51 replies to this topic

#1 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 November 2015 - 19:06

(As many of you have already noticed, the Unity 5 version of DFC is now live. This is just a crude repost of the announcement posted on our Steam community site.)

Rejoice! Our extreme makeover edition full game engine update — from Unity v4.6 to v5.2 — is finally complete and available as a free update for all players. 

Please note that the Mac OSX version will arrive tomorrow, and the Linux version will follow later this week or early next week. 

This extensive (and huge) update includes the first three episodes of Dreamfall Chapters. The fourth episode — Book Four: Revelations — will be available as a free update as soon as it's released. 

Major changes in version 3.2.9 include: 
  • Engine upgrade to Unity 5.2. This upgrade should improve performance and stability for most users 
  • Windows 64-bit version. Players with 64-bit OS and more than 3GB of RAM will experience fewer crashes and better performance. We strongly encourage Windows 32-bit users to upgrade to a 64-bit OS 
  • New notification system for important choices and consequences 
  • Numerous bug fixes and game tweaks, based on player feedback 
  • Enlighten support. This affects the lights and shadows in all scenes, along with material and shader fixes 
  • In-game bug report tool. Note that this tool may be removed in future versions of the game
Please let us know if you experience any problems with the new game engine. We expect to bring out a patch later this week or early next week. 
(If you would like to see all the changes done through the beta versions of the Unity 5 update, you can find them here.) 

Thanks again to all of our dedicated beta testers who helped us track down bugs and test numerous versions of the beta over the past two weeks. We owe you all a warm hug and a cold beer!

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Indrid Cold and 7 others like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#2 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 November 2015 - 19:18

Right now I am downloading the 3.2.9 from beta branch. Is there any difference? Should I switch to main branch to use my savegames with book four?

Or is it OK to stay in beta for 3.2.9 because the two versions are identical?

edit:

Download finished and switched off beta and they seem to be identical. :)

• khh likes this

#3 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 November 2015 - 19:19

Awesome! Fantastic! Congratulations!!! :)

Waiting for GOG version in hours and Book Four next week ;)
  • debro likes this

#4 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 19:43

Thank you for all your hard work!

• Pawlo_86 likes this

#5 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 20:08

When you say "available to all", I assume you're including GOG users, but I don't see it on their site. Do you mean that it's available to Steam users and it's been sent to GOG, and we just have to wait the usual couple of hours for them to release it? I assume so, anyhow. I just want to clarify, is all. I thank all of you for all your hard work on this game over the years. It sounds like the migration to the new engine was a massive migraine for all involved, yet also necessary. I'm glad you did this now. If you'd waited you would have had to remake book four and possibly five, and it sounds like you would have lost your sanity in the process due to the old version of Unity constantly crashing. Thanks again!

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 20:23

When you say "available to all", I assume you're including GOG users, but I don't see it on their site. Do you mean that it's available to Steam users and it's been sent to GOG, and we just have to wait the usual couple of hours for them to release it? I assume so, anyhow. I just want to clarify, is all.

It's probably a matter of 24 hours, or 48... doesn't really matter. Right now, I hope the GOG folks are at home, not at their jobs. :P

Weekend should be it, in any case.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#7 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 23 November 2015 - 21:37

*drool*

Edit: now i know where my 4 month old son gets it from...

• khh likes this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#8 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 22:21

It's probably a matter of 24 hours, or 48... doesn't really matter. Right now, I hope the GOG folks are at home, not at their jobs. :P

Weekend should be it, in any case.

Hope so - but keep in mind it's a U.S. holiday (Thanksgiving) on Thursday, so that may slow things down. :/

#9 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 November 2015 - 22:26

Hope so - but keep in mind it's a U.S. holiday (Thanksgiving) on Thursday, so that may slow things down. :/

GOG HQ are located in Warsaw, Poland. November 26 isn't a holiday in PL. It all depends on how fast RTG will send Unity 5 Dreamfall files to GOG. Not today for sure!
  • agirlnamedbob, khh and DiskJunky like this

#10 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 22:28

That would likely have an impact on it getting up on Humble, as they're located in California, but GOG is based in Poland, so they should be good. 

The only other thing I can think of that might delay the GOG version would be if there's some reason for them to wait until Windows, Max, and Linux versions are good to go before dispatching them. 

EDIT:  :ph34r: 'd partly. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#11 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 22:49

Just started a new game with what I hope is 3.2.9. I just finished the conversation with the Vagabond. So far, I'd say the frame rate is 20 - 30 FPS faster than before, and the visuals really do seem crisper and clearer. So, higher frame rate, better visuals = win-win for me :)

Questions: how do I tell for sure which version I'm running, and how do I tell if it's 32 or 64 bit?

• khh likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#12 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 22:50

That would likely have an impact on it getting up on Humble, as they're located in California, but GOG is based in Poland, so they should be good. 

The only other thing I can think of that might delay the GOG version would be if there's some reason for them to wait until Windows, Max, and Linux versions are good to go before dispatching them. 

EDIT:  :ph34r: 'd partly. 

Well... GOG is known to delay releases because they build their own installer for every release, and now add Galaxy to the mix and... 48 hours? Let's hope is less...

Who's Max? :P

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#13 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 23:00

Who's Max? :P

*sigh*

I can't even blame autocorrect. I'm constantly hitting X when I mean C. It's a problem. 

Whatever, I stand by it. 

• khh, lars, DiskJunky and 1 other like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#14 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 23 November 2015 - 23:06

Now I have imaginings of a DF/LiS crossover 'Max version'

I'm just going to shut my eyes and let my mind run with it for a while :)
  • agirlnamedbob, khh, Indrid Cold and 1 other like this

#15 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 November 2015 - 23:10

Just started a new game with what I hope is 3.2.9. I just finished the conversation with the Vagabond. So far, I'd say the frame rate is 20 - 30 FPS faster than before, and the visuals really do seem crisper and clearer. So, higher frame rate, better visuals = win-win for me :)

Questions: how do I tell for sure which version I'm running, and how do I tell if it's 32 or 64 bit?

If you open the settings in the title page it'll say in the bottom right corner what version it is. To see what executable version you're running open task manager while you have the game running and look at the processes view. If it says Dreamfall Chapters.exe*32 it's the 32-bit (On Windows 8/10 it'll say Dreamfall Chapters (32-bit)). If it just says Dreamfall Chapters.exe it's the 64-bit.

• Mr_Russ likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#16 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 23 November 2015 - 23:10

Now I have imaginings of a DF/LiS crossover 'Max version'

I'm just going to shut my eyes and let my mind run with it for a while :)

Go to your happy place :)

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#17 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 23:30

Go to your happy place :)

penguin-slide.gif

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, DiskJunky and 1 other like this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#18 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 00:08

If you open the settings in the title page it'll say in the bottom right corner what version it is. To see what executable version you're running open task manager while you have the game running and look at the processes view. If it says Dreamfall Chapters.exe*32 it's the 32-bit (On Windows 8/10 it'll say Dreamfall Chapters (32-bit)). If it just says Dreamfall Chapters.exe it's the 64-bit.

Thanks. I tried to look at the settings, but all I saw was a Report a Bug button in the bottom right corner. I'll check again.

I wasn't aware DFC identifies itself in Task Manager like that. That's great.

#19 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 00:29

EDIT: :ph34r: 'd partly.

Whoops - got confused. Thanks Pawlo and Erika. :)

#20 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:12

Thanks. I tried to look at the settings, but all I saw was a Report a Bug button in the bottom right corner. I'll check again.

I wasn't aware DFC identifies itself in Task Manager like that. That's great.

Got it this time. Not sure what happened last time, but I can now see that it's v3.2.9.1 and Task Manager shows no indication that it's 32 bit.

• khh and Mr Moo like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Unity 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users