#1 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:45

Let's talk about the new art and taglines for Book Four - Revelations!

Here are those bits of art -- first the light face:

Attached File  12010627_880529672028478_6452378946213954437_o.jpg   26.44KB   16 downloads

Which has the taglines:

"Light came, worlds were born and the One became Three." (Facebook)
"...and the stars were born and everything came apart." (Twitter)

And now the dark face:

Attached File  12068770_880529485361830_9045555519486156691_o.jpg   25.15KB   13 downloads

"Older than time. Older than memory. Old as darkness." (Facebook)
​"...in the darkness, in the time before time, before all this terrible brightness." (Twitter)

So what do we make of all that?

Folks have pointed out (in the "What RTG has been up to" thread), that the light face is probably Lux, and the dark face is probably a counterpart - which could be Baba Yaga, or a personification of the Undreaming (V and others have nicknamed it "Nox").

But the first thing I'd like to dive into is that first Facebook tagline for the light face -- "Light came, worlds were born and the One became Three." The phrasing reminds me of Vestrum Tobias' speech during the Murals of the Balance speech in TLJ. To wit:

"One world was to become two, separated by the Balance and each would be visible to the other only by way of dreams. (...) Encircled by the Twelve and the One and the one who would be Guardian, the disc at the base of the tower began to spin faster and faster as more and more power flowed through it... until it was a blur."

But I'm pretty sure that "the One" and "Three" aren't quite the same thing as what's referred to in that speech. My initial guess is that it's something to do with reality as a whole -- that in the beginning (to coin a phrase), "the One" was darkness, and void. And then there was light -- maybe the coming of physical reality? And then the third part of "the Three" is the Storytime?

What do folks think about that? Or about anything else hidden away in those pictures or taglines? And what revelations do you want to see in Revelations?

(Edited: I originally called the images "concept art," and they aren't. Sorry!)
  • agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen, Indrid Cold and 3 others like this

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:29

Thanks for making this thread. I was lazy. :P

I'm like 99.99999999% sure that the light picture is of Lux. I've been (sloooowly) working on some fan art, so I have spent a long time looking at Lux's facial markings and those match. 

The one became three thing did make me think of the worlds splitting, but that didn't fully  add up (literally). But then I was thinking it could be Stark + Arcadia + Storytime. Though your idea might make more sense. From the void came the "real" world and the world of dreams. But the void still exists...since that seems to be what the HoAW is floating around in. 

I was originally working under the assumption that Baba Yaga, being a "child of the first dreams/formerly powerful goddess" figure was one of the first things dreamed into being by Lux. But now it seems more like Lux and "Nox" are complementary figures. (Also going to refer to Nox as such from here on out.) So if Nox is Baba Yaga, then one would think they would both be children of the first dreams. And that could make what we've been speculating about as far as Lux and the nature of the entire universe a bit more complicated.

Or maybe Nox is someone completely different and Baba Yaga is more associated with them. It seems relevant that the Steam Card specifically mentions her waiting in the dark. I know we were speculating that Baba Yaga was the Azadi Goddess, but...given these developments, I'm wondering if that's not the case. At least if Baba Yaga is / is associated with Nox. It seems relevant that the Azadi seem to be associated with the rise of civilization with all of their technology and whatnot...but Baba's card says she's cursing the rise of civilization. So maybe she's a figure opposed to the Azadi Goddess? After all, the Azadi refer to her with all kinds of light related talk, and then refer to Shadow as opposed to like...hell. 

Also relevant that Light / Dark provides us with yet another Balance theme, which is important to the series. 

Ngg...I think I need to sleep on this and mull it over a bit more. My mind is racing in about 15 different directions right now and I'm having trouble pulling it together. I am STOKED for Book Four, though. Like...I didn't think I could get more excited, but here I am. (THAT ART, THO. HOLY CRAP. :wub: )

• Vainamoinen, Ringtail, Indrid Cold and 5 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:42

I agree that the light/dark duality in the art here -- and the introduction of an opposite number to Lux -- is intentionally mirrored in the Azadi religious "Light and Shadow" imagery that's been introduced in Chapters. But I don't yet get how that kind of duality results in "One" becoming "Three."

The thing I'm noodling with right now is whether the four taglines can be arranged in a way that they make sense as two coherent sentences.

• agirlnamedbob, Vainamoinen and Indrid Cold like this

#4 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:55

I actually just realized that they posted different taglines on different Facebook pages. The ones you posted were from the RTG Facebook page. The Dreamfall Chapters page has the full versions of the Twitter ones. So the full wording with the pictures would be as follows: 

Lux:

We were there when the First Dream was dreamed and the stars were born and everything came apart.

Light came, worlds were born and the One became Three.

Nox: 

We were there in the darkness, in the time before time, before all this terrible brightness.

Older than time. Older than memory. Old as darkness.

• Tina, Vainamoinen, khh and 4 others like this

#5 Kianismybae

Kianismybae

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLeón, Spain

Posted 30 September 2015 - 13:06

What about Lux and Nox  werw the same person?   Something like  Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hide.  The  One become Three line  can be the split of the worlds or  another character like  Lux and Nox  that we don't know yet.  What do you think guys?? :)

• agirlnamedbob and Vainamoinen like this

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 13:16

If Lux is one and Nox is two, but we need a split in three, then I would assume that three is Zoë or very closely connected to Zoë. 

Darkness and light, good and evil are concepts that are 100% bilateral. That may not be what we're searching for here, we're searching for a trinity. Putting 'Nox' into the realm of evil could be a natural, but incorrect impulse.

Glowing eyes, strange forehead markings, lives in eternal wintry night... hmmmm.

3946b19d566a984d99648618259da026_vaganox

Close, but no banana.

All total shots in the nox right now. More waste of that ammo later. :)

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Ringtail and 2 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#7 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 13:26

I don't think any of the three in "one became three" could be Stark or Arcadia, as it sounds like we're talking about the creation of the world and that obviously (to anyone who's familiar with TLJ) predates Stark and Arcadia.

Perhaps it means (similarly to what Ringtail said) that there was only one facet of reality (call it Void or whatever) but then there were three: the original one, the physical reality and... something else? Perhaps the Storytime could be the last one: Not physical, but not a void either.

• agirlnamedbob and Ringtail like this

#8 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 13:27

Thanks, Erika! Those full quotes are super-interesting!

We were there when the First Dream was dreamed and the stars were born and everything came apart.
Light came, worlds were born and the One became Three.

"And the stars were born and everything came apart" -- that sounds like the Big Bang to me, and I like that a LOT. It says to me that in the TLJ universe, a scientific start to the universe is paired with a religious/magical one. And I dig that!

(PS - somebody get wandrew in here! This is right up his Manichean alley!)
  • Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, khh and 2 others like this

#9 Kianismybae

Kianismybae

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLeón, Spain

Posted 30 September 2015 - 13:57

I remind of a characters con charmed Who era beyond hood and evil and they want reach the eternal peace un the world it was calles the avatars . Maybe existe other child lime Lux and Nox

#10 Kianismybae

Kianismybae

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLeón, Spain

Posted 30 September 2015 - 13:58

Lol auto correction os trolling me. Well when i'm at tome I post it correctly
  • Indrid Cold and Bruno like this

#11 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 13:59

There's a (real) philosophical question that goes something like this: What if the world was created 5 minutes ago, and the only reason we remember things from before that is that the creator put the memories in our heads?

I suppose it's not impossible that the "three" are Storytime, Stark and Arcadia, and the Draic Kin think they created the last two because that's the memories they were given.

• agirlnamedbob, CosmicD and Abnoxious like this

#12 Kianismybae

Kianismybae

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLeón, Spain

Posted 30 September 2015 - 14:18

I must say that the Vagabond eyes are more like lux eyes than Nox eyes. And the correction is here. I was saying that in Charmed there was a characters called the Avatars who are beyond good and evil and they only search rhe eternal peace in the world and if they need destroy good or evil they do in order to keep the peace. And maybe exist a third child. Sorry for the previous messages my phone is stupid and I'm spanish so my english is poor
  • agirlnamedbob and Abnoxious like this

#13 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 15:14

Kianismybae and V - good insights on the Vagabond, and his similarities/dissimilarities to Lux and Nox. That suggests to me that he (and by extension, the Storytime) may be the halfway point between light and dark in a "trinity" structure. Which I guess makes sense, in TLJ's construct, where dreams are mediators for reality.
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

#14 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 15:17

Okay. Something I've been thinking about. 

We know that Ragnar was inspired by Aboriginal Australian mythology for the Dreamer Cycle, yeah? 

Okay. Well in the Aboriginal creation  myth, there are essentially three worlds.

image007.jpg

So my morning is going to be spent refreshing my knowledge of the Dreamtime / Dreaming mythos. 

• Vainamoinen, khh, Ringtail and 1 other like this

#15 Shitbot

Shitbot

Fringe Café Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 16:31

This Lux/Nox duality is pretty cool and starting to feel like the good old TLJ/Dreamfall again, before the... ahem, the super-cool and mega-necessary change of tone in DC set in. Is Nox the official name of the Undreaming, or is it a fan nickname?

#16 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 16:35

This Lux/Nox duality is pretty cool and starting to feel like the good old TLJ/Dreamfall again, before the... ahem, the super-cool and mega-necessary change of tone in DC set in. Is Nox the official name of the Undreaming, or is it a fan nickname?

It's a fan nickname for whomever/whatever is shown in the "dark" picture you can see above. No official name has been given and we don't know if it's the same thing as the Undreaming.

#17 Kianismybae

Kianismybae

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLeón, Spain

Posted 30 September 2015 - 16:35

I think its a fan nickname but I hope they call Nox this character

#18 Kianismybae

Kianismybae

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLeón, Spain

Posted 30 September 2015 - 18:11

If Lux is one and Nox is two, but we need a split in three, then I would assume that three is Zoë or very closely connected to Zoë.

Darkness and light, good and evil are concepts that are 100% bilateral. That may not be what we're searching for here, we're searching for a trinity. Putting 'Nox' into the realm of evil could be a natural, but incorrect impulse.

Glowing eyes, strange forehead markings, lives in eternal wintry night... hmmmm.

3946b19d566a984d99648618259da026_vaganox

Close, but no banana.

All total shots in the nox right now. More waste of that ammo later. :)

The vagabond eyes are blue like Lux and his iris are like Nox. What can be this man?
  • Vainamoinen likes this

#19 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 18:12

Yeah, the whole Nox thing is just us coming up with a better shorthand for the figure in that photo. (Though if it ends up being accurate, I feel like V and I get joint credit. ;) Kidding. )

Anyone have any theories for how this book is going to tie back into TLJ, since Ragnar mentioned that on Twitter? Personally, I'm really thinking that the creation mythos with Lux (and Nox) is going to answer some questions about the HoAW. And possibly Saga, at that point. 

I'm mostly saying that because the Dreamtime of myth being, in the words of Wikipedia, a "time out of time" or "everywhen." 

• Vainamoinen likes this

#20 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 18:41

Though if it ends up being accurate, I feel like V and I get joint credit.

If you were first, why should I? :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Book Four, concept art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users