Photo

DFC and Steam go "unresponsive" on launch.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heymickey85

Heymickey85

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 19:49

Hi all,

First post here (!) though I've been lurking since before the game launched.  Before I start; I really love what the guys at RTG are doing with Dreamfall: Chapters- keep it coming please!

So, I've been running the beta version for a couple of weeks now with no problems, other than the occasional bug or glitch.  No major crashes or other issues.  Yesterday, I downloaded the 3.2.2 version and suddenly the game simply doesn't open.  The steam "Launching Dreamfall Chapters" window pops up, as usual, but then it hangs and after 30 seconds or so, both DFC and Steam become unresponsive and eventually close.  Oddly, when I open the Task Manager, it displays 4 DFC processes, even after the game has been closed.  The issue has persisted with the very latest (10/11/15) update, also.

I've tried everything i can think of to resolve the issue: I've restarted both Steam and my PC and reinstalled DFC (stopping on the way to check that the current 3.0.5 release works, which it did),, verified the game cache, as well as launching directly from the .exe.  That this issue has only occured since the 3.2.2 update and that Steam is working normally otherwise, suggests to me that the problem lies within DFC, rather than either my PC or Steam.  I'm stumped!

I've attached two screenshots, one of the unresponsive Steam/ DFC and another of my task manager (after the game has been shut off), as well as the output file from the DFC folder and a DX Diagnostic report.  I could also post the Steam .crash file if need be, but it is empty (0KB), so i doubt it contains anything useful (which seems off in itself).  I'm not sure where to find the Unity- related file, but if you need it and can tell me where it is, I'll post that too.

Attached File  DFC not responding.jpg   72.83KB   3 downloads Attached File  Lots of Dreamfallses!.jpg   110.65KB   3 downloads Attached File  DxDiag 10-11-15.txt   39.74KB   2 downloadsAttached File  output_log.txt   14.19KB   1 downloads

Edited by Heymickey85, 10 November 2015 - 19:54.

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2015 - 20:02

What anti-virus do you use? Does the same problem happen if you disable it (temporarily)? Sometimes anti-viruses take issue with applications it's never seen before.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Heymickey85

Heymickey85

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 20:15

/facepalm

Yes, that did the trick.  Thank you!  I use Avast!, which has never given me problems before.  Now I feel silly and shall go and hide again for another year, out of shame.

Thanks again.

• Morten, khh and GistOfSpirit like this

#4 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 20:18

Hey, if you hadn't come forward and participated, you might never have found your answer. Never mind facepalming; things like this happen to everyone.

• khh, Dmm and Heymickey85 like this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2015 - 20:38

/facepalm

Yes, that did the trick.  Thank you!  I use Avast!, which has never given me problems before.  Now I feel silly and shall go and hide again for another year, out of shame.

Thanks again.

I'm glad that was it. I didn't actually have any other ideas.

There's no reason to feel bad, though. It wouldn't actually have been my first suggestion, except you'd already tried the first few things I was going to suggest. And I've been around here, so I remember that there's been occasional issues with anti virus programs like this in the past with new releases.

So do stick around the forums, if you have a mind to :D

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 Heymickey85

Heymickey85

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 20:44

Thanks!  I may well do that  :D

For posterity, in case anyone else has this problem:

The issue is with the File System Shield.  To get DFC (or any other program it's blocking) to work again, open up the Avast! UI and  click on the 'Settings' tab on the left hand side.  Then click on 'Active Protection' and that should bring up a list of things that Avast! is running.  On the 'File System Shield bar', click on 'customise'.  This will bring up another window, with another list on the left.  Click on 'Exclusions' and add the filepath of DFC (or whatever).  With that done, the game should now work correctly!

• Morten, khh, GistOfSpirit and 2 others like this

#7 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 00:32

Very nice explanation Heymickey85. With advice like that you really should stick around.

• Morten likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users