Photo

Unity 5 beta now available! BUT PLAYER BEWARE!

Announcement Beta version Unity 5

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#161 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 21 November 2015 - 19:13

RedThreadGames just announced the availability of the Mac Beta on Twitter, but the link/message on Steam above says Windows 64bits only.

Do you know where to find the Mac version? 

Used with Steam version                      Used with HumbleBundle version

El Capitain 10.11 beta 4                                       El Capitan 10.11.2

Macbook 12 pouces                                             MacMini 2012

1,2 GHz Intel Core M                                            2,5 GHz Intel Core I5

8Go 1600 MHz DDR                                            16 GO 1600 MHZ DDR3

Resolution 2304 x 1440 SSD                               Resolution 1680 x 1050 SSD 500 Go

Intel Graphics 5300 1536 Mo                               Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

#162 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1568 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 21 November 2015 - 20:22

There's never been a Mac beta.

This beta is Windows 64-bit only. If you’re using a 32-bit version of Windows or a Mac/Linux OS, you will not be able to download and play the beta (and you might want to consider upgrading to a 64-bit OS) 

Version 3.2.8 has been released to the beta branch. This version, release candidate (RC) 5, is still Windows 64-bit only.

ETA - Ok - not yet then.

#163 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 20:26

Just wait a bit.  They have to upload it and enable it.  May take a while.

• khh likes this

#164 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 21:05

true reflection isn't really something you can do in a game engine without an unreasonable amount of work (processing power).

Yes. Unfortunately, real time ray tracing isn't something most PC's can handle. One day, hopefully.

• khh likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#165 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:13

There's never been a Mac beta.

ETA - Ok - not yet then.

Now there is

RedThreadGames tweet yesterday

https://twitter.com/RedThreadGames

#Dreamfall Mac OSX #Unity5 beta uploading to Steam. Mac players: we welcome your beta testing skills! 

Used with Steam version                      Used with HumbleBundle version

El Capitain 10.11 beta 4                                       El Capitan 10.11.2

Macbook 12 pouces                                             MacMini 2012

1,2 GHz Intel Core M                                            2,5 GHz Intel Core I5

8Go 1600 MHz DDR                                            16 GO 1600 MHZ DDR3

Resolution 2304 x 1440 SSD                               Resolution 1680 x 1050 SSD 500 Go

Intel Graphics 5300 1536 Mo                               Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

#166 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:13

The steam beta in steam for me still shows version 3.2.6

but in the settings window ingame there it shows 3.2.8.2

So just in case someone comes across this. 3.2.6 in Steam is the correct 3.2.8 version. :)

#167 Ravn

Ravn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 17:36

Would you make it possible to change Zoe's hair? I think she looked gorgeous in the first two chapters. Besides, with short hair, I have a feeling like there was something wrong with the 3D model that makes her look less natural.

Anyway, the option to change Zoe's hair (maybe in the beginning of chapter 3, or in a specific place in the city) would certainly make everyone satisfied. 

#168 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 21:13

Would you make it possible to change Zoe's hair? I think she looked gorgeous in the first two chapters. Besides, with short hair, I have a feeling like there was something wrong with the 3D model that makes her look less natural.

Anyway, the option to change Zoe's hair (maybe in the beginning of chapter 3, or in a specific place in the city) would certainly make everyone satisfied. 

I think making character appearance customizations is a bit beyond reality at the moment. RTG is completely tied up trying to get the port to Unity 5 completed, so they can release Book 4, which is now delayed, and then move on to Book 5. I also think there are other features most people consider higher priority, like an improved Save Game methodology. Understand, I don't work for RTG, and have no input on what they do. Perhaps they're just waiting to make customization an option. I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. ;)

#169 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 November 2015 - 22:13

As per the Kickstarter, alternate outfits/hairstyles are supposed to be coming. They are just low priority right now with the everything else. They are, in theory, coming out once the game is complete. Unless something has changed. 

That's all I'm going to say, as I don't want to get into the whole short hair debate. Again. :P

• khh and tummy ooh aah like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#170 Ravn

Ravn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 22:18

I think making character appearance customizations is a bit beyond reality at the moment. RTG is completely tied up trying to get the port to Unity 5 completed, so they can release Book 4, which is now delayed, and then move on to Book 5. I also think there are other features most people consider higher priority, like an improved Save Game methodology. Understand, I don't work for RTG, and have no input on what they do. Perhaps they're just waiting to make customization an option. I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. ;)

I understand very well they may be busy with Unity 5 port but not necessarily all of them work on that (it depends). Also, those two haircut models already exist, so maybe it wouldn't take much work.

And... it could be done with Book 5. Not now.
And... there will be a console port one day (if I recall correctly). 

I thought it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

---

As per the Kickstarter, alternate outfits/hairstyles are supposed to be coming. They are just low priority right now with the everything else. They are, in theory, coming out once the game is complete. Unless something has changed. 

That's all I'm going to say, as I don't want to get into the whole short hair debate. Again. :P

Oh, there was a debate about that. I could've thought so ;)

Thanks for the answer.
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

#171 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 22 November 2015 - 22:26

Oh, there was a debate about that. I could've thought so ;)

Thanks for the answer.

I asked about the extra outfits and hairstyles some months ago and if I recall correctly, Ragnar said they were already implemented in the game and that we might receive the redeem keys before Book Three was out but we're still waiting. :) Now I hope they'll make an Elf costume for Zoë with Christmas coming.

#172 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 22:30

Hair we go again:

:P :lol:

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#173 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 00:58

I understand very well they may be busy with Unity 5 port but not necessarily all of them work on that (it depends). Also, those two haircut models already exist, so maybe it wouldn't take much work.

And... it could be done with Book 5. Not now.
And... there will be a console port one day (if I recall correctly). 

I thought it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

Absolutely it can't hurt to ask. I just wanted to temper expectations, that it may take quite a while for such a feature, given all the other items on the checklist. Who knows, Book 5 might be a reasonable timeframe, but that's many months away at this point. So, keep hoping, but don't hold your breath; don't want to see anyone turning blue or purple waiting for it :D

Actually, now that you brought the hair up again, I think it would be interesting if hair length was a decision point item. If Zoe decides to take path A, she has longer hair. If she takes path B, she wears it shorter :)

#174 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:35

Version 3.2.8 arrived on Steamdb 22 minutes ago. Let's hope that there won't be any blockers and Unity 5 Dreamfall will release today or tomorrow.

#175 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:04

I asked about the extra outfits and hairstyles some months ago and if I recall correctly, Ragnar said they were already implemented in the game and that we might receive the redeem keys before Book Three was out but we're still waiting. :) Now I hope they'll make an Elf costume for Zoë with Christmas coming.

The outfits have been in the game for a long time, but we've kept them locked, since changing outfits isn't entirely trivial (for technical reasons; it can break stuff). Until we fix those (potential) bugs, we won't unlock the alternative outfits — and so far, the focus has been on Unity 5 and Book Four stuff. But we will, of course, do it as soon as we can.

• Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 7 others like this

#176 Mivey

Mivey

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 14:30

The outfits have been in the game for a long time, but we've kept them locked, since changing outfits isn't entirely trivial (for technical reasons; it can break stuff). Until we fix those (potential) bugs, we won't unlock the alternative outfits — and so far, the focus has been on Unity 5 and Book Four stuff. But we will, of course, do it as soon as we can.

Is the plan to work on small stuf like that before Book 5, so that the game releases in a "complete" version, or to first make sure the story is finishable and then fix anything that might still need work? (Keeping in mind, of course, that no plan survices contact with reality)

#177 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 17:57

I'm slow some times :D What version do I want to download? Is it on GOG yet? Thanks guys.
Very excited to pick up where I left off, great timing, as the semester is almost finished. 

I'm on Mac OSX

#178 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 November 2015 - 18:04

I'm slow some times :D What version do I want to download? Is it on GOG yet? Thanks guys.
Very excited to pick up where I left off, great timing, as the semester is almost finished. 
I'm on Mac OSX

According to Ragnar Unity 5 Dreamfall will release on GOG togerher with Book Four so GOG players will got Unity 5 DFC 1-4 but not Unity 5 DFC 1-3. Unity 5 DFC 1-3 is Steam exclusive.
  • yodagreen3 likes this

#179 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:32

The leak is already fixed in earlier versions according to Morten.

It's the regression bugs that caused some "exploding scenary" which prevented RTG from taking that fix till now.

Edit: ninja'd  :ph34r:

I knew I read about the exploding scenes somewhere:

http://www.kotaku.co...mfall-chapters/

And Ragnar's latest blog on medium, confirmed that this bug was introduced in a patch to fix the memory leak.

So I guess I was right even without knowing it :P

#180 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 14:27

So I guess I was right even without knowing it :P

I think that's called luck :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Beta version, Unity 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users