Photo

Dreamfall Chapters UNITY 5 improved graphics screenshots!

unity 5 graphics before and after new engine

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#101 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2015 - 17:37

Are these both U5 or is one U4?

Both are U5 :) 

few more, 

http://i.imgur.com/RWTbSFs.png

http://i.imgur.com/WCOoLH2.png

http://i.imgur.com/Z2kNn36.png

http://i.imgur.com/dwJvm52.png

• debro likes this

jHevh80.jpg

#102 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 11 November 2015 - 20:07

New versions seem like unfinished. (quay looks like water).

Maybe it is due to specific configurations?

Used with Steam version                      Used with HumbleBundle version

El Capitain 10.11 beta 4                                       El Capitan 10.11.2

Macbook 12 pouces                                             MacMini 2012

1,2 GHz Intel Core M                                            2,5 GHz Intel Core I5

8Go 1600 MHz DDR                                            16 GO 1600 MHZ DDR3

Resolution 2304 x 1440 SSD                               Resolution 1680 x 1050 SSD 500 Go

Intel Graphics 5300 1536 Mo                               Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

#103 Tomer

Tomer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 11 November 2015 - 20:17

I dunno, people here talk about the "crispiness" and sharpness of the Unity 5, but I kind of enjoyed the dreamlike fuzziness of the old version. I never actually conceived that to be a graphical drawback...

#104 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 11 November 2015 - 20:59

I dunno, people here talk about the "crispiness" and sharpness of the Unity 5, but I kind of enjoyed the dreamlike fuzziness of the old version. I never actually conceived that to be a graphical drawback...

What you are probably referring to is the bloom effect which is absent in these screenshots because some of the lighting and shader effects are currently missing from the beta. The things people talk about are a different matter.

• Veen Friend likes this

#105 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2015 - 21:02

I turned bloom off on purpose, hate the blurry look it gives everything...like it's hot out xD personal preference but I always disable bloom and noise effects.

jHevh80.jpg

#106 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 11 November 2015 - 21:27

The matter of taste can be hard to discuss. Newest Screenshots definitely doesn't look bad. It's going in the right direction. :)

#107 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 11 November 2015 - 21:31

New versions seem like unfinished. (quay looks like water).

Maybe it is due to specific configurations?

My grandmother had a saying "Never show unfinished work to fools, they always find reason for critics"

(a stone for my garden :-) )

I'll wait for the final version before making my opinion.

• Veen Friend likes this

Used with Steam version                      Used with HumbleBundle version

El Capitain 10.11 beta 4                                       El Capitan 10.11.2

Macbook 12 pouces                                             MacMini 2012

1,2 GHz Intel Core M                                            2,5 GHz Intel Core I5

8Go 1600 MHz DDR                                            16 GO 1600 MHZ DDR3

Resolution 2304 x 1440 SSD                               Resolution 1680 x 1050 SSD 500 Go

Intel Graphics 5300 1536 Mo                               Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

#108 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 21:38

I don't think anyone is really being critical. We're simply making observations. I'm certainly not trying to pressure RTG to go one direction or another.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#109 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 23:02

I turned bloom off on purpose, hate the blurry look it gives everything...like it's hot out xD personal preference but I always disable bloom and noise effects.

Yet your avatar speaks otherwise.  :P

#110 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:14

Yet your avatar speaks otherwise.  :P

Blame the forum compression methods :P

jHevh80.jpg

#111 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:25

After latest beta update to the game, looking better and better. Bloom is turned off :P not a fan of it.

http://i.imgur.com/t8MyG2V.png

http://i.imgur.com/Um00ygy.png

http://i.imgur.com/2QW1BPT.png

• WorldsReunited, khh, Mr_Russ and 3 others like this

jHevh80.jpg

#112 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:19

I am not a fan of bloom either - nor flare for that matter. The last thing I want to feel when I play a game is that I am looking through a camera lens in the direction of the sun or some other bright light.

#113 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:08

I'm actually a fan of Bloom (when it's not overused) and I liked Dreamfall's "dreamy" bloom effect. I acctually thought it was a concious choice, strictly related to the story's plot.
Aside from that missing I'm noticing excessively strong bump maps and an overall excess of contrast in the videogame. Also I don't understand what's going on on the pictures' corners...it seems like the RBG is getting split?

On the other hand I notice much better lighting on people. And frame rate seems to be gone higher. So great :)

• loranna238 likes this

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#114 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:36

I'm actually a fan of Bloom (when it's not overused) and I liked Dreamfall's "dreamy" bloom effect. I acctually thought it was a concious choice, strictly related to the story's plot.
Aside from that missing I'm noticing excessively strong bump maps and an overall excess of contrast in the videogame. Also I don't understand what's going on on the pictures' corners...it seems like the RBG is getting split?

Yeah, I'm certain that the lighting in places was specifically chosen to look dreamy. That absolutely makes sense.

I think that's the field of focus effect, or what it's called. It's deliberate, at any rate.
  • loranna238 likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#115 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 16:34

I'm not a fan of bloom or flare. I think they're cheap gimmicky, fads. I'm not sure when camera and lens flaws became part of "the way we see the world", but it's not the way I want to see it. I don't see anything "dreamy" about it either. I've never had a dream where things are all fuzzy and soft because of light bloom.

I liken the use of boom and flare to other fads from the past. When household electricity was new, people actually deliberately ran wiring on the surfaces of walls to show to the world that 'they' have electricity. The same thing used to be done with indoor plumbing. Imagine running a toilet drain stack in the corner of a room, visible to everyone in the room, just to prove you have a toilet. Imagine putting up with the noise. More recently (as in the 60s ;) ), Bulova made a transparent watch when they first brought out tuning fork watches, and I think it was Microsoft that once produced a transparent mouse.

My point is, none of these things would be done today. In fact, they would be considered very bad taste. That's the nature of fads; they don't last and are ultimately denigrated. So too will it be with lens flare and bloom, IMHO.

Thus endeth the lesson ;) :D

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#116 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2015 - 18:30

I quite like flares etc. If they are not partly broken (and purposefully left that way) like in old europolis. Didn't see any of those in the U5 betas though.
The only thing I usually turn off is DOF, since the textures(posters across the river etc.) are much to beautiful to conceal them.

#117 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 20 November 2015 - 19:07

I also agree about DOF - it is a camera (fixed lens) f-stop issue. The human eye jumps all over the scene and the brain reconstructs an image without DOF issues. It may appear that one is looking in one place, but the eye movement would say otherwise.

#118 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 22:34

Bloom... a fad? Bloom is a real thing in the real world. Especially in lower latitudes and in the summer, bloom is visible on pretty much everything; streets, clothing, flowers, trees, etc. Don't forget that the eye is a lens. Lens flare can too be experienced with just your eyes. Furthermore, if you happen to wear contact lens or -worse- glasses, you should experience more severe lens flare effects more often. Oh, and if you happen to have high astigmatism, even if you wear contact lens, no matter how expensive your contact lens are -and mine are quite expensive-, you will experience strange lighting effects around light sources, such as fuzzy halos, star-shaped effects (Fraunhofer diffraction), pentagonal-shaped or hexagonal-shaped artifacts, strong, circular, big-radius halos around big light sources and much more.

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#119 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 20 November 2015 - 22:37

Yeah, I often see red and blue shift around light sources.
  • khh likes this

#120 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:01

I'm not a fan of bloom or flare. I think they're cheap gimmicky, fads. I'm not sure when camera and lens flaws became part of "the way we see the world", but it's not the way I want to see it. I don't see anything "dreamy" about it either. I've never had a dream where things are all fuzzy and soft because of light bloom.

I liken the use of boom and flare to other fads from the past. When household electricity was new, people actually deliberately ran wiring on the surfaces of walls to show to the world that 'they' have electricity. The same thing used to be done with indoor plumbing. Imagine running a toilet drain stack in the corner of a room, visible to everyone in the room, just to prove you have a toilet. Imagine putting up with the noise. More recently (as in the 60s ;) ), Bulova made a transparent watch when they first brought out tuning fork watches, and I think it was Microsoft that once produced a transparent mouse.

My point is, none of these things would be done today. In fact, they would be considered very bad taste. That's the nature of fads; they don't last and are ultimately denigrated. So too will it be with lens flare and bloom, IMHO.

Thus endeth the lesson ;) :D

I don't agree. For example people tend to not care for natural colors and instead be attracted by bright and glowy ones (does Mc donald ring a bell?). This is one of those things us graphic designers have to take in consideration. Also, revivals are very common (at least in Europe), so it's no surprise 80's are back here in Italy..and 80s equals bright and silly colors. I always hated photoshop stupid emboss effects or glossy surfaces, yet they dominated the design of our websites for decades and guess what: they sill do in many cases.
Not trying to argue with you tastes. I respect them. But to say that blom and flare are gimmicks and bad taste and that nowadays anyone would deingrate them ..well I think it's denying a set of tools that can help a design get better. 

My true opinion about bloom in DFC is that it was indeed a little too accentuated...that's why I thought it was a concious choice. So: little too much but still enjoyable (it reminded me or Oblivion). Now I see the new captures I think they need a little more "atmosphere"..

Kindly
Walter

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unity 5, graphics, before and after, new engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users