Photo

Dreamfall Chapters UNITY 5 improved graphics screenshots!

unity 5 graphics before and after new engine

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#81 Shitbot

Shitbot

Fringe Café Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:41

Most of those are eye-bleedingly bad. Dark scenes are too dark, light scenes look desaturated, weird textures glaring from various places. Is this what Book 4 is going to look like for everyone? Finishing DFC is becoming a Sisyphean task.

#82 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:43

Most of those are eye-bleedingly bad. Dark scenes are too dark, light scenes look desaturated, weird textures glaring from various places. Is this what Book 4 is going to look like for everyone? Finishing DFC is becoming a Sisyphean task.

Gamma is set to my preference, there's a reason there's a slider in game. Also I disagree about the game looking bad >.>

• Dmm and Veen Friend like this

jHevh80.jpg

#83 Shitbot

Shitbot

Fringe Café Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:25

Gamma is set to my preference

You mean, those dark images are EVEN DARKER by default?

http://i65.tinypic.com/1zmcnyu.png

Lousy textures, and wtf is that tumor on Zoe's hand?

http://i68.tinypic.com/x11575.png

Oh Mai Gawd WAT IS WRONG WITH UR FAAAAACE???

• Tomer likes this

#84 Mivey

Mivey

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 13:31

I hope that the chromatic aberation can be deactivated. Horrible on the eyes. Really don't see why you would use it like that. The edges of the screen are also very distracting, some sort of lens distortion?

The lighting otherwise is fine. Just give me the option to turn a few effects down on PC. All I would ask for, really.

#85 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 08 November 2015 - 14:09

I hope that the chromatic aberation can be deactivated. Horrible on the eyes.

I don't know if you are writing about the "raindrop" effect but if not, I would like an option to disable it. It only appears when "Bloom" is activated and it is a novelty of U5. It is pretty distracting and annoying to make screenshots. I'd like to keep the bloom effect otherwise.

(Sorry if this has been mentioned before)

Attached Files

• Attached File  _00.jpg   57.53KB   9 downloads

#86 spteng

spteng

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 14:19

I don't know if you are writing about the "raindrop" effect but if not, I would like an option to disable it. It only appears when "Bloom" is activated and it is a novelty of U5. It is pretty distracting and annoying to make screenshots. I'd like to keep the bloom effect otherwise.

(Sorry if this has been mentioned before)

I actually am not a huge fan of the bloom effect.  If it does comeback, I hope it is toned down.

#87 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 14:22

Oh come on... GOG beta next week?!

It's obvious that it looks really different (and maybe I should substitute some of the wiki pics in light of the new lighting). Being used to the old graphics, "different" of course means "wrong" far too immediately. I guess that the little quirks of the former Unity version gave Chapters a very individual touch, but it also was a touch people were in fact complaining about like hell back in 2014 ("TOO MUCH BLOOM" etc.). The new screens look more professional to me, they definitely do, but that may also mean that some of the individuality is lost.

I'll miss the ol' senselessly omnipresent glowing object luminance for a bit. :)

I really want this beta in GOG too... :(

Book 4 is not necessarily going to look like this, remember it was concieved entirely in Unity 5, so it will look as it was intended in the first place!

http://i65.tinypic.com/1zmcnyu.png

Lousy textures, and wtf is that tumor on Zoe's hand?

http://i68.tinypic.com/x11575.png

Oh Mai Gawd WAT IS WRONG WITH UR FAAAAACE???

Hmm yeah Zoë looks weird, she even looks like she had a C-Section in the first screenshot :P

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#88 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 08 November 2015 - 14:28

I actually am not a huge fan of the bloom effect.  If it does comeback, I hope it is toned down.

You can de-activate it in the options.

• Mr_Russ likes this

#89 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 17:33

That seems to be a common misconception I recently became aware of. When I started uploading Chapters pictures to the wiki, it became obvious how any screenshot of the old Chapters version came out way too dark. I have fairly light/gamma'd settings on my PC because I hate 'too dark to see' environments, but whenever I made a screenshot, it went to Photoshop to make it lighter before it went online.

In other words, not all that does not glister is dark. Screenshots always look darker than you'd experience them in the game.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#90 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 08 November 2015 - 18:30

I kinda went picture happy...enjoy xD lol

Lovely pictures. Crisp and clear scenery. Very rich in colors. Night pictures are showing details and deep contrast. Now you know about our Unity 5 development.

Now, we bring you a recent picture from the hideous Unity 8 development studio(8 for infinity and insanity, and very close to reality). We try to figure out by experiments, how blue lights would look like in reality, night time. Hope you like it. And for protection, no NPCs was involved but a ghost. Many nuns has complained about missing textures. And they have gone out missing now, trying to find new ones in the night...

Spoiler

• Anouk likes this

#91 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 10 November 2015 - 00:18

seems the latest version (3.2.12) has the ambient light on the arrival in the house of all worlds from chapter 0 fixed :) However there's still no sunlight in the swamp scenes.

#92 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:17

In 3.2.2 Zoe's eyelashes have grown, especially the ones on the bottom side of the eyes.

Spoiler

#93 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:38

just a quick note: Guess I was tired, it's ofcourse 3.2.2 (I just didn't make the logical assumption that on steamdb, the 1 was red and replaced by a green 2 :) 

#94 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:51

In 3.2.12 Zoe's eyelashes have grown, especially the ones on the bottom side of the eyes.

I must say that I don't like it very much.

#95 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 19:11

In 3.2.2 Zoe's eyelashes have grown, especially the ones on the bottom side of the eyes.

Spoiler

How on Earth did you spot that?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#96 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 November 2015 - 19:22

Well, they looked funny eyes open, but worse when she blinks, hence that screenie.  starting to remind me of a venus fly trap.

#97 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2015 - 13:43

2 screens of Storytime now that the game has been patched to the latest version, loving the new lighting.

http://i.imgur.com/OWiSSTs.png

http://i.imgur.com/3wQtNK6.png

jHevh80.jpg

#98 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 15:21

Are these both U5 or is one U4?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#99 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 16:04

2 screens of Storytime now that the game has been patched to the latest version, loving the new lighting.

http://i.imgur.com/OWiSSTs.png
http://i.imgur.com/3wQtNK6.png

Wow! It looks really nice! You can actually tell the difference between the different cloths in Zoë's outfit now. The jacket looks like a shinier leather.

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#100 spteng

spteng

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 17:05

Are these both U5 or is one U4?

Here is a screenshot from earlier in the thread  http://i.imgur.com/sMxUUR9.jpg

Compare it to the new patched version.  http://i.imgur.com/OWiSSTs.png

I definitely like the increased contrast and detail, not to mention the promised increased performance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unity 5, graphics, before and after, new engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users