#1 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 27 April 2014 - 21:28

Any chance of these appearing? The game is still good model wise but better textures would be welcome. I've done some googling and the general gist is that there isn't enough demand. I beg to differ! :) I'd pay for a texture pack!

• Abbe likes this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#2 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1839 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 27 April 2014 - 22:33

Slim to none I would say.

The only way I can see it happening, is if DFC sells really really well, and funcom think they can make money from renewed interest in part one of the game, and decide to update the textures abit.
  • khh likes this

#3 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:38

Always the pessimist :)

Guess you're right, there's not enough info to speculate they'll be willing to create a pack :P

J/K m8

• Lee-m likes this

#4 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1624 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 28 April 2014 - 14:59

Also, well I'm sure you know but Funcom hold the rights and call the shots regarding any graphical update to Dreamfall;

Unless you wanted to simply open a discussion amongst fans, here isn't the place to ask - You'd need to write to Funcom

#5 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 15:04

Good to know guys. Shame Funcom are just sitting on it but that seems to be the M.O. for a lot of game companies/publishers these days. Just sit on the IP :(

• Iqru likes this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#6 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1839 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 15:13

Good to know guys. Shame Funcom are just sitting on it but that seems to be the M.O. for a lot of game companies/publishers these days. Just sit on the IP :(

In funcoms defense they are doing something with the IP, they have licensed it to RTG to make DFC, didn't you notice that ?
They have been a hell of a lot more reasonable than the likes of EA or Microsoft have been.

Its also unfair to expect continuing support and updates for a game made way back in 2006, and has had its sales life.

#7 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 15:24

Fair points I suppose. Maybe I'm expecting too much

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 April 2014 - 15:30

Yeah, there won't be a high-res texture pack unless it's fan-made, and I simply don't think that's likely to happen.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#9 tomimt

tomimt

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 18:30

You know, I'd be willing to lend a hand in a fan retexture project for Dreamfall. Hell, I'd be willing to re-model characters for the The Longest Journey as well.

• wandrew, WorldsReunited, DiskJunky and 1 other like this

#10 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 21:30

Good to know :) Next step is figuring out how to get started I guess

#11 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1839 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:31

First thing would be to spend a long time figuring out and writing a program to unpack and repack all the textures and models from the data files in dreamfall.
That might actually violate the terms and agreements. You'd have to check to see if it says, don't alter or modify this game in anyway etc...

#12 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:59

There's a thread on modding on the old forum, and I think it covers importing textures.

I also tried to collect all the various TLJ/DF utilities into one place on the wiki.

There's even a tutorial vid by our very own Quna!
  • WorldsReunited and DiskJunky like this

#13 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 June 2014 - 18:00

Also check out grumbel's DFToolBox. It's got pretty much all the functionality you need and is open source.

• DiskJunky likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#14 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1839 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 19:30

Also check out grumbel's DFToolBox. It's got pretty much all the functionality you need and is open source.

thats about 60% of the work done for you right there lol

I forgot all about the mods and tools. Was a long time ago. Seem to work great with the steam version of the game too.

#15 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:45

Someone should definitely do an HD mod of Dreamfall. We're all for it!

• wandrew, Edreamer Jamil, Nilaii and 3 others like this

#16 tomimt

tomimt

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:19

I have to give those tools a little spin, to see what kind of damage I can do with them.

• wandrew, khh and DiskJunky like this

#17 tomimt

tomimt

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:35

Ah blasted, I don't have my Dreamfall disks, so I couldn't take a look at them, but I did manage to take a small glance on The Longest Journey files. Now if I'd only find tools to actually import/export .ICO 3D files in some format that I could actually tinker with.

By the way, did anyone know that there's an actual interface for the FACT machine in the halway outiside April's room. There's even some dialogue recorded for it. At least I don't remember ever been able to use it beyond trying to talk to it and the machine replaying that it doesn't have an installed voice command functionality.

#18 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:58

There's a work-around you can use to view the fact and do a few other things detailed here.

No one ever got to packaging it all up in a mod to be accessed as in-game content, though.

Not sure why it got cut from the game. Ragnar?

#19 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 14:13

Someone should definitely get paid for doing an HD mod of Dreamfall. 

I'd pay

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#20 tomimt

tomimt

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 19:28

OKay, I finally got myself a good exuse to get myself a digital copy of Dreamfall to replace my crappy DRM ridden disc version (which once caused me to re-install Win7) to see if the tools work. And lo and behold, it is entirely possible to re-texture Dreamfall with the tools in DFtoolBox. I've been experimenting wit the monestary scene from the beginning of the game and the process should be farily simple:

1. Export the DDS texture files from the game

2. Import DDS files in the editor of your choice, like Photoshop or Gimp. For Photoshop these Nvidia tools work nicely, and should work with AMD cards as well: https://developer.nv...adobe-photoshop
3. Modify the texture and save with the exactly same name

4. Get the texture back in the game. I did it by creating an additional mod, that can be installed with the mod tool in the DFToolBox.

I replaced a couple of textures and it seems to work pretty well. I basically doubled the texture depth from 512 to 1024, but I don't think there should be any problems in using larger texures. While the process itself is fairly simple, it would be pretty labour intensive, as there's a lot of textures in the game. It should be doable though.

• DiskJunky likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users