Photo

Unity 5 beta now available! BUT PLAYER BEWARE!

Announcement Beta version Unity 5

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:00

We just uploaded the first Windows 64-bit Unity 5 beta version (3.2.0) to the Steam beta branch. Read on for instructions about how to install this beta. 
(Follow this link to go to the official Steam announcement page)

WARNING: This is a BETA version, and the 'b' in beta stands for BUGS! (As in, they will occur.) 

So unless a. you're downloading the beta to actively test and submit bugs, or b. you've had performance issues in the past and want to check if this version improves things, we do NOT recommend playing the beta. 

In addition, replaying earlier episodes will overwrite your 'story flags' (the choices you've made in the game). These flags can be easily changed back by loading a saved game (containing all your earlier decisions) but we still recommend backing up your flags and settings by making a security copy of this folder (copy and paste into explorer address bar to access folder): 

%appdata%\..\LocalLow\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters 

Consider yourselves properly and officially warned. 

Still with us? Great! 

To install the beta, right click 'Dreamfall Chapters' in your Steam library, and select 'Properties'. Click the 'BETAS' tab, and select the latest beta (v3.2.0) from the dropdown menu. Close the properties window. The client should begin downloading. If it doesn't, try closing and restarting your Steam app. 

Major changes: 

• The game engine has been upgraded from Unity 4.6 to 5.2. This is a MAJOR update with far-reaching consequences (!), including new lighting, shaders, effects and performance optimisations 
  • In-game bug report tool: press CTRL+B to report a bug, or press ESC to pause the game and select the 'Report bug' option. A screenshot will be attached to your bug report, along with some game and system information 
  • 64-bit Windows version, with better memory handling (and probably fewer crashes) 
  • New notification effect for important choices and consequences

Known issues: 

• This beta is Windows 64-bit only. If you’re using a 32-bit version of Windows or a Mac/Linux OS, you will not be able to download and play the beta (and you might want to consider upgrading to a 64-bit OS) 
  • In multiple locations, the lighting has not been tweaked for the new lighting system, and things might appear too dark or too bright. Please report bugs with lighting, but be aware that we’re working on this 
  • Some characters may appear shiny/metallic or too dark/bright. We’re working on the character lighting, shaders and materials 
  • Flickering shadows in some locations. If you see flickering shadows, let us know: you can usually fix the problem by pausing and un-pausing the game 
  • There are bugs with collision — e.g. Kian is able to get into the National Front rally by pushing past the barrel near the entrance. If you’re able to pass through scenery or get to places you’re not supposed to get to, please report it 
  • We’ve had a few reports of broken pathfinding. If a non-player character gets stuck or vanishes completely, please let us know. You can usually fix this by reloading a previous save game 
  • During cinematic cut-scenes, the audio and animations may be out of sync. We’re working on this, but please report any major issues with cut-scenes. 
  • In general, the frame-rate should be improved from previous versions of the game. However, the performance in some locations may be slower than expected. Please let us know if you experience major performance issues

How to report bugs: 

• The best way to report a bug is to use the in-game bug report tool. Press CTRL+B to report a bug, or pause the game by pressing ESC and select the ‘Report bug’ option from the menu. This will open a text box where you can describe your issue. Please include any relevant details. After entering a description, click submit and the game will send us a bug report, together with an automatically attached screenshot. We also automatically attach the output log from the game, along with some system information (hardware/OS specs). This information will only be used to track down and fix bugs, and we delete the information afterwards 
  • If you don’t want to automatically submit a bug, you can visit our beta forum by following this link, to post a bug report: http://redthreadgame...edback-reports/

Please report any bugs you encounter, including: 

• Pink stuff! Pink stuff usually means missing materials — and if you don’t know what that is, don’t worry! If you see large pink surfaces where there shouldn’t be large pink surfaces, let us know 
  • Major drops in performance. If your frame-rate averages 30 frames or above in larger location, and suddenly drops to 20s or below in a smaller location, there's something wrong. Let us know! 
  • Collision! If you are able to pass through walls, scale furniture, get outside or above the world — let us know! 
  • Ugly/inappropriate lighting on characters and scenery: the lighting system is the single biggest change from Unity 4.6 to 5.2, and we need help catching all the bugs!

Thanks for helping us out with this major update, and we apologise again for the production delays this has caused. We expect the beta phase to run about a week before we finalise the release version, though this naturally depends on the number of bugs and our squashing of said bugs.

• agirlnamedbob, Jana, khh and 9 others like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#2 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:03

Too bad I'm on the GOG side of things
Wheels are turning! That's always good news :) Keep it up! And let the screenshots come :D
  • Riaise likes this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#3 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:06

Awesome! I think that beta release will help you Guys to speed-up bugs fixing in Unity 5 port.

1/3 progress for release of Book Four ;)

• Clairobscur likes this

#4 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:23

@Morten/Martin

Will there be a 32-bit version of Unity 5 port or only 64-bit? Beta is only 64-bit.

#5 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:29

@Morten/Martin

Will there be a 32-bit version of Unity 5 port or only 64-bit? Beta is only 64-bit.

Yes. The official release will contain both 32- and 64-bit versions. The beta version will only be available as 64-bit (at least until we decide otherwise, which we currently have no plans of doing).

• Pawlo_86 likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#6 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:44

Looks like steam has already downloaded and installed it for me lol

I'll make a new profile for the beta and give it a go from scratch.

#7 Martin

Martin

RTG Designer

• RTG Staff
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:45

And please be very specific and detailed when sending us feedback. The more info we have, the easier it will be for us to reproduce the bug :)

Thanks!

• DiskJunky likes this
:cannon:  Cannon stroker   :cannon:
        :crow:  OrNOThologist   :crow:

#8 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:46

Looks good in a brief run around Propast.  Will dig for bugs later but FPS jumped considerably.  Worst spots in Propast used to be 20ish FPS, now 35 is about the basement, and lots of 50-65 fps (AMD Phenom II 965/Radeon 7970).  That's with max visual settings/shadow distance/etc @ 1920x1080 but bloom turned off (I hate bloom)

• khh, Indrid Cold, Mr_Russ and 3 others like this

#9 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 29 October 2015 - 15:49

but we still recommend backing up your flags and settings by making a security copy of this folder

​This may be slightly easier - you can copy and paste in place.

StoryFlags.data -> StoryFlags - Copy.data which you can then rename and rename back later.

In my case, StoryFlags.data -> StoryFlags - Copy.data -> StoryFlags.data3

• Morten and debro like this

#10 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:01

@Morten, how big is the download?

#11 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:10

I really like the in-game debug tool idea.

#12 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:13

Looks good in a brief run around Propast.

What about Marcuria?

#13 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:17

What about Marcuria?

I'll see after work - did Propast during my lunch break

#14 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:17

I normally avoid Steam like the plague. However, since this is such a big update/upgrade, I decided to contribute what I can.

I've added DFC to my Steam Library. However, when I try to download the Beta version, I'm getting prompted to input a Beta Licence Code. Anyone know what I need to do?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#15 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:18

@Morten, how big is the download?

Steam says about 4.2 GB for me (with Dreamfall Chapters already installed; don't know if that makes a difference)

I've added DFC to my Steam Library. However, when I try to download the Beta version, I'm getting prompted to input a Beta Licence Code. Anyone know what I need to do?

I don't think you need to input anything there. I haven't - I just selected to "opt-in" for 3.2.0 from the dropdown and the beta download was added to my "downloads" section of the library. I then went to the Downloads section and hit the button with the arrow to "queue" the download (alternatively I guess you can restart Steam)
  • Mr_Russ likes this

#16 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:21

even the bug report feature is buggy. I've sent a report where I saw some extreme "bloomy reflective texcture" near uminska HQ in propast, but I was interrrupted, needed to alt tab out, , came back in, and I couldn't change the description anymore (the mouse cursor won't refocus on the tex field). Even when I would submit it, than come back , there'll be an unaccessible description field :)

Great :)

#17 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:21

I normally avoid Steam like the plague. However, since this is such a big update/upgrade, I decided to contribute what I can.

Ignore the Beta License prompt, you still have the button to start the d/l

#18 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:37

So I did a quick tour of propast 14 days ago and recorded it with afterburner diagnostics, called dfc_propast_before I just ran from nela (at seshadri towers) off the stairs with the wati logo, down the bricks, on the memorial , inside the souk.

Unity 4 graphic: (captured 2 weeks ago)

post-301-0-33007800-1446132823.jpg

Unity 5 graphic:

post-301-0-37293400-1446132839.jpg

I did the same today and you can see how performance doubled for me. It's even noticable how u5 does a better job of frustrum culling. Because near the end (where the fps goes up to 90+) I am reporting a reflection bug to the team. This is is taken inside the souk near the uminska HQ. and I'm aiming at the wall there, 

So for this we can say "huge success". Ofcourse sometimes there's visual glitches and stutters but I think I can do a better job reporting them ingame. But I wanted to put this graph here to proove that on pc's like mine (with an older cpu, and a new ish graphics card, this upgrade really matters!)

I'm gonna put this in the topic I created also.

Attached Files

• Edreamer Jamil, Pawlo_86 and Tomer like this

#19 BurningDownWonderland

BurningDownWonderland

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:47

"In addition, replaying earlier episodes will overwrite your 'story flags' (the choices you've made in the game). These flags can be easily changed back by loading a saved game (containing all your earlier decisions) but we still recommend backing up your flags and settings by making a security copy of this folder (copy and paste into explorer address bar to access folder): 

%appdata%\..\LocalLow\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters ."

Um...sorry guys, I still don't really get how to backup my flags...I really wanna help getting rid of the bugs but I'm afraid to lose my progress xD can anybody help me?

#20 BurningDownWonderland

BurningDownWonderland

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:48

Looks like steam has already downloaded and installed it for me lol

I'll make a new profile for the beta and give it a go from scratch.

How can I make a new profile without losing my progress? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Beta version, Unity 5

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users