Photo

Unity 5 beta now available! BUT PLAYER BEWARE!

Announcement Beta version Unity 5

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#21 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:53

Um...sorry guys, I still don't really get how to backup my flags...I really wanna help getting rid of the bugs but I'm afraid to lose my progress xD can anybody help me?

Press windows key + R

type %appdata%

You'll be taken to the config folder where windows stores your local data,

open the redthreadgames/dreamfallchapters folder there 

Just archive everything in there, the dir autosave and the *.data files.

#22 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:59

Press windows key + R

type %appdata%

You'll be taken to the config folder where windows stores your local data,

open the redthreadgames/dreamfallchapters folder there 
Just archive everything in there, the dir autosave and the *.data files.

In Windows 10 %appdata% takes you to the Roaming folder (path "AppData\Roaming" in your user folder). Hence the ".." in Morten's OP, to go up one level and then enter the LocalLow folder.

#23 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1565 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 29 October 2015 - 17:01

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\LocalLow\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters

Copy [StoryFlags.data] and paste in place.

StoryFlags.data -> StoryFlags - Copy.data which you can then rename and rename back later.

#24 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 17:20

In Windows 10 %appdata% takes you to the Roaming folder (path "AppData\Roaming" in your user folder). Hence the ".." in Morten's OP, to go up one level and then enter the LocalLow folder.

Ok, so now I was oficially confused. And I remember that they started saving data in a new folder, so sorry about the misinformation. I guess 

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\LocalLow\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters is the correct folder for me (windows 10)

I guess it's safe to backup this and remove the other folder that I have in "roaming" :)

• ShadowNate likes this

#25 Jennifer

Jennifer

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 17:36

Awesome news. I'm on my laptop now, so I don't have the room to download it to try it, but as soon as I can get onto my desktop computer I'll give it a go. :)

#26 BurningDownWonderland

BurningDownWonderland

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 18:10

I've just finished downloading DFC beta. It seems to have quite some trouble right at the beginning, because it can't start. Am I alone with this problem?

#27 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 18:39

I backed up and removed the savegames from the "locallow/Red Thread Games" folder because I wanted to begin a new play branch for this beta. 

So it seems that this test build still reads data from the "roaming/redthreadgames" folder, because I was presented by a menu for starting chapter 2 rebels.

I removed the data in that (roaming) folder and started the game anew. It seems that the story flags in the correct (locallow) folder had been set according to the savegames found in the (roaming) folder. 

Is this intended functionality ? That it still will read from the roaming folder ?

I seem to have to merge the backups together if I want to reinstate the savegames, because the old (roaming) folder only contains savegames from book one. I guess this functionality was changed in book 2 ? (I don't quite remember). But the older "first version" savegames weren't moved to the new physical location.

Maybe this is something to be concerned about for steamcloud functionality. Does steamcloud remember files from the old and the new dir ?

#28 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 18:48

https://youtu.be/j3I...e=youtu.be&t=1s

#29 uchiro

uchiro

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationRussia, Novosibirsk

Posted 29 October 2015 - 19:11

I chose the right place for posting bugs?

http://redthreadgame.../2356-pink-gui/

#30 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 29 October 2015 - 19:14

Use the bug report tool. [CTRL+ B] or hit ESC and Report bug in the bottom right.

The bug report tool is is bugged tho ;)

Editing the text you type isnt easy.

#31 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 October 2015 - 19:34

Is this intended functionality ? That it still will read from the roaming folder ?

I seem to have to merge the backups together if I want to reinstate the savegames, because the old (roaming) folder only contains savegames from book one. I guess this functionality was changed in book 2 ? (I don't quite remember). But the older "first version" savegames weren't moved to the new physical location.

Maybe this is something to be concerned about for steamcloud functionality. Does steamcloud remember files from the old and the new dir ?

Yes, it's intended functionality. It's for compatibility reasons.

Yeah, that'd be the easiest thing to do. I manually merged the folders after the update had been rolled out, worked perfectly fine. Just make sure you keep the newest file when there are conflicts. You're right that it was with the release of Book Two that the savegame location was changed.

Well the saves would have been synced to Steam Cloud when they were created. And by default the steam cloud doesn't delete save games when it syncs, so it should all be correctly stored in the cloud. The only exception is if you had cloud syncing disabled when you played the initial Book One, and then later enabled it. Then those old saves wouldn't be backed up.

I chose the right place for posting bugs?

http://redthreadgame.../2356-pink-gui/

If you don't want to use the bug report tool included in this build of the game, then yes that's the right place.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#32 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 19:35

Probably the easiest way to make sure you don't screw up your save data would be to just create a new temporary user account in Windows, since it's stored under each user's individual user folders.

Then, when the beta is over, you can just delete user account and everything is as it was.

Of course, that only works if you don't intend on keeping the new saves.  If you want to keep them, then backing up and restoring is the only way right now.

#33 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2015 - 19:36

Two quick questions:

1. Can anyone tell me where the choices/savegames files are on Linux?
  2. Do these files get synced with the Steam cloud?

The answer to the second question may explain why I can't find the files where I expected to on my laptop...

#34 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 19:37

I'm not sure where they're stored on Linux, but I think the beta was for Windows only anyway...

#35 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 October 2015 - 19:42

Two quick questions:

1. Can anyone tell me where the choices/savegames files are on Linux?
  2. Do these files get synced with the Steam cloud?

The answer to the second question may explain why I can't find the files where I expected to on my laptop...

Save data should be located in the ~/.config/unity3d/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters/ folder on Linux.

They should get automatically synced if you're using the Steam Cloud, yes.

However as magic88889 pointed out the beta is only for Windows x64 (at least for now, though they said they didn't have any plans to release additional builds).

April Ryan is my friend,

#36 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 29 October 2015 - 20:03

Do we have to do anything else to do the beta? I went to subscribe to Betas and it asked me for a passcode.

Edit: Oh, nm, it updated and said beta.  I copied over my story decisions.  Let's take a look.  (runs Zoe into all the walls over and over and going "exploring!"  Beta testing...wheeee

#37 uchiro

uchiro

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationRussia, Novosibirsk

Posted 29 October 2015 - 20:08

If you don't want to use the bug report tool included in this build of the game, then yes that's the right place.

I can't use bug tool. Full screen is pink.

#38 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 October 2015 - 20:10

Do we have to do anything else to do the beta? I went to subscribe to Betas and it asked me for a passcode.

There was some discussion about this earlier. It appears it may work even if you don't enter a passcode. Maybe?

Ah, I see the confusion. That field is there to unlock hidden betas. When you choose beta - 3.2.0 from the drop down menu, it should say "Successfully opted into the 'beta' content beta." below that field. That's how you know it's working.

I can't use bug tool. Full screen is pink.

Hmm. That sounds like your download may have become corrupted. Maybe you should try verifying your game cache.

Right click on the game in your Steam library, right click on Dreamfall Chapters and select properties, go to the Local Files tab, and hit the Verify Integrity of Game Cache button.

• NeilClaimer likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#39 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 20:12

Maybe it's good to check for corrupted files using steam > library > dfc game, rightclick > properties >local files, > check integrity.Normally it will redownload corrupted files. Personally I didn't encounter this problem but it's worth a try.

#40 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2015 - 20:16

However as magic88889 pointed out the beta is only for Windows x64 (at least for now, though they said they didn't have any plans to release additional builds).

OK, then is it a bug that I have 'beta - 3.2.0' available as an option in the Linux Steam client?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Beta version, Unity 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users