132 replies to this topic

#101 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 18:50

Since RTG still has not even made an announcemet yet if I will ever be able to play book 4 in German I am really angry now! I am not disappointed anymore I am really angry. If I had bought the game in a store I would now go to the store and demand my mnoney back. THAT is how angry I am right now. Yes, it is a great game and yes, RTG is treating German and French customers like shit. That is a fact! They should at least say something like "we are sorry, but we expect the localisation in ..." but nothing. Just silence!

#102 Desotho

Desotho

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 19:28

Maybe one day after Square-Enix translates their Life is Strange :D

#103 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 19:45

Wow, such vehemence. I believe your last post about localization was Jan 6 — i.e. 9 days ago. That seems like a pretty short time, at least to me it seems short. I'm not sure where localizations fall in the priority list, but I'm sure everyone at RTG is extremely busy on multiple fronts. FWIW, I'm still waiting for the latest build to be released on GOG and confirmed to be OK. I sympathize, but I also believe you should be appreciative that RTG is doing localizations at all. For a really small indie game studio to even attempt localizations is a serious challenge.

• Indrid Cold likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#104 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 January 2016 - 23:06

Wow, such vehemence. I believe your last post about localization was Jan 6 — i.e. 9 days ago. That seems like a pretty short time, at least to me it seems short. I'm not sure where localizations fall in the priority list, but I'm sure everyone at RTG is extremely busy on multiple fronts. FWIW, I'm still waiting for the latest build to be released on GOG and confirmed to be OK. I sympathize, but I also believe you should be appreciative that RTG is doing localizations at all. For a really small indie game studio to even attempt localizations is a serious challenge.

I don't think that it's RTG doesn't prioritize it, I think it's just that RTG cannot do the localizations themselves. They've sent the script to their partners, and they can't implement anything into the game before they get the files back from those doing that work.

That said I absolutely understand MarkoH01. The game is out, and has been out for a while, and he feels like they're ignoring the German and the French. I get why he feels like that, I'd probably feel some of the same were I in his position. It's frustrating feeling like you're being overlooked and like you're not being appreciated.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#105 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:18

I understand the feeling; that's why I said, "I sympathize". I've been in minorities a number of times. Yeah, it sucks, but there isn't a lot that can be done about it.

I've been around long enough to realize that it has to be this way. There just aren't enough resources in the world to give everything the attention it truly deserves — just ask anyone who has a relative that has an orphan disease. And while it's true that RTG isn't doing the localizations themselves, it doesn't mean they don't have to devote resources to them.

So yeah, I do sympathize. I think the trick is to achieve a level of acceptance and peace with the way things are. To me, life is much too short to stress over things like this.

• Dmm likes this

#106 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 21:03

Wow, such vehemence. I believe your last post about localization was Jan 6 — i.e. 9 days ago.

And in 9 days it is not possible for RTG to give me at least an answer on an eta? Hmmmm ... if I would get money for a product and I want to show the customer that I care I would at least try to communicate - especially when I know that I atm have not kept the promises of the contract.

I sympathize, but I also believe you should be appreciative that RTG is doing localizations at all.

Oh yes, I should be lucky that they keep what is part of the contract at all. I guess law and buying contracts are works different here in Germany.

btw: sorry for the sarcasm but after two months of waiting my normal light self might have been darkened a bit.

#107 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 21:08

I don't think that it's RTG doesn't prioritize it, I think it's just that RTG cannot do the localizations themselves. They've sent the script to their partners, and they can't implement anything into the game before they get the files back from those doing that work.

I absolutely understand this fact. But even if RTG is not doing the localisation themselves they (or their publisher) have a contract with the localisation partners and there has to be SOMETHING about a timeframe at all in it. Otherwise the localisation could as well arrive 5 years later and I'd guess that this probably would be a bit unacceptable. So I think that RTG must have some possibility of doing pressure.

That said I absolutely understand MarkoH01. The game is out, and has been out for a while, and he feels like they're ignoring the German and the French. I get why he feels like that, I'd probably feel some of the same were I in his position. It's frustrating feeling like you're being overlooked and like you're not being appreciated.

Thank you for this.

#108 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 21:14

Maybe one day after Square-Enix translates their Life is Strange :D

That is great since they have done that now ;)

#109 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 21:22

I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm absolutely not saying this is an excuse. That being said. This forum averages something like 150 posts per day. Slow days can have like ~50, but busy days around releases have had hundreds of posts. ...Granted a lot of those end up being in off topic areas, etc, but my point is just that I don't think RTG is ignoring you. They just don't read every post here or even poke in every thread. This thread is a touch older and since we tend to meander way off topic after a few pages, I honestly think they just probably haven't seen your post. 

The team hasn't been around here all that much since after the holidays, to be entirely honest. Ragnar's last post was roughly two weeks ago. 

I checked other channels and I haven't seen anything recent about translations... :( I'm sorry. Have you tried reaching out to them on any other channels? I can Tweet at Ragnar / RTG and see that gets a response. (Or, if you have Twitter, you can go for it. I've had good luck with getting fairly quick responses on there.) 

• khh likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#110 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 22:02

And in 9 days it is not possible for RTG to give me at least an answer on an eta? Hmmmm ... if I would get money for a product and I want to show the customer that I care I would at least try to communicate - especially when I know that I atm have not kept the promises of the contract.

Oh yes, I should be lucky that they keep what is part of the contract at all. I guess law and buying contracts are works different here in Germany.

btw: sorry for the sarcasm but after two months of waiting my normal light self might have been darkened a bit.

I'm not sure what contract you're referring to. If you're referring to KickStarter, there is no contract AFAIK. That said, yes I agree, people who do KS campaigns, and achieve their funding goal(s), should honor the commitments they made during the campaign. However, there is no contract and, sadly, there are plenty of examples of people/companies who've taken the money but not delivered the goods. Fortunately, that's not true of RTG, at least for the most part. I'm sure you would disagree as far as the localizations are concerned and, as I said, I do sympathize. I am optimistic that they will get done eventually.

I didn't say "lucky"; I said "appreciative". There's a big difference, and what I meant is that it's really nice that RTG said they would do localizations at all. They could have run the campaign without making that commitment, and being such a small studio that would have been completely understandable. I think the fact they did make such a commitment shows how much they do value their backers. True, it would be much better if they would get back to you sooner. Not an excuse, but we've all heard about how strapped RTG's service/customer relations department has been the past while. Hang in there; I'm hopeful it will all work out soon.

The sarcasm is understandable, really. It's always frustrating when something isn't working out the way you would like it to.

#111 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 22:09

With the German localization, it's not just that they promised it in the Kickstarter. RTG has a deal with EuroVideo for distribution in Germany. Thus far Germany is the only country to get a physical release* beyond the Kickstarter copies (and it'll probably stay that way).  I would assume that German localization would be part of that deal, but I don't fully know. 

*Yeah, yeah, yeah, the "physical version" is basically just a disc with a Steam Key, I know. :P

#112 MailMan

MailMan

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:16

Does anyone know what was in the ~600 MB update about 2 days ago (I didn't see any announcements)? Was it the French/German localization?

• Olstyle and jamesb2147 like this

"Your rat catching skills will matter little in the grand scheme of things."

#113 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 15:38

With the German localization, it's not just that they promised it in the Kickstarter. RTG has a deal with EuroVideo for distribution in Germany. Thus far Germany is the only country to get a physical release* beyond the Kickstarter copies (and it'll probably stay that way).  I would assume that German localization would be part of that deal, but I don't fully know. 

*Yeah, yeah, yeah, the "physical version" is basically just a disc with a Steam Key, I know. :P

To be fair, German localization was one of the $1.25M goals.

#114 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 January 2016 - 17:59

To be fair, German localization was one of the $1.25M goals.

I know. That's why I said it's not just the Kickstarter promise. They're also working with a distributor.

I'm absolutely confident that RTG will deliver on all of the incomplete (or not even started) localizations. My point was just that saying that the German version was a KS promise and they might not deliver because that happens doesn't change whatever contract they presumably have with EuroVideo. 

#115 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 18:03

I agree. I get the feeling that RTG fully intends to fulfill all the pledges made in the campaign.

#116 jamesb2147

jamesb2147

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 22:09

Does anyone know what was in the ~600 MB update about 2 days ago (I didn't see any announcements)? Was it the French/German localization?

I was curious about this as well. It's what brought me back to the forum... So far the only thing I've noticed from RTG that was close to being timed with it is the latest KS update, #93, which is basically just about how they need all the $1k+ backers to respond to their emails.

#117 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 January 2016 - 14:30

I was curious about this as well. It's what brought me back to the forum... So far the only thing I've noticed from RTG that was close to being timed with it is the latest KS update, #93, which is basically just about how they need all the $1k+ backers to respond to their emails.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but there's an 81MB patch on GOG from the 22nd January. Here's the changelog:

Patch 4.2.1 (22 January 2016)

• German subtitles for Book 4
  • Improved support for 4:3 aspect ratio
  • Fixed issue where player could get stuck loading a save game
  • Minor audio fixes
  • Minor collision fixes
  • Fixed "popping" sky plane in Europolis

#118 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 14:34

• Fixed issue where player could get stuck loading a save game

I wonder if that refers to the "famous" problem exclusive to GoG.

#119 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 January 2016 - 20:22

I wonder if that refers to the "famous" problem exclusive to GoG.

I believe it refers to a potential bug Morten while that was going on, which caused the load function to be called twice in very rare circumstances. If memory serves it was something that happened to one person on a non GOG platform in the middle of the debacle.
  • Indrid Cold likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#120 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 22:49

There was an additional note about German localization in the Steam post with the latest update (link courtesy of the eagle-eyed Pawlo_86): http://www.steamcomm...934356362177073

"Version 4.2.1 of Dreamfall Chapters is now live, and contains the following fixes:

German subtitles for Book Four
Fixes to French subtitles in books 1-3 (French subs for Book Four will arrive soon)
Improved support for 4:3 resolutions
Fixed issue where player could get stuck loading a save game
Minor audio fixes
Minor collision fixes
Fixed 'popping' sky plane in Europolis
Unity engine upgrade

Please note that German voice overs for the last two episodes will be combined, and will be added to the game after the final episode has been released."
  • agirlnamedbob and khh like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Release, Book Four, Revelations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users