13 replies to this topic

#1 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 28 November 2015 - 21:02

I really like the new look with Unity 5, so I decided to take some screens. I retouched them just a bit.

dfc1.jpg

dfc2.jpg

dfc3.jpg

dfc4.jpg

dfc5.jpg

dfc6.jpg

dfc7.jpg

dfc8.jpg

I hope it's ok for me to post this in this forum :)

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Dmm and 3 others like this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#2 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:05

Nice shots. I'm curious why you would retouch them though.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#3 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:44

Nice shots. I'm curious why you would retouch them though.

I hope I'll make sense :D

When  we play the game, as when we're reading a book or watching a movie, we perceive and interpret moods in our own way. As an artist I'm used portraying these through colors or chiaroscuro. So I gave a little touch here and there, to "overlay" my emotions over the game's

...I hope I made sense :D

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, khh and 4 others like this

#4 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:58

Cool pictures. I think they capture the game well. I especially like the one of Queenie's boat.

I understand what you mean by retouching them though maybe others would understand edited or post-processed better? Maybe we artists just like dramatic lighting (even more dramatic than the game already is). Blame Carravagio. :D

• the red of the kin likes this

#5 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 13:09

I like the shots, yet compared to Unity 4, it often seems like an actual spotlight instead of bouncing environmental light illuminates the characters' faces.

Advantage: Will finally get a properly illuminated shot of Mira's face for the wiki.
  • NeilClaimer likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#6 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 29 November 2015 - 15:06

Many amateur and professional photographers almost always ad their own touch to their photos. It occur quite often. In our hometown we have artists doing this, and I like to find and point out what they might have done. I have found birds flying in the air being added in a full 360 degree panoramic photo, and that's easy to spot. Proportions rarely fit. The panorama was from Cuba and the birds was from Denmark. Who cares if the result is looking good? :D

#7 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 16:11

I hope I'll make sense :D

When  we play the game, as when we're reading a book or watching a movie, we perceive and interpret moods in our own way. As an artist I'm used portraying these through colors or chiaroscuro. So I gave a little touch here and there, to "overlay" my emotions over the game's

...I hope I made sense :D

Cool pictures. I think they capture the game well. I especially like the one of Queenie's boat.

I understand what you mean by retouching them though maybe others would understand edited or post-processed better? Maybe we artists just like dramatic lighting (even more dramatic than the game already is). Blame Carravagio. :D

I totally get the idea of making an image fit what our mind sees/saw. As a long-long-time photographer, I worked hard, and still do, to make images reflect what I saw. I am so much loving the dawn & evolution of digital photography. Post processing in the days of wet chemistry photography was expensive, time-comsuming, difficult, and ultimately very limited, especially in color photography. With tools like Photoshop, Lightroom, and ON1 10, I can now do things I only dreamt about decades ago. Digital photography really has allowed non-painters to be as creative as fine artists. Finally, their imagination and vision are the only limiting factors.

That said, the reason I asked (and it was NOT meant as any kind of criticism) was because people are mostly posting images where they're trying to show the game 'as is' for others to compare so I was curious as to your reasoning.

#8 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 17:44

Yeah sorry: my english is not that good. I meant post-processing: I didn't make Zoe's have "more perfect" than it is already ;D

#9 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 17:47

I totally get the idea of making an image fit what our mind sees/saw. As a long-long-time photographer, I worked hard, and still do, to make images reflect what I saw. I am so much loving the dawn & evolution of digital photography. Post processing in the days of wet chemistry photography was expensive, time-comsuming, difficult, and ultimately very limited, especially in color photography. With tools like Photoshop, Lightroom, and ON1 10, I can now do things I only dreamt about decades ago. Digital photography really has allowed non-painters to be as creative as fine artists. Finally, their imagination and vision are the only limiting factors.

That said, the reason I asked (and it was NOT meant as any kind of criticism) was because people are mostly posting images where they're trying to show the game 'as is' for others to compare so I was curious as to your reasoning.

Absolutely! And look: as an artist anddesigner I'm very used to criticism  and appreciate it, as long as it's constructive :)

I too remember the dark room and all the chemicals: dangerous and very expensive (I flunked one photography class because I was broke at the time :P).

#10 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 29 November 2015 - 18:37

I too remember those days, especially how easy it was to spend 24 hours straight developing a printing a roll of film.  Trying to capture the right contrast through exposure and filters, and dodge highlights was extremely time consuming. Digital photography to day is a dream in comparison.

#11 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 19:09

All this talk about art made me want to draw again... 

enu_low.jpg

zoe_low.jpg

• agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen, khh and 3 others like this

#12 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 20:57

Good likeness, great loose line. We have an art thread, you know? Directing you there... :)

http://redthreadgame...apters-fan-art/

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#13 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 20:59

Digital photography to day is a dream in comparison.

Ain't dat da truth. :)

• Kari2 likes this

#14 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 21:25

Good likeness, great loose line. We have an art thread, you know? Directing you there... :)

http://redthreadgame...apters-fan-art/

ha! Thanks! Sorry: I'm kinda new to the forum, so I'll post them there :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users