#21 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPaderborn, Germany

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:58

Does anyone know why the leaked memory is seen by Windows as part of the "System" process?

Normally the system only takes ~200MB on my computer. That doesn't change much when starting DFC. But after a few hours the System process takes up ~7.4GB of my memory. When I quit DFC that goes back to normal after a few seconds. The DFC process has a normal amount of memory all the time. (Around 1GB to 2.5GB.)

Just started, main menu:

Attached File  memory leak (just started, menu).PNG   9.32KB   3 downloads

Just started, Europolis:

Attached File  memory leak (just started, europolis).PNG   9.74KB   3 downloads

After a few hours, Europolis:

Attached File  memory leak (after a few hours, europolis).PNG   9.79KB   3 downloads

A few seconds after quitting:

Attached File  memory leak (seconds after quitting).PNG   5.15KB   3 downloads

#22 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:38

Yeah, Windows 10 introduced a feature where it will compress rarely used blocks of memory in memory before it's ejected to disk. Since CPUs are so much faster than memory, and memory so much faster than disk, the compressed memory is still much faster to access than the pagefile on the disk. This allows the computer to keep more things in memory and generally perform a little better when memory is scarce. The compressed memory is shown in task manager as belonging to system rather than the process in question.
  • Morten, Mr Moo, Mixthos and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#23 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3090 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:10

So I guess when this is out of beta, we should make sure to quit the game every couple of hours (or less/more depending on RAM)?

#24 boota

boota

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:26

So I guess when this is out of beta, we should make sure to quit the game every couple of hours (or less/more depending on RAM)?

well... actually, the game quits for you ;)

you will be restored to the latest save point when launching the game after the crash.

• khh, Indrid Cold and Mixthos like this

#25 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3090 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:57

well... actually, the game quits for you ;)

That's a good point :D But I think if the memory fills up it may cause problems even before it crashes. Plus, the crash could happen when I've spent 20 minutes since the last save point; better to choose when it exists.

#26 boota

boota

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:15

That's a good point :D But I think if the memory fills up it may cause problems even before it crashes. Plus, the crash could happen when I've spent 20 minutes since the last save point; better to choose when it exists.

yeah, though i don't think the savepoints are that far between anywhere actually.

#27 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 13:20

Yeah, Windows 10 introduced a feature where it will compress rarely used blocks of memory in memory before it's ejected to disk. Since CPUs are so much faster than memory, and memory so much faster than disk, the compressed memory is still much faster to access than the pagefile on the disk. This allows the computer to keep more things in memory and generally perform a little better when memory is scarce. The compressed memory is shown in task manager as belonging to system rather than the process in question.

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware that Windows 10 had introduced memory compression. It's not new tech, but AFAIK, it is new to MS. It makes total sense that System, or some other Windows 10 process, would have to take ownership of compressed memory, since applications wouldn't know how to decompress it.

• khh likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users