#1 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:38

This may have already been asked so apologies for if it's a duplicate. Is there any intention by RTG to support the new Steam Controller?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#2 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:28

Yeah, we have plans of fully supporting it.

We need to test a bit to set up a profile both ingame and on Steam to make sure it works correctly.

We've tested the Steam Controller in our office by quickly setting up a profile for it on Steam, and it seemed to work pretty well out of the box.

However, some buttons do not correspond to the correct actions etc. so that's what I mean with having to set up and ingame profile for it on our side.

I don't know when I'll have the time to do that, but hopefully shortly.

I believe we'll also release an official profile for the controller on Steam when we get it working correctly. :)

• DiskJunky likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#3 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 17 November 2015 - 13:21

I went ahead and tested my steam controller on DFC. in the mouse/keyboard mode it works and you can make keybindings that suit you. But if you're putting all controls as xinput (Dpads, buttonpads, joystick movement, joystick camera etc), the game detects it as such but "joystick camera" doesn't seem to function like it's supposed to be, it just registers as "movement".

And if you then try to turn the right pad into mouse again, the game won't register it either because it still preceive the controller as Xinput.

So you're kinda "stuck" to have the steamcontroller exclusively function as "mouse and keyboard"

The odd thing is that when you go into the configuration of "joystick camera" you can also select "right joystick", but it'll always revert to "left joystick". Maybe it's a steam bug ?

• DiskJunky likes this

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 November 2015 - 14:09

I don't know really.

Forgot to mention that we also had the controller hooked up and forced it to not use a controller profile ingame to make it work best (sort of making the controller "emulate" a keyboard and mouse) so that you can use the direct input of both the pads.

As mentioned, we haven't looked too much into it yet. Only quick testing here and there. We'll hopefully get time to look further into fully supporting the Steam controller soon. :)

• CosmicD and DiskJunky like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 17 November 2015 - 15:02

Cool, thanks guys :) My christmas present from my wife is a steam controller + link so I was curious if I'd be able to play DFC on it

• Morten and khh like this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#6 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 15:33

you can, but choose the "keyboard and mouse" profile. So the "mouse and keyboard" profile works, and it's also the way it's being used in the most popular steam community profile.

But I also need to rebind every time I'm using the real "mouse and keyboard" :) due to azerty/qwerty issues.

The thing is, when the game detects your "xinput" controller, the UI will also be easier to navigate, interacting is easier and making choices is done by a responsive consolefriendly ui. BUT, you can't loose mouselook because that functionality is offlimits.

• DiskJunky likes this

#7 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 19:20

I just successfully added a totally xinput based working profile to steam community, could anyone try it ? For convenience I also made it so you can click the right pad (camera) and it functions as A button. 

The profile should work but I could only make it work because I managed to retain the "right joystick output mode" after exiting the bigscreen mode configuration of steam, by configuring it a special way. I think this is a steam bigscreen mode issue rather than a game issue.

In order for it to correctly remember the settings:

press steam button to go to bigscreen settings for the game:

Choose configure controller

Choose right pad,

Choose mouse mode

Exit to the game (with B)

Then, repeat the first step, steam button, configure controller, right pad,

Then you have to choose camerajoystick AND right joystick as output in one go. , press b several times to exit the bigscreen modes.

So It seems that whatever thing you want to configure, you have to configure it at the moment where you're switching from mouse back to joystick inputs, that's the only way to retain the "right joystick" output mode.

The moment you come back to this controller config screen any time, it will regress from right joystick output back to left stick output.

So I hope somebody can test this.

• Morten and DiskJunky like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steam, controller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users