Photo

Dreamfall Chapters UNITY 5 improved graphics screenshots!

unity 5 graphics before and after new engine

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 Shitbot

Shitbot

Fringe Café Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 19:15

The new ones look just terrible. 

#42 linkgoron

linkgoron

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 20:40

I've played the first 2 parts of the game. I won't have time to do before/after etc.
The settings are max setting on everything, everything on (vsync mostly on), I'm not sure what the gamma/motion blur settings etc settings were, the resolution is 1080p (1920x1080).
Also note that I basically got 60 FPS constant, and when setting vsync off I got at least 70 FPS.

Here's a link to my one drive (easiest solution I found) folder with all the screenshots:
https://onedrive.liv...AKSLtMDkj-ycSB0

Maybe I'll add some more screenshots later.

• yodagreen3 and Veen Friend like this

#43 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 31 October 2015 - 22:33

I guess some of the scenes lack some lights that illuminate the scene of the originals. In the house of all worlds, there's no emiting light from the ghostly arrival and there's no sun light in the funeral environment yet.

• yodagreen3 likes this

#44 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 03 November 2015 - 00:07

The new ones look just terrible. 

I am shocked that you'd say that.

#45 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:18

I'm pretty sure shit bot hates everything :D Just kidding. Shit bot was a hero in the end and showed love...

#46 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 03 November 2015 - 20:08

Thanks for the screenshots. I hope the finetuning of Unity 5 will end up close to what was achieved in Unity 4. Some of the screenshots are already showing improvements, like the scene in Marcuria inside the bar:

I think the lightning in that scene is much more realistic now in Unity 5.

Also I think the tree textures are brilliant clearer and impressive in other scenes.

• Daveed93 and Bruno like this

#47 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2015 - 23:25

2 shots from the end of Book 3, posting as links since the size is huge xD but its so damn prettyyyyyyyyyyyy lol

http://i.imgur.com/n7FqfY0.png

http://i.imgur.com/fulQ96H.png

• khh, Ringtail, Dmm and 3 others like this

jHevh80.jpg

#48 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:25

Very nice pictures - and, I miss April's plant. :(

#49 Moto200

Moto200

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDundee, UK / Lublin, PL

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:53

So, quite in line with what we've been told by the team before - the new screenshots are basically the old scenes with missing lights/effects and inconsistent colour, thus breaking the artistic vision of the original somewhat. Made me realise how much work is yet to be done! My words of support and understanding go to the devs.

Then, we get to read all the posts in this thread about how people love the new ones.

If I was on the art team right now, I'd be facepalming / heartbroken / drinking ;)

• khh, Clairobscur, Mr Moo and 2 others like this

#50 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 04 November 2015 - 15:12

I got the Dreamwalking bug again with the new beta. :)

Attached Files

#51 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 19:26

So, quite in line with what we've been told by the team before - the new screenshots are basically the old scenes with missing lights/effects and inconsistent colour, thus breaking the artistic vision of the original somewhat. Made me realise how much work is yet to be done! My words of support and understanding go to the devs.

Then, we get to read all the posts in this thread about how people love the new ones.

If I was on the art team right now, I'd be facepalming / heartbroken / drinking ;)

I think you're missing the point. Everyone already knows that there are missing lights & effects. We're taking that into account. We're, well at least I'm, saying that I love the new ones because I can envision where they're going to be when all those extra features are added. I can see things that I think have improved significantly, particularly sharpness/crispness. Add that to the original great lighting and effects and we've got something even more amazing than what we had with U4.

• Dmm, TheDreamer and Aj17 like this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#52 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 04 November 2015 - 19:50

I think you're missing the point.

It's always a problem with most people not understanding what a public beta is. I remember RTG releasing some clearly labeled pre-production/alpha footage in the kickstarter (in like the 2nd week), and there was a flood of comments complaining the text was too small and they need to make an option to make it bigger (and then went on to moan about their eye troubles), and that the textures suck and its low polly, and they would never buy it.

There is much to be said for keeping your work away from the public until its ready for release.

• khh, Dmm and Moto200 like this

#53 Moto200

Moto200

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 20:59

I think you're missing the point. Everyone already knows that there are missing lights & effects. We're taking that into account. We're, well at least I'm, saying that I love the new ones because I can envision where they're going to be when all those extra features are added. I can see things that I think have improved significantly, particularly sharpness/crispness. Add that to the original great lighting and effects and we've got something even more amazing than what we had with U4.

Regardless of how people feel about the screenshots from the new beta (or even if they are aware of what 'unfinished' means), the U5 game is still not finished. (That can introduce its own issues like Lee-m posted above.)

Any perceived "improvements", especially in lighting, shadows and colour, are likely a consequence of the game's "unfinishedness" and are probably on their way to being patched out. If we are to believe all updates RTG has given us so far, they're trying to restore the game, not to redesign it.

And while they hinted that updated shaders might improve aesthetics, there's little proof in those screenshots. All of those changes (apart from a few changed models and textures), sharpness/contrast included, could have easily been lighting issues. I work with video, so I know what I'm talking about. Seeing how professional RTG has been so far in approaching visuals, I'd like to believe that they are proud of their well thought-out artistic direction they had in 1.0, and wouldn't accept a situation in which a series of bugs makes them change random things like contrast and colour. Unless they'd be really forced to do that. In all likelihood, the visual improvements mentioned by RTG are going to be much more subtle.

To sum all of this up... when all of this blows over, based on all we know we're going to see a U5 game that looks like the U4 one. And giving praise to the way the game looks like on the beta screenshots is a bit like saying, "I liked it more when it was unfinished, than when you finished it". I'm sure nobody intends any actual offence here. But to the art team, the devs... I can understand if they'd feel a little disheartened :D That's what I meant.

The number one goal here is to make the game look like what it did before, guys. Granted, they might actually decide to change the art direction at this stage, since they have a chance to do so. But nothing of the sort has been confirmed. Let's not get carried away and put extra pressure on RTG.

#54 Drеamer

Drеamer

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 21:22

No reflection on the floor

#55 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 04 November 2015 - 21:31

Any perceived "improvements", especially in lighting, shadows and colour, are likely a consequence of the game's "unfinishedness"

Thats the whole point. Its not finished. They just wanted feed back on bugs and hardware issues. The lack of lighting and dark patches in some areas was clearly pointed out in the notes. Its not even worth bring it up in bug reports IMO. Lighting will be fixed for the retail release.

So lighting aside, it already looks nicer. The areas with finished lighting are vastly improved over unity 4. Just depends on if you know how to look for it.

#56 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 21:36

I certainly don't want to get into a "creds" debate but, among the number of professions and avocations I've pursued over the decades, I've been a pro photog since the 60s, and have worked with just about every medium you can think of. I've looked at some of these shots at the pixel level and I see greater sharpness that I don't believe is due to lighting. That's all I was saying.

Perhaps, in the end, the team will indeed decide to retain the entire look they obtained with the U4 engine. I'm simply saying I prefer the extra sharpness I see in some of the U5 images (to be sure, not all of the U5 images appear sharper; some actually appear less sharp than their U4 counterparts).

As Lee-m stated, it's not finished. My comments about sharpness have only been in these forums. I have not submitted any bugs about lighting or effects, etc. whatsoever. I'm simply saying I see potential for other improvements besides development and hardware compatibility. In the end it will be what it will be, and I'm sure I will like it just as much as the U4 version.

• Hellegennes likes this

#57 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7104 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 November 2015 - 21:56

Well there will be some changes in the final build, we have that confirmed. And Unity 5 is supposed to contain a better lighting engine, so they may want to take advantage of that if they can. Especially since they have to redo all of the lighting anyway. Also the team is aware of this thread, and taking it the right way. So I wouldn't really worry about RTG

• WorldsReunited and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#58 Moto200

Moto200

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 23:07

Well, what can I say. I'm overruled due to lack of perception on my part :)

If RTG are on board with the comments and are in fact eager to experiment, then I'm interested to see what we end up with.

#59 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 00:16

Been poking around in the Unity 5 version a little and a lot of it really does look better. The colors are more vivid and everything is sharper. Some scenes can look a bit more.... game-y if they are sharper though. Much of the lighting in the build that is out right now looks shiny (from what I've seen). The one thing that really bothers me are the sources of red light in Propast. Doesn't look that good on the character model imho. :)

Keep up the great work!

• Veen Friend likes this

#60 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 00:38

I really suspect that the lighting in Propast will be fully addressed before Book 4 is released.

• WorldsReunited and Veen Friend like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unity 5, graphics, before and after, new engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users