#1 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPaderborn, Germany

Posted 04 November 2015 - 22:32

Since I can't report bugs in the Main Menu or during videos, I'll report it here: The main menu and the intro video are limited to 15fps, which makes the main menu seem very sluggish and the intro video (for me) unbearable to watch even though there's not much movement.

Graphics Card: GTX 970

Resolution: 3840x2160

I don't know if it affects other videos as well or if this has changed with Unity 5 - I haven't played in a while. ;)

#2 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 23:50

On my system (i7, 16GB RAM, GTX750 Ti SC, dual 30" Dell UltraSharp @ 2560X1600) the whole opening sequence of April's funeral and Saga's birth runs at 30 to 60 FPS.

The blue singer right at the beginning runs at 30 FPS, the overview of April's funeral boat is at 60. The FPS goes up and down between 30 and 60 for the rest of the video.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#3 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 00:54

The prologue runs at 20-60fps for me as well. I meant the video before that. (I wouldn't call the prologue a video because it's rendered in-game. Although my post may have been unclear. ;))

#4 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:31

Are you referring to the short intro video with the narrator with the white background and the rotating balance symbol? For me that's 45 fps with no v-synch and 30 fps with v-synch enabled. Though at least the rotating balance symbol looks a bit frame-y as it rotates.

Main menu is a bit more; 48 or 49 fps with v-synch disabled and 30 fps with v-synch enabled.

I am using Steam's native fps counter for these measurements. Not sure if that counter is considered unreliable or not.

My resolution is 1920x1080 (my monitor won't support higher). The measurements are with every setting enabled at the highest option (except motion blur and noise grain).

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:42

ShadowNate hit on a good point there.

Mixthos, when you say 15 fps are you talking about the frames as shown by a framerate counter, or are you talking about the video subjectively appearing choppy despite running at reasonable framerates as measured by a framerate counter?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 20:13

Thanks ShadowNate; I wasn't aware that Steam had a FPS counter. I BINGed it and found out how to enable it.

So, the opening sequence, with the text and narrator, runs at 20 FPS for me. I'll look into how the other sequences compare when using the Steam counter, as opposed to the FRAPS values I posted earlier.

#7 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 22:58

Are you referring to the short intro video with the narrator with the white background and the rotating balance symbol? For me that's 45 fps with no v-synch and 30 fps with v-synch enabled. Though at least the rotating balance symbol looks a bit frame-y as it rotates.

Yes, I was referring to the video with the balance symbol.

I am using Steam's native fps counter for these measurements. Not sure if that counter is considered unreliable or not.

I didn't know Steam had an fps counter. I'm using FRAPS.

Mixthos, when you say 15 fps are you talking about the frames as shown by a framerate counter, or are you talking about the video subjectively appearing choppy despite running at reasonable framerates as measured by a framerate counter?

I'm talking about the framerate measured by FRAPS, but it's also subjectively choppy. ;)

I'm using G-Sync instead of V-Sync. I'll try disabling it, even though it's working correctly in-game.

#8 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 19:42

I changed the resolution from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080. Now the main menu is running at 60fps. Weird. Well... Four times the pixels equals quarter fps?  :lol: The main menu should be more resource hungry than the game itself though.

#9 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 20:48

I'm not sure why you would find that weird. Surely you would expect higher resolutions to require more GPU power and therefor you would get fewer frames per second.

Why would you think the main menu should be more resource hungry than the game, or did you mean to say "should not be more"?

#10 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 21:11

The main menu is actually fairly intensive, as I've seen some weird performance issues sometimes with it, but nothing with the actual game.  There are quite a lot of lighting and particle effects there that are always demanding on a GPU, and in different ways than you might see elsewhere. 

• Mixthos likes this

#11 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 21:39

I'm not sure why you would find that weird. Surely you would expect higher resolutions to require more GPU power and therefor you would get fewer frames per second.

Why would you think the main menu should be more resource hungry than the game, or did you mean to say "should not be more"?

I meant it should not be more resource hungry.  :lol: I find it weird because a) the decrease in fps is so massive, and B) because the fps in the menu are constantly at 15fps with next to no fluctuation.

Also, this indicates that the main menu is still being rendered in the background while the intro video is playing. Maybe that should be changed. ;)

#12 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 November 2015 - 21:42

Actually this might be another v-sync triple-buffering bug. Try disabling v-sync and see what happens?

April Ryan is my friend,

#13 Mixthos

Mixthos

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 22:21

I'm using G-Sync instead of V-Sync. When I disable G-Sync on 4k I get 20fps instead of 15fps. (Also constant.) I do get 700fps on the splash screens.  :D

BTW: Is the Unity splash screen staying after the Beta? Unskippable logos are annoying.

#14 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 November 2015 - 22:25

BTW: Is the Unity splash screen staying after the Beta? Unskippable logos are annoying.

Probably not. At least I hope not.

April Ryan is my friend,

#15 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 22:36

I meant it should not be more resource hungry.  :lol: I find it weird because a) the decrease in fps is so massive, and B) because the fps in the menu are constantly at 15fps with next to no fluctuation.

Also, this indicates that the main menu is still being rendered in the background while the intro video is playing. Maybe that should be changed. ;)

I agree. Given its relative simplicity (or appearance of simplicity) it does seem somewhat odd that the menu is so demanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users