11 replies to this topic

#1 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:31

As maybe some of you have already noticed, we've added an in-game message after loading a scene/savegame if your savegame/StoryFlags files are written in one of the more recent beta versions. This is to remind you that you should not be using savegames and StoryFlags from a beta version to play a regular released version.

The in-game message reads: "You're playing an invalid save game from a beta release. Please load a save game from the release version of the game!"

The beta version (v3.2.0 & v3.2.1 + Nov 9th release of v3.2.2) have not been able to correctly save the value of the Book in which a decision has been saved. So for instance, a decision from Book 4 may have been recorded as being set in Book 1, and this will have an impact on how the decisions are handled in some situations.

This was fixed in the 3.2.2 version from yesterday (November 10th 2015).

Even if this was fixed in the most recently released Beta version, we recommend you do not use any written files from any Beta build to continue your playthrough in an officially released version of the game as more Books are released.

Thanks for all your testing, guys! It's really helping us a ton! :D

• khh and Thundex like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#2 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 13:09

Thanks for this Morten. I'm really glad you pointed this out as I suspect many people would figure the save game system is "fully baked" and would/could not be an area of concern.

• Morten and khh like this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#3 artemisofephesus

artemisofephesus

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 November 2015 - 13:39

I am so glad I just read this, I had planned to be all ready for book 4 with beta saves... Though digging through the many hundred saves I have accumulated to find the right one is going to be tedious!

• Mixthos likes this

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 November 2015 - 14:27

Sorry about that, my friend. It was a blooper by us, but luckily ( maybe not for you, though :S ) we noticed it and made sure it would be there in the final release.

• DiskJunky likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2015 - 14:59

Just gives me a reason to finally go back and get the last achievement I need for Kidbot when the game goes out of beta xD

jHevh80.jpg

#6 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 11 November 2015 - 15:33

that's why I backed up my savegames from the last public release and I'll just reinstate them if the testing is over.

• khh likes this

#7 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPaderborn, Germany

Posted 11 November 2015 - 23:27

The beta version (v3.2.0 & v3.2.1 + Nov 9th release of v3.2.2) have not been able to correctly save the value of the Book in which a decision has been saved. So for instance, a decision from Book 4 may have been recorded as being set in Book 1, and this will have an impact on how the decisions are handled in some situations.

Does it save all decisions as being set in book 1? If so, could I use my save from the end of book 1? ;)

#8 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:16

Does it save all decisions as being set in book 1? If so, could I use my save from the end of book 1? ;)

Hehe. Yup, that would actually work fine. As long as you haven't started Book Two.

Still though, I'd recommend you use savegames from an official release version when you're not playing the beta. Just to be sure.  ;)

• Mixthos likes this

#9 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPaderborn, Germany

Posted 12 November 2015 - 20:34

Still though, I'd recommend you use savegames from an official release version when you're not playing the beta. Just to be sure.  ;)

Yay! I'll get another attempt at not flirting with Zelenka! (My completionist brain didn't interpret it as a choice but another conversation path that I had to take.  :rolleyes:)

• Morten likes this

#10 GuybrushThreepwood

GuybrushThreepwood

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 19:56

Will it not work for sure, or is it just not recommended to try?

I don't have a savefile on this computer and was planning on replaying the beta before episode 4.

#11 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7078 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 November 2015 - 20:21

I don't have a savefile on this computer and was planning on replaying the beta before episode 4.

I don't believe there are any currently known bugs with the saving of the choices in the latest beta, so as far as we know it works. However these beta releases aren't tested very carefully for possible bugs of that nature like the release versions are, so there may still be undetected bugs. That's why it's not recommended to try.

I believe the plan is still to release the Unity 5 build of Books 1 - 3 some time before the release of Book 4, so the space in between there might be a good time to replay.

All of that said, if being able to play it now, and being able to play it in Unity 5, is more important to you than the possibility of your choices not being correctly recorded, then it is possible.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#12 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:14

strongly recommend you do not use beta savegames or StoryFlags in an official build.

As a couple of previous beta versions had a bug where every choice were saved with a Book identifier of one (1), this may have severe consequences for when you select "New Game" and then start from any other Book than Book One.

An example:

You've played through Book One and half of Book Two. Then you find out you want to start over from the beginning of Book Two, and your saved choices are from the bugged beta version(s).

Once you select Book Two as you starting point, the game is supposed to remove choices set in Book Two, but keep your choices from Book One.

What will now happen is that it won't be able to correctly remove Book Two choices, but still keep them as it thinks these are set in Book One.

Let's say that in your previous playthrough (before restarting Book Two) you've already been to the National Front Meeting. This "checkpoint", if you will, is saved and not correctly cleared upon restarting Book Two. And when you get to Marcuria again, your progress will be in an incorrect state as it thinks you've been to the meeting already (but you haven't). This may bring with it a lot of different side effects as well. It can severely "confuse" the game as to what choices have been done and what "checkpoints" have been reached.

It's very difficult to explain in text-form and to someone that is not familiar with the code base. :P

However, I hope I explained this in a manner that is understandable, and again I must strongly advise you to not use savegames or StoryFlags from the beta versions.

• Tina, khh, Mr_Russ and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta v3.2+, Savegames, Decisions, StoryFlags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users