43 replies to this topic

#1 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:49

I'd never even heard of Dreamfall or TLJ before I bought Chapters last Xmas, but the long wait between books led to me picking up both older games in the Steam Summer Sale.  TLJ doesn't work well with WINE but Dreamfall works just fine so I've been slowly working my way through it over the last 5 months.

The ending came upon me rather quickly and had some surprises from the point of view of playing Chapters.  I'm going to assume that my first thoughts on it all will not be adding anything new to nine years of fan discussion.  What is the best way to get up to speed quickly with all the main theories about what is going on now that I'm not at all worried about spoilers?

After I've done my background reading I will be back with some thoughts/theories/further questions. :)

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Pawlo_86 and 2 others like this

#2 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:32

My first stop for getting up-to-speed on theorizing is to dive into the DFC "spoilers" section here. Maybe look for threads that have a high post count, or ones that discuss concept art.

You may also want to swing by the official Funcom forum for Dreamfall - http://forums.longestjourney.com - there's a whole lot of historical content there (even from before Dreamfall was released) that formed the basis for ideas that are still being kicked around now.
  • agirlnamedbob and Pawlo_86 like this

#3 boota

boota

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 23 November 2015 - 14:34

here is a let's play of TLJ, if you have time for it. i haven't checked to see if it's good, but you should be able to get the jist of what happens in the game from it.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7078 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 November 2015 - 18:02

I'm going to go against the stream here, I'd say that the best way to get caught up on past fan theories would be to just start talking and posting about what you're thinking now. I don't mind going over old ground again, and even those of us who've been around for a long time can forget. So yeah, my suggestion would be to just get with the posting :)

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 5 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11204 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 18:12

Yeah, I'd agree with khh, more or less. 

You're obviously totally welcome to read through various threads here (or on the Funcom forums) if you're into that sort of thing. And we don't really mind when people resurrect old threads. 

But if that's not your deal and you'd rather just get into the thick of things, like khh said...Just start posting. We don't bite (unless you ask nicely). There's almost always someone willing to discuss theories, even if it's something that may have been hashed out before. And anyone who'd rather not tends to just leave those threads to the people who do. Or maybe chime in with a comment from time to time.

• Tina and chickenjoybokbok like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#6 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 23 November 2015 - 18:17

Yes, don't get influenced by thread upon thread of theories, because lots of that was from the times that we were incredibly curious on how it all goes down when the ending of DF was still very "open". This has been partially filled up with the chapters we have in DFC, but not in a way that was entirely expected. 

If you just know all these spoilerific theories, your experience of  DFC might be colored, I'm not talking about negatively or positively colered, just colored in many ways. Just play

#7 boota

boota

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 19:25

I also think you should just join the discussion where it is right now. most of the theories i've read were sort of debunked/are fighting for survival as each new book is coming out. to me the most important questions lingering are:

Spoiler

to be honest i have not read up on the discussions about the game in a little while. but that's pretty much where i would put my efforts

Edited by boota, 23 November 2015 - 19:29.

• Pawlo_86 likes this

#8 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 19:57

Maybe look for threads that have a high post count, or ones that discuss concept art.

My experience with those sort of threads is that 90% of the hundreds of posts are mostly repeating what 10% of the posts say, and there's no way of filtering out the 90% chaff.

Spoiler

Meta question: do I need spoiler tags in this sub-forum, or can I remove them? They're a pain to work with when also quoting.

• Veen Friend likes this

#9 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11204 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 20:04

Generally speaking, since this is the Spoiler Section for discussions about The Longest Journey Saga, our rule is that anything that's a spoiler for TLJ/Dreamfall is open season for posting. Anything that's a spoiler for Chapters should be tagged or reserved for discussion in the DFC section of the forum. 

• khh, trentjaspar, CosmicD and 2 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#10 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 20:11

I finished this game years ago but it just occured to me as I read your comments that isn't Helena Chang dressed all in white/blue-grey? Meanwhile the White Dragon is in all black. Not sure if that means anything, just thinking out loud.

#11 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 00:15

It's clear that Zoe doesn't retain her clothes when she enters Faith's world, though I'm not sure what the situation would be for other characters.

#12 Laura

Laura

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:00

Oh that is true. I don't know what I was thinking, haha. I guess since Dreamfall Chapters has thrown in some unexpected things, I am reaching.

Still, I am glad you seemed to have enjoyed the game. Maybe I need to play it again so I don't forget details like that! :P I hope your thread can inspire some discussion on theories since I am still really interested in theories that are only based on Dreamfall.

Really minor spoiler for Chapters:

Spoiler

#13 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:56

"careful dad, that's not Reza"...it's very weird, since there is no evidence whatsoever pointing against him...

Spoiler

Regarding the true evil...well TLJ is about balance between worlds..and I think also between "good" and "bad". Let's say it's the Undreaming.

While looking for clues on other aspects of Dreamfall I watched again the scene with the white reborn being assaulted by "someone". Right after sce screams there is a flapping sound.

Spoiler

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#14 boota

boota

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:02

Regarding the true evil...well TLJ is about balance between worlds..and I think also between "good" and "bad". Let's say it's the Undreaming.

the thing is, though, (as far as i understand it) that the dreaming is what keeps the balance intact, and the undreaming wants to disrupt the balance.

the introduction of stark tech in arcadia is either a symptom of this or the means by which it's done, or it's a dialectical process where it's both a symptom and driver of the events. 

• the red of the kin likes this

#15 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3538 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:07

The deeper question is "Is the Balance a Good. Thing.?" Is it necessary? Did the introduction of the Balance cause an imbalance? Is the perceived fight between Dreaming and Undreaming not a fight, but two halves striving to once more become a whole? Are we seeing the whole picture?

Never mind, just me thinking out loud. ;)

• the red of the kin likes this

#16 boota

boota

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:20

The deeper question is "Is the Balance a Good. Thing.?" Is it necessary? Did the introduction of the Balance cause an imbalance? Is the perceived fight between Dreaming and Undreaming not a fight, but two halves striving to once more become a whole? Are we seeing the whole picture?

Never mind, just me thinking out loud. ;)

if we are to trust the vagabond keeping the undreaming away is the only thing that will prevent the end of time and death to everyone.

#17 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3538 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:49

if we are to trust the vagabond keeping the undreaming away is the only thing that will prevent the end of time and death to everyone.

Exactly. How do we know his version of the story is correct? I'm not saying I'm correct, most of the evidence goes against me or is inconclusive, but Ragnar is seldom one-dimensional...

#18 boota

boota

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 13:21

Exactly. How do we know his version of the story is correct? I'm not saying I'm correct, most of the evidence goes against me or is inconclusive, but Ragnar is seldom one-dimensional...

because if the vagabond cannot be trusted he would not urge zoë to go back to save dreamtime. it would make much more sense for him to make sure she never goes back.

#19 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3538 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 26 November 2015 - 13:22

because if the vagabond cannot be trusted he would not urge zoë to go back to save dreamtime. it would make much more sense for him to make sure she never goes back.

But I'm not saying he's evil, he could just be wrong or misinformed. ;)

• boota likes this

#20 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 26 November 2015 - 13:45

It can depend on your point of view.

Maybe Zoe was doing the right thing in Dreamtime (helping people) and the Vagabon sent her away on purpose.

but this speculation is sterile and he does seem like a strange but good character

• boota likes this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users