#21 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 05 December 2015 - 21:21

I find it hard to accept Etta as April or a part of April. I am still locked into the Birth-Life-Death or Winter-Spring-Summer cycles we discussed about a year ago. Saga's  "going walking" would indicate a change is coming - everything will be different after her passing (just as it was with April). Beyond that, I am still unclear about the relationship between Etta and the White of the Kin.

April, as April, was half Kin. For April's rebirth as Saga, that apparently is not the case. Also, Etta seems to be involved with creating stories.

• inspector and Hellegennes like this

#22 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 05 December 2015 - 21:59

But then the question comes, why should zoë save April, as this seems to occur naturally. Saga goes for a walk, becomes april, dies and then continues to be saga ? But she's only reborn once as a baby. Does she go through that process for her entire life ?.. "confused"

• SantaMonica99 and the red of the kin like this

#23 Loliloli

Loliloli

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 22:39

But then the question comes, why should zoë save April, as this seems to occur naturally. Saga goes for a walk, becomes april, dies and then continues to be saga ? But she's only reborn once as a baby. Does she go through that process for her entire life ?.. "confused"

I think she does! Also... Faith told Zoe that she did save April! It is really vague why and what April needed to be saved from.

I think my reply here about the whole sister-daughter relationship goes unnoticed somehow... It makes everything fall into place.

Its the post with big "OMGOMGOMG" at the top. lol. Read it guys/girls!

• Sarah_Stark likes this

#24 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:05

And Etta seems to be from somewhere else in the multiverse entirely...maybe?

Saga comments in the Interlude that Magnus calls the place where Etta was born "Midgard". And apparently Magnus himself might have come from Lettoch (given his Scottish accent and the fact that Saga's window look out to it). IIRC, Midgard is the world that humans inhabit in Norse mythology, which would seem to point to our world - although Etta does not look exactly human.

I am also not sure if there is anything special about Lettoch. Google doesn't bring up much...

• agirlnamedbob, Hellegennes and Dhraiden like this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#25 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:55

I caught the Midgard bit, but I wasn't sure if I should interpret that as it being our world or if it's another place that's called that. I mean. It could refer to another world tied deeply to Norse mythology for all we know. I'm not sure why she'd be from somewhere as vague as "our world" and he'd be from somewhere as specific as Lettoch in Scotland if that is how we're supposed to interpret that. (I'm also pretty sure Saga says something about how Lettoch is where Magnus is from when looking out one of the windows pointing there.) 

I'm still not sure how I feel about the universe suddenly seeming much much bigger. Though the fact that the windows can apparently look out to different places is kind of neat. I wonder if they're programmed to those places because Etta and Magnus built the house or they can be changed to look other places. 

...I didn't find much about Lettoch, either, though I may keep digging. But I'm kind of thinking there might not be anything particularly significant to that other than  So I'm not sure if there's anything significant there.

Galath is another name (Welsh?) for Galahad, though.  ...No idea what to make of that...

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#26 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:47

Galahad was the purest of knights.

Agirlnamedbob, the first thing I thought when you wrote "but I'm a bit unsure how she would be reborn as an adult who is pregnant with the other part of her." was, that in some way a part of me is always reborn within my child but those parts becoming one again or being two parts of one thing makes it go weird again.

If I go after looks, Saga looks a lot more like Hanna this time and Hanna can draw too and she seems to be a Dreamer (/Shifter?) and Queenie says great journeys are coming up for her.

I'm not sure if there need to be physical bits of a person to become one with that person. It could also be that once Saga learns who she was and will be, this part that in fact was already in her can come to life (maybe being reunited with Crow or Kian). And maybe she will carry the name of Alvane as an honor to the...wait Crow called April the warrior PRINCESS who saved the balance...soo if Kian is the bloodless king then...

Waa my brain
  • agirlnamedbob, Cendres and SantaMonica99 like this

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#27 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 711 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:37

I mean...I get that the HoAW is full of timefoolery

It makes me very happy that people are using "timefoolery". :D :D :D

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Ringtail and 2 others like this

#28 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1327 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:02

See? This is why I didn't like Saga being a reincarnation of April. It's so goddamned complicated. :P
  • khh and Hellegennes like this

#29 lunitaire

lunitaire

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationModern Day Atlantis

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:45

I'm not entirely certain there is a connection between Etta and the kin. Saga might be half dragon just because she is the spiritual reincarnation of April.

Magus mentions in one of the memories about how it makes him uncomfortable that Galath seems to only visit to see Saga.  If Saga is reincarnated April, then I wonder if Galath is someone that knew April previously or at the very a least one of the kin coming to keep an eye on her. The obvious choice would be Cortez. However Queenie really reminded me of a red dragon, and Saga mentioned being taught by the madam. Alternatively Galath could be Brian Westhouse, which would leave me with the creeps too.

I definitely do agree though that Saga/April Ryan/ their various reincarnations are going to be tied to HoAW.  After all Magnus said it would be the one place they could always find their way back to regardless of what happened.

Alternative crackpot theory: Magnus, Etta, Galath, and Madam could all be dragons. Maybe they are each one of the four dragons: Magnus as red, Etta as white, Galath as green, and Madam as blue. Magnus and Etta are just their generations version of the red and white, and upset that one is forced to live in Stark while the other is stuck in Arcadia, they build the HoAW. However since it is outside of time, creating it resulted in it always existing, and now all four of them and April/Saga might be tied to repeatedly return to HoAW over and over again with each life that they live, always reincarnating to continue the circle.

• Cendres and inspector like this

#30 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 07 December 2015 - 18:24

Here's some more maddness:

The cycle should always begin with April. She dreams of the white Dragon, which could be Etta, and sees the Undreaming. She begins the journey. In Dreamfall she gets killed to avoid the Undreaming...maybe? Maybe that's why Zoe plays a part in "saving" her. She's reborn as Saga (I don't like this but it is probable). She flees the HoAW to be reborn once again as another version of April (yeah don't like this either but it may very well be).

Uncle Galath is family, and I think it may be Cortez, since April realizes she loves him. Of course it can't be a romantic love, since they don't really know each other well. Magnus remains a mistery but I don't think he's a dragon since he doesn't seem free to roam out of the house...it could be that his agony for loosing Etta and Saga is what starts the Undreaming, which to me represents the lack of something and consequent anger that derives from it. Magnus could turn into the Undreaming because, torn by this sense of loss, he goes in search of Saga and also Etta.

April is always meant to start something new, to be the mother of a future. But to do this she must start the longest journey...again

• inspector and TowCat like this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#31 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 December 2015 - 19:15

Has anyone actually gone back and listened to what the spirit of the White says to baby Saga in the first interlude? Something reminded me of that whole "see with different eyes" thing and I felt like there was something in her words that echoed some of what Etta said to Saga in that flashback at the end of the third interlude. And khh mentioned the Sister-Daughter thing.

...But...I think there's some interesting stuff in there about completing a circle and it may be applicable to this conversation. 

I typed it out below:

Spoiler

A couple things worth noting (to me). The fact that when Etta comes in, she doesn't notice that the spirit-ghost-thing is there seems to indicate she doesn't have a connection to White in the same way Saga does? Maybe? Though at the same time, Saga grows up and becomes blind to her, soo...maybe not?

The whole April-Split-Mortal-Kin thing kind of made me consider the whole "we'll reunite, tell stories, the balance will be restored" bit in a potentially different light. 

• khh, Tamahome, ShardofTruth and 1 other like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#32 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2015 - 20:15

...and he'd be from somewhere as specific as Lettoch in Scotland if that is how we're supposed to interpret that...
...I didn't find much about Lettoch, either, though I may keep digging. But I'm kind of thinking there might not be anything particularly significant to that other than  So I'm not sure if there's anything significant there.

I'm not sure there is anything significant, but here is what Lettoch looks like, it's the sort of hamlet that is so tiny that possibly less than a thousand people have ever been 'from' it.  Lettoch is in the Cairngorms National Park and I link to that because of this passage:

Its official English name, Cairngorms National Park, translates into Gaelic as the Blue Hills National Park, with its Gaelic strap-line, Pairc Naiseanta a Mhonaidh Ruaidh, translating into English as the Red Hills National Park. However, the Gaelic gorm is also used as an adjective and verb, meaning green or greening and is often seen in connection with growing grass.

All that talk of coloured mountains made me think of the start of book four, not that I have anywhere to go with it.

• agirlnamedbob and tummy ooh aah like this

#33 ShardofTruth

ShardofTruth

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:34

Yeah, I'm not so sure about all the splitting either, it's seems to be just a convoluted way to explain all the new characters we got in DFC. What makes this even harder to comprehend is how loosely the interludes are connected to the main story (so far) and how much time is skipped in-between. Maybe Saga is April reborn, maybe April is Saga reborn, who knows?

I'm also not convinced Etta is the White Dragon because that would make the baby scene, where the White Dragon talks to Saga, even more strange.

#34 WhiteKin

WhiteKin

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 00:39

I'm also not convinced Etta is the White Dragon because that would make the baby scene, where the White Dragon talks to Saga, even more strange.

Yeah, that's true. I'd forgotten about that scene... I'm still at least as confused as when I finished Dreamfall. Book 5 has a lot of explaining to do B)

#35 lunitaire

lunitaire

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationModern Day Atlantis

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:14

Speaking of the White and Saga, I recently started replaying from the beginning, and I have to ask the following question: when Saga is born, is the weird portal appearing before the fire place assumed to be the white or is it the Undreaming? I know in the next interlude the glowing lights are the White, but they seem really different. 

#36 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:42

Speaking of the White and Saga, I recently started replaying from the beginning, and I have to ask the following question: when Saga is born, is the weird portal appearing before the fire place assumed to be the white or is it the Undreaming? I know in the next interlude the glowing lights are the White, but they seem really different. 

It was a Shift i think. A clue that Saga will be Shifter.

#37 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:38

It's definitely a shift portal.  It matches the design from the other games at least.  As for why it's there?  Saga is certainly a shifter, but why is there a portal at her birth?  I'm not really sure.

#38 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:23

It's definitely a shift portal.  It matches the design from the other games at least.  As for why it's there?  Saga is certainly a shifter, but why is there a portal at her birth?  I'm not really sure.

In Kian's feverish state April tells him she wanted to die so she could be reborned. When April died her spirit shifted there to be reborn, because she knew it was a place of refuge. Remember her life was saved by Lady Alvane in TLJ. Also, it could be that Zoe witnessing April's death may be a contributing factor to why April's spirit shifted there and not someplace else to be reborn.

• Mr Moo, Hellegennes, Starseeker and 1 other like this

#39 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 21:54

OK, this is kind of half-baked and I'm thinking out loud but:  I wonder if the people of the House of All Worlds live multiple lives as different people in different worlds at different times.  Saga "remembers" being April.  Could Cortez actually be Magnus, finding April in the previous cycle   I wonder if the "doting uncle" might actually be manifesting as Kian in the Dreamfall games; so Magnus would be kin to Kian, and his daughter would be an Alvane as well.  I know we haven't seen any evidence of Kian manifesting supernatural abilities but something makes him special.  There's some connection between him and April,  and Lady Alvane (in name at least), and the Rebels seem to have placed an unusual degree of faith in him.  And if you were a draic kin born into the Azadi, it would probably make it as hard to learn your powers as it would be growing up in Stark.

Of course if all four members of the household are kin or half-kin at least, that means either Magnus or the uncle is green.  And the green kin was rather sinister in TLJ.

• Mr Moo likes this

#40 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 23:42

OK, so Galath is Galahad (obvious name reference), Magnus is Arthur (since Magnus means 'great'), Etta (Ruler of the Home) is Maid Marian, and Saga is Alice on her journey through the looking glass :D :D

• inspector likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Saga, April, Etta, White, Spring, Dragon, Kin, Magnus, House of all worlds, HoaW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users