera angle that made her look different, hard to tell.

Since the work is still in progress, let's just wait and see what we get in pre-final and final versions.

Blaster, i'm afraid, that her actual look is ALREADY final - according to wallpapers, distributed through Humble Bundle...

P.S. Але вона все одно пречудово віглядає у Сторітаймі  ;)

#13 Shifterdreamer

Shifterdreamer

Arcadia Native

• Forum Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 23 May 2014 - 21:04

But i must admit i like a new "hipster Zoe" in Storytime 

That is the real DF Zoë!! There she is.

• Pylons of Light and Sergey Bessarab like this

I have a dream... The wolf's not here on a sunny day, the wolf's not here, still I sense him...

#14 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 May 2014 - 21:12

About Storytime Zoe's look: i bet that her beanie was Martin Bruusgaard idea and concept  :D

I don't know, Storytime Zoe reminds me a lot of Rakel for some reason.

• Tina likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#15 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 711 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 23:58

I like it. :)

#16 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:47

April Ryan :wub:  She's the one I'm most worried about. But I'm sure they won't mess it up just as they haven't  Zoe's new look.  Hipster Zoe has BANGS :)

#17 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 24 May 2014 - 15:19

I know it's still too early but I also have concerns regarding Zoë's new looks and appearance. I have been worried about this since the first Kickstarter day.
And if Ellie Conrad Leigh is not back, Zoë might as well get a new name, I will like her better. :)
Maybe someone will make a DF Zoë mod for Chapters.

That pretty much sums up how I think. I have kept pretty quiet about this stuff so far, as there has not been much in the way of official announcements, and the game isnt finished. However...

She doesnt look(not her clothing I have issue with) or sound anything like Zoe from the first game, so what was the point in persisting with Zoe.
Just leave her dead, and have April save the day in part 2.

For the record, I dont like her new voice actor at all. They dont even sound similar. You cant get away with completely replacing the main character in a 2 part game.

#18 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 16:45

This sequel is happening many years after the last game in the series. Like most series that happen 20 , 10 year later , the graphics change and some times it's hard to get the same cast together. They have most of the original cast present for Chapters.

Who remembers TMNT 2, the movie? Did you know that it wasn't the same actress who portrayed April in both movies? I didn't.  I didn't notice it until years and years later when I saw the credits.  Also, who has played Still Life  and Still Life Two, different voice actresses.  Also who remembers Escape from Monkey Island and CMI? Different voice actresses played Elaine.  Who has played Tales of Monkey Island? We never thought we'd ever see a sequel to Monkey Island. We went 10 years without seeing any sign of it. Then one day a small time company called Tell Tale Games announced a sequel in the works.  Then we got Tales of Monkey Island. Impressive enough it featured all the original voice actors, actresses and they worked with Ron Gilbert and Lucas Arts. It was one of the last games Lucas Arts worked on. It had the voices but the game wasn't perfect. Still it was a gift to fans. 

Sequels aren't always EVERYTHING we want them to be at first, that doesn't mean they have to be disappointing.  The Mummy 3, which some people liked didn't use the same actress.  It wasn't really a weakness of the film. I honestly can't think of examples. I wish I could... but plenty of movies as sequels have changed actors , actresses and that would be seen as a huge problem to many, but ended up being decent sequels or not the critical flaw of a film. There's no telling if this game will be excellent or not yet. So there's no reason to judge so critically yet.  The team is likely doing the best it can to give us an authentic experience.  Some times you can't get the same actress or actor. It's obvious they tried as most the voice cast is the same including Kian, roper , and April Ryan,Brian Westhouse, etc.  Things happen and some times people can't reprise their role, that was the case with TMNT II.  It's amazing they got Sarah Hamilton again, because she is going through so much right now you wouldn't expect her to take on voice acting which is a difficult , long process. I've never done it but everything in entertainment takes a lonnnng time. :D

I think some people are possibly being too critical of this game, and need to give it  a chance. 

#19 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 18:38

I honestly doubt Zoe's voice change was for artistic reasons. They do have most the original cast.  I think we can all agree while being reasonable that there was no guarantee everyone could, would reprise their roles in this game.  Most of the original cast has though. 

This game has updated graphics.  In the early 90s we had old school adventure games , they were pixelated.  Mid 90s that all changed. Around 97,  we saw this with Curse of monkey island, the graphics were so dramatically different. The characters were different in CMI because the of the art style of the game. It had to be consistent.  They changed it again when they made EMI which funny enough occurred during a transition of gaming where CGI was just getting huge in the year 2000.  Most adventure games didn't survive CGI, they tried it and it was terrible. Simon the Sorcerer 3D comes to mind. Not a terrible game, it's all right.  So fans of the adventure game genre have learned that it's natural to see updated graphics in a game. Also that characters change.  The only difference there is that it was an animation game and that characters could be animated, drawn differently. These games are some what more realistic. Ultimately the characters in these games are only life like, not real life examples of people. People still argue about character design from Monkey Island today.  Then there was Tales of Monkey Island, which updated old CGI graphics, much like they tried to with Chapters.  For tales I think they tried to blend the  Monkey Island two and 3 Guybrush.

They only have one character to base their remodel off of  for Zoe, and they wanted her to look more realistic. I can understand how challenging this might be and how everyone might not at first be comfortable with the result.

Though it's actually pretty common for this sort of thing to happen.

201192-guybrush_threepwood.jpg

Talesofmonkeyisland-31-e1358256911674.jp

What you're experiencing is normal, especially after such a long wait. :) This game has take forever to be made.  With the case of TTG's they had a small budget, and they made episodic adventures so they made smaller sets often and the graphics were so so and ... But I really like what they did with Tales of Monkey Island.

New voices as much as you hate it, they can grow on you. I remember playing Still Life two and at first I just couldn't get used to the new voice. I did hate the change, it just didn't feel like the same character, and she had this stupid red dress on the whole time. It was like if April Ryan in the second game wore a dress. But after a while I accepted it and it was fine. Some times maybe even a better performance than the original actress. I LOVED the first game. It's a masterpiece. The character reminds me of April Ryan, which is completely intentional. 

I highly doubt that Ragnar and his team are over looking her talent  or settling for less. I'm sure that they realize it's not exactly the same voice, but that she is a valid candidate for the job and will give us an emotional experience.  As hard as it is to accept at first change in video game series is a very natural thing honestly.  You might hate it at first but it might grow on you. :)  There are alot of changes to series like Monkey Island.

By the way Still Life was some what inspired by April Ryan, just an interesting fact.  I won't lie and say that change always helps a game. People loved CMI because it came at the correct time. Escape from MI had the same problems most adventure games had trying to use CGI and new interfaces at that time...but it still wasn't rated that critically.  I won't say that all changes pan out in the end, or that everyone is comfortable with them, but a game can still be very entertaining and excellent regardless of changes. 

It's very common in video game series to change like this.  Didn't they do similar things to the Mass Effect series? Maybe I'm wrong.
Anyways, I'm sure it's going to be alright. I sympathize of course. Having most the original cast there Zoe will be missed. I'm thrilled they got Sarah Hamilton to return.  I understand how you feel entirely, because every gamer who has played long enduring series at one point or another is susceptible to experiencing this. As un natural as it seems, and as much bickering as it is going to cause, it's actually fairly common. :P

It's worth noting that April Ryan has ALREADY changed from the first game to the second, so it's not a real surprise that 10 or so years later that Zoe and April Ryan may change again. I understand your frustrations though. At first it's a shock and you want to hate the game but you may end up enjoying it quite a bit and appreciating the performance the actress gives. I'm sure she'll try her best.

#20 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 19:28

We'll just have to wait and see if Zoe comes to life again. I imagine they are working very hard towards tying the series together and that they would notice any truly significant weakness. This is Ragnar's baby. I insulted the second game once, and Ragnar came at me like you would never forget. I was being unfair, looking for attention... I admit. I had no idea I would ever hear from Ragnar, I thought that if I ever met him I would be  star dazed.  I love the Longest Journey.  :) Instead he was in my face haha telling me how closed minded I was.

Kind of heart breaking...

You know it took me probably 10 minutes to get used to the voice change in Still Life 2. We've just seen a small trailer for this game.  I think we have to give it a little more than that.  Alot more work has gone into this game than that.  Ragnar and his team are really passionate about their work and really know their work. They are intimately familiar with it.

Like wise it took me 5 - 10 minutes to fall in love with Curse of monkey island , Tales of Monkey Island, hell... even Dreamfall...
Escape from Monkey Island... which had a new voice actress for Elaine. ( just to remind :D) Those games were dramatically different than the others in the series.

I can see that you're going to give it a chance and I respect that.  I understand your initial concerns and perhaps some people take those too close to heart.  I'm sure you'll give the game a chance and then everyone will have a more established and fair opinion.  After all again, it wasn't purely artistic I'm sure why she's not doing the role again.  I'm sure the team has tried their best to adjust to this change.

Once we get over the initial shock I think we'll be able to judge it better.  I agree with you at first it is alarming. But over time maybe we'll find that they adjusted to this change rather well and that they bring a new dimension to the character.  I don't want to get romantic on you. But, in my experience when playing video games... Characters are only real in our imaginations and hearts.  They may seem life like, but they aren't reality. I admit that it will be difficult to adjust to the changes, of course... but some of them had to happen , most likely.  So when you're playing and you are excited to play a sequel to a game you adore, and love... and it's from a team that loves loves there work and wouldn't ever do wrong by it, we'll see if the magic happens. 

It's in your heart in my opinion and yes change is scary but I think you'll enjoy this game regardless of the change, of which some of it I bet again occurred outside their control, again given the casting of this game. :)

Thanks for your opinions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zoe castillo, zoe, castillo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users