#1 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:44

Just a thought - is it worthwhile to have a dedicated non-spoiler forum for TLJ and Dreamfall? They've both been out for multiple years, and spoiler risk is low. Maybe sub forums for the individual games instead?

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7064 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 November 2013 - 15:38

I don't think that's really needed. We're not that large a community that we need to segment out each individual game in the saga.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2219 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 November 2013 - 16:46

Just a thought - is it worthwhile to have a dedicated non-spoiler forum for TLJ and Dreamfall? They've both been out for multiple years, and spoiler risk is low. Maybe sub forums for the individual games instead?

Is the risk really that low though?  I know I was attracted to the kickstarter because of the enthusiasm of the fanbase, not because I had ever played the game before.  Shoot, they even offered backers the ability to buy TLJ as part of their reward!  Since the kickstarter ended I have completed TLJ, but have just started working my way through DF.  I really do appreciate having forum areas where I know I can go and not have to worry about getting hints or downright spoilers on what is going to happen next.  Of course, I could be the only one...

• Mr Moo likes this

#4 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1782 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 16 November 2013 - 18:15

There were quite a few people who donated to the Kickstarter who never played the games before, so it probably doesn't hurt. 

But I know for us who have played it and discuss it might accidently say something when we squee over how

Spoiler
type of thing.

And I just realized one thing this forum doesn't have... Spoiler tags.  Oh... wait they do...you just gotta type it manually.

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#5 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 16 November 2013 - 23:05

You can post spoilers from the Post Editor with the "Special BBCode"-button next to the font-picker.

Choose "Spoiler" from the dropdown and enter your text. ;)

• Teller and WorldsReunited like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#6 Draco Tempus

Draco Tempus

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:19

You can post spoilers from the Post Editor with the "Special BBCode"-button next to the font-picker.

Choose "Spoiler" from the dropdown and enter your text. ;)

Perhaps it would be a good idea to mention this in some FAQ/instruction/code of conduct post, so people know they can (and should) do it when it's relevant :)

• Morten likes this

All that is gold does not glitter

Not all those who wander are lost

The old that is strong does not wither

Deep roots are not touched by the frost

#7 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 November 2013 - 17:12

Is the risk really that low though?  I know I was attracted to the kickstarter because of the enthusiasm of the fanbase, not because I had ever played the game before.  Shoot, they even offered backers the ability to buy TLJ as part of their reward!  Since the kickstarter ended I have completed TLJ, but have just started working my way through DF.  I really do appreciate having forum areas where I know I can go and not have to worry about getting hints or downright spoilers on what is going to happen next.  Of course, I could be the only one...

Ah Carla, I knew we were kindred spirits.  Yes I hadn't played either when I backed DFC and had to avoid entire areas of the forums, and still couldn't avoid everything.  This isn't a knock on the forum community; I knew I was taking a risk...and I didn't encounter any big spoilers.

That said, I've rectified the problem by playing both games, happy to say.  :)

• popcorngal likes this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#8 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2219 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:27

Ah Carla, I knew we were kindred spirits.  Yes I hadn't played either when I backed DFC and had to avoid entire areas of the forums, and still couldn't avoid everything.  This isn't a knock on the forum community; I knew I was taking a risk...and I didn't encounter any big spoilers.

That said, I've rectified the problem by playing both games, happy to say.  :)

Yay, I'm not the only one!!  I'm still working my way through Dreamfall, slowly but surely.  I'm trying real hard to work through it on my own, though having walkthroughs available makes it tempting to peak.  My only goal is to have it complete before DFC is available so I've got some time! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users