Photo

Unity 5 beta now available! BUT PLAYER BEWARE!

Announcement Beta version Unity 5

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#61 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:42

if vsync is turnd on, you're ofcourse not gonna get anything higher than the refreshrate of your monitor, I have it off for testing purposes, and as I said yesterday. This version of the engine seems to do a better job of memory management, and offscreen rendering policies. I had the impression that the previous engine would just continue to render everything around it, so even if you'd look at a wall you would have no more than 30ish fps, depending on the crowded area.

I've noticed that the bricks is the most intense area right now, because there (and looking at it from the memorial for example), will give me a 20 fps drop (to 40-45). 

The drop to 40 also happens when in the souk near uminska's HQ, and looking down the other corridor towards the direction of eye HQ. but If you look at the wall near uminska HQ, I get these fabled 90fps, even with all settings on high. My report yesterday was done with SSAO on low and no AA

Friar's keep also runs at a steady 50/60 fps, sometimes dropping to the 40's but it's not such a distracting slideshow, because the performance doubled ther and in marcuria as well.

The areas that historically didn't have so much problems such as small areas, and the story time: they just run 20fps faster mostly. Story time is always flirting with 100fpos :) It used to be 70ish.

I backed up and deleted all my savegames and I'm now just giving the game a full rerun. So I can see if there's any other issues. But It seems like story/choices sustained the port very well up until now. I would like to see all flavors of marcuria (night , morning etc) to see how it goes.

#62 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:05

It's just that I'm perfectly happy with the enforced 60 fps upper boundary and everything set on high/awesome, as long as it doesn't dive to the below 30 category (which it has yet to do).

#63 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:26

Also loaded the beta onto my laptop(A8-3520 APU).  On medium settings Propast was typically mid-to-upper teens - improvement over before maybe 2-3 fps.  Going lowest settings added a couple more FPS. mid 20's fps in better game areas.

#64 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:28

As for visual appearance - definitely different, most aspects look better, a few not.  I imagine the artists are getting suicidal over how the world they created, especially fog/lighting, no longer matches their original work.

#65 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:18

It's just that I'm perfectly happy with the enforced 60 fps upper boundary and everything set on high/awesome, as long as it doesn't dive to the below 30 category (which it has yet to do).

People go out of their wits about that stuff in games like batman arkham knight where they shouldnt. It's only really nessecary in online multiplayer games. What most people don't understand is that not everyone is a PC guro and / or overclocks their hardware, and for older pc's not having vsync on could cause overheating. So you'll always see companies adhering to "industry standards" such as "vsync is on by default". There's a reason for that.  So yeah, it's OK to not go over 60 fps.

• mrKnask likes this

#66 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:22

I tried everything but there is no gain whatsoever on my system compared to the 32-bit Unity 4 version. :/

#67 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 14:06

I kinda wonder how you receive these bug report screenshots. Is this a screenshot as I see it but with the menus removed ? Does it have level coordinates so you can quickly move your viewport to it ? Cause I made some double reports of the same thing to further illustrate things because I forgot to mention details :).

For example the consequence notice in propast, the one of the first storytime choice has the word "notice" cut off I hope you see that stuff in the screenshot.

#68 genervt

genervt

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:22

I tried everything but there is no gain whatsoever on my system compared to the 32-bit Unity 4 version. :/

How much RAM has the AMD 7700? The Rest of Your PC is High-End, so you should have a better framerate compared to unity 5. Try to lower Antialiasing or set the game to High instead of awesome.

#69 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:54

How much RAM has the AMD 7700? The Rest of Your PC is High-End, so you should have a better framerate compared to unity 5. Try to lower Antialiasing or set the game to High instead of awesome.

Thank you for your reply. It has 1 Gb RAM. I tried disabling all visual options at once and it basically does not change anything (!). Same for setting the game to High. Low improves the framerate a little (but not much). The most effective is setting the resolution to the lowest (it almost doubles the framerate). I also tried tweaking the AMD software in every possible way but it has no effect either.

I noticed yesterday that my GPU is working at only half its speed, it should explain why I get a slow framerate in Unity 4 or 5 (still I get 45 FPS in Need for Speed games). From what I read on the Internet, my PSU seems to be not powerful enough. Still, since U5 is supposedly less power-demanding, I believe I should see some improvement but there is none. Anyway, the game is totally playable at 15 FPS.

Edit: I am using the latest drivers.

#70 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:33

A PSU which doesn't work with an 7700 would be a really shitty one. Though if the GPU doesn't run at 3D clocks something is seriously wrong in your system and there is no point in discussing framerates of such a system.

Still, lowering resolution on medium settings was already the best option to improve framrate on Unity 4 without loosing all graphical gimmicks.

#71 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:36

A PSU which doesn't work with an 7700 would be a really shitty one. Though if the GPU doesn't run at 3D clocks something is seriously wrong in your system and there is no point in discussing framerates of such a system.

Still, lowering resolution on medium settings was already the best option to improve framrate on Unity 4 without loosing all graphical gimmicks.

After investigating some more, I don't think the PSU is the problem (it shouldn't be a "shitty" one).

#72 genervt

genervt

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 13:53

Your GPU-RAM might be the bottleneck. I get 1,5 GB RAM usage in Friars Keep.

#73 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 15:36

hehe, the "glitching/stuttering bell" scene from the enclave in the beginning of book 2 (after you talked to all rebels) has been fixed also :P

#74 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 01 November 2015 - 13:26

I have been investigating some more about my GPU half-load and it appears Process Explorer was giving wrong information. MSI Afterburner indicated full load and is definitely more reliable. I managed to get a better framerate around 30 fps with the beta but I get about 10 frames more with U4, so it's a loss in performance on my system with U5 so far.

#75 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 November 2015 - 17:30

If your rig was conceived as a gaming machine, the 7700 doesn't really fit in. Since you own an immensely powerful CPU, the better load balancing of U5 won't have any effect on your system. What's left are the redone shaders, but afaik performance was not the primary target there. As others suggested, awesome mode, especially AntiAliasing might overflow your Vram. So even if the GPU would offer enough oomph for awesome mode on U5(which I doubt), it might be held back by its memory.
  • khh likes this

#76 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 17:57

Hey, don't mean to barge in here, but shouldn't a bug/testing oriented thread be at the Support forum and not "Announcements and News" Forum?

For all of those monitoring that forum for announcements from RTG, it would be quite annoying, I'd imagine.

#77 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 November 2015 - 18:49

This was an announcement, though. It was an announcement of the fact that the beta build was available. The same announcement as was posted on Steam.

And we've always had discussions in the comments of announcements like this, if that's what you're talking about. Same as with the Kickstarter update threads.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#78 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 November 2015 - 19:03

Yeah, I mean. Morten posted this here. And when I posted the KS update with similar information, I mused about leaving that open for general discussion and this one could be more about the specifics and technical stuff. And Morten liked the post. So I assumed it was okay.

If it is bothering people or if RTG wants things handled differently, we can. Reporting specific bugs should probably be done through the proper channels. But if people just want to discuss how the beta is going and the sort of stuff they're running into, I think that's fine?

But yeah...if it is a bother or an inconvenience, we can reconsider. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#79 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 01 November 2015 - 21:38

If your rig was conceived as a gaming machine, the 7700 doesn't really fit in. Since you own an immensely powerful CPU, the better load balancing of U5 won't have any effect on your system. What's left are the redone shaders, but afaik performance was not the primary target there. As others suggested, awesome mode, especially AntiAliasing might overflow your Vram. So even if the GPU would offer enough oomph for awesome mode on U5(which I doubt), it might be held back by its memory.

Thanks for your reply and explanation. My PC was not conceived as a gaming machine at all and it suits my needs otherwise. I only play DFC basically. What make the fps drop with my setup are SSAO and Shadow distance. Anti-aliasing has (almost) no effect. Anyway it does not really matter. I would even play DFC with 1 fps.

• NeilClaimer likes this

#80 linkgoron

linkgoron

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 21:40

How can I send you guys a crash report? Specifically, the game generated three files, "crash.dmp", "error.log" and "output_log.txt" files.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Beta version, Unity 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users