Photo

Crash after latest beta patch (reports included)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 17:34

Attached the 3 files from the crash report, first time the game has ever crashed on me since release. Honestly feel like the only one who is having issues with the new engine so hopefully the technical people can figure out what is going on.

Interesting to note, not matter what resolution I use (having vsync disabled) the game won't go any higher than 30fps..even with everything set to the lowest settings.

Attached Files

jHevh80.jpg

#2 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 November 2015 - 18:19

If you're able to enter another scene of the game (other than the ones you're crashing in the most) and submit a Bug Report ( Ctrl+B ), that would add some extra info for us to look at. :)

Mind you, we just released the latest beta version that fixed the Bug Report tool not working. So if you haven't downloaded that version yet, I recommend you do. :)

• Aj17 likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#3 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 November 2015 - 18:30

I can at least see from the crash dump that the error occurs because the game is trying to read from or write to a file/location in which it doesn't have the appropriate access flags.

Exact exception information: "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access."

I guess you could try to run the game as administrator to see if that has any effect.

However, according to the game's output log that you sent it seems that it manages to read your Marcuria (Ch. 8 Zoe in Marcuria) savegame just fine. But when reading your Europolis (Ch. 4 Propast) savegame it crashes right away due to an access violation.

• Aj17 likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#4 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 18:40

I can at least see from the crash dump that the error occurs because the game is trying to read from or write to a file/location in which it doesn't have the appropriate access flags.

Exact exception information: "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access."

I guess you could try to run the game as administrator to see if that has any effect.

However, according to the game's output log that you sent it seems that it manages to read your Marcuria (Ch. 8 Zoe in Marcuria) savegame just fine. But when reading your Europolis (Ch. 4 Propast) savegame it crashes right away due to an access violation.

Actually didn't crash until I downloaded the latest update this morning, not sure if that helps at all. Been testing and sending in Bug reports off and on but it seriously feels like there's a huge memory leak or something going on. I'll send over  a bug report from the areas that crashed the game asap :)

jHevh80.jpg

#5 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 18:57

Morten explained that there is a MAJOR memory leak issue with the U5 build they're using (and why they continue to use it) here: http://redthreadgame...sh/#entry104792

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#6 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 November 2015 - 19:03

This error seems to be caused by a more specific access violation, and does not seem like a normal "out-of-memory" issue, based on the files you provided.

It may indicate an error with read/write access rights to a path that the game uses, and might be caused by corrupted files, other programs interfering or anything of the likes. 

The exception code is 0xC0000005 and by Googling it alongside your installed Windows version (8.1 version 6.3.9600 64-bit) there are a lot of threads with people getting this with numerous applications. Many of which seems to be when using/starting Windows Explorer (file browser).

I've skimmed through some of them, but haven't gotten to a conclusion yet. As mentioned, there may be a lot of reasons for why one may experience this issue.

This result seems to be one of the more on-point ones and the crash dump is exactly as the one you provided. It mentions Apple's iCloud Control Panel app with its ShellStreams64.dll file being the result of the error.

It's pretty much a long shot, but it might be worth to check if this may be relevant to your computer. I'd also suggest you read through some of the other Google results to see if any solutions reported may help you.

The error in question is also reported to stem from some graphics drivers. As mentioned, there's a lot of different results when trying to search for this issue. :/

However, I think it's safe to say that it's most likely an issue with something specific in your system, as currently you're the only one seeing this issue. 

I can't say I have a solution for you, but maybe you could have a look into some of the results on the web with people having similar issues and see if there's any solution out there that may have an impact.

I'd be happy to help you further with this, when I have the time for it of course. Please update with any results. :)

• khh, Mixthos and Aj17 like this

#7 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 19:16

Thanks a lot for taking the time out Morten, I'll pm you when I find what's causing this. Gonna read through all those searches xD

jHevh80.jpg

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2015 - 19:51

I'm pretty sure this crash is actually caused by Unity trying to read from memory it hasn't allocated (that is: memory it doesn't own). The crash log says "Read from location 0001cffc caused an access violation." It happens just after the game set up a worker thread for Enlighten too, and since that's a new bit of code and we know they've messed up the pointer logic there (since it's leaking memory), it seems reasonable it'd be a bug there. And memory violations are more fatal than IO errors, so it'd fit better with the crash too.

That said there are a lot of messages like this in the output log too

"The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1649)"

So it probably wouldn't hurt to verify the integrity of the game cache, though that may be a bug with the beta (I haven't seen a lot of these output logs for the beta).

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#9 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 20:24

Yeahhhh, Windows doesn't like it when a program tries to access memory that's not assigned to it :)

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#10 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 22:07

I'm pretty sure this crash is actually caused by Unity trying to read from memory it hasn't allocated (that is: memory it doesn't own). The crash log says "Read from location 0001cffc caused an access violation." It happens just after the game set up a worker thread for Enlighten too, and since that's a new bit of code and we know they've messed up the pointer logic there (since it's leaking memory), it seems reasonable it'd be a bug there. And memory violations are more fatal than IO errors, so it'd fit better with the crash too.

So it probably wouldn't hurt to verify the integrity of the game cache, though that may be a bug with the beta (I haven't seen a lot of these output logs for the beta).

Gonna verify the game cache right now, report back in a sec.

Edit: Nope train

ojb6Eni.jpg

jHevh80.jpg

#11 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:57

That's a great theory to be honest.

I wonder why this isn't necessarily a problem for more people, though. Maybe it may be more of an edge case?

The missing Behaviour messages indicate a script on an object that is missing. 

Rest assured it's nothing that will break the game. The reason I can say that is because for Unity 4, we used a third party tool to update 3D meshes within the Unity Editor, which we no longer use for Unity 5.

The tool has its own "handler" script that is put on the object, that will make it's editor window behave correctly. Since some scenes have a lot of these custom meshes, we haven't gotten to clean up every missing script of this type yet. 

Again, it's not breaking anything, but it creates an ominous warning in the log upon loading a scene.

• khh and Mixthos like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users