#101 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:26

Wow. long post...

How do you explain the driac kin saying she can't do it on her own?

#102 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:55

There's actually an easier explanation to the entire thing, possibly.

The April Ryan in the first game has hope, she's positive and she's making new friends and is in art school.  She's finding a new place to call home. 

She didn't shift home originally because she had seen her friends attacked and was afraid to return home, over time she just lost the ability.  I think that's the explanation the wiki gets. 

Whether or not you consider psychic abilities fictitious I think they are similar to what April experiences and they are said to work the same way. 
Many people who lose the natural ability of being able to "know and see things" do so because as children their talent was dismissed, this talent could have been as simple as being the one person in the family who can always find lost items, or knowing when the phone would ring, and maybe even who the caller was. Many parents and teachers dismiss these things and so a child begins to keep these happenings to themselves.

Over time, the ability to see and or feel these psychic things disappears. Because we stop using the sixth-sense, our brains begin to forget it, and moves on to learning new things. This fits more with the theory that we are all born with a psychic ability and even though we may lose the prowess to use it, we can develop our senses with practice.

When you want enhance your sixth-sense, it is believed that this can be done with the practice of discipline and meditation. Once you are able to attain a state where you can reach your subconscious while in a meditative frame of mind, you will have the ability to reach your sixth-sense and know that you can become a psychic.

This enhancement is not something that happens over night, developing, refining, and strengthening any psychic ability takes practice, hard work, perseverance, concentration, and plenty of patience. The most familiar psychic power used and learned first is intuition.

I think that April Ryan without any real home, home to her is both literal and symbolic and that she having no real home, has to feel at home to find a real home. Because she doesn't really have any place to call home.  I think that when she got to Stark she was already working towards the balance of the balance just by being there. Stark naturally being very technologically advanced she shifted to Arcadia , simply because it was her destiny, fate, written in the stars, in her DNA , and everything in her life followed her to Stark her dark past and all of her struggles.  Charlie and Emma made her feel at home but we saw the scale of things in the Longest Journey and Dreamfall, it was fate that April's home in Venice would one day decay and become a ghetto, it was fate that she would bring trouble to Stark. It was fate that she would be adopted so that she could "understand". 

I think that it's the same reason why she can't do it alone, because she doesn't yet "understand" why she could shift because she's ended up not believing in her self again , she says that she felt important for a while but now again feels her existence is without meaning or purpose.  Some one without any faith in their self isn't aware of their fate or destiny a lot of the time.  I think it's the awareness of her destiny that gives her the awareness and understanding to shift.  I think Kian to her became part of her fate and destiny , and Kian to her became  like a sort of mirror to her before she shifted making her not only aware of her self but that her journey was all for a reason, purpose and that everything that happened and everyone she met was part of the prophecy part of fate.

She doesn't believe in the prophecy, destiny, doesn't believes she's any good, yet the woman is remarkable she has went through hell, as a young girl she was abused by her father and couldn't walk and then over came that in just a short of amount of time. 

I guess the reason for all those hardships is because to be a prophet to be chosen is a difficult journey and she had to prepare herself for an extremely difficult journey and believe in her self at the same time, so that she could journey inward and find her fate, find her destiny and find her home.

Her thoughts about herself are gloom, dark, depressing, because she's over come obstacles but still never seems to feel good enough is always trying to prove her worth instead of just accepting her worth.  When she starts to take initiative of her own and be her own person she moves out of the house , goes to boarding school. But who she is , is written in prophecy and fate, she isn't just an art student that travels to Stark. For whatever reason she has to "understand" who she is , that is why they allowed her to be adopted to begin with.  Clearly in my opinion now that April understands , or is beginning to understand she is saved once again and can shift once again.  I guess what we're suppose to understand is that home is a place inside of April Ryan and that she can go there any time she wants. :)

In the case of the longest journey it's a very emotional, spiritual journey. I would say that her ability is inspired through a subconscious desire to reach home and that her subconscious desire drives her on , like the forces of fate, in the background. I think that the reason she can't shift with alone is because she has to face her fear of loosing other people or having never known a love before that can stay .  The longest journey isn't just about the distance traveled or prophecy or fate, destiny, it's about all of that and more, it's also about April's inner struggle and her own demons that she is working against. 

In a way she abandoned Charlie and Emma by fate just as she originally felt abandoned, when she could go home she was too afraid to go home even when she had the chance. I assume that the prophecy knew she wouldn't go home, because it was fate that she met Kian and fate that she met Zoe by not going home.  I feel that she is some what forced to see the prophecy through that it must happen, because it's her purpose and no matter how difficult our paths are I feel that we always get a chance to live our purpose. 

I think that the fear to go home gave her negative feelings, took away her faith. She again had no place to call home and she didn't want to endanger others, I think Kian is different, he's not weak, he's strong and can take care of himself, much like April Ryan who is a strong woman.  It's not that she couldn't so much do it alone, I think again it's all about her destiny and the prophecy.  I think that she can do it alone that she just couldn't shift alone at that time, that's why Zoe had to save April Ryan.  I think she had a lot of negative feelings and thoughts that were clouding her abilities. I think everything happened for a reason in the series. She had to meet Kian and loose her abilities to meet Kian, then she had to be saved by Zoe so that she could learn to shift again or have faith in her own prophecy.

Any psychic exercise needs calm and quiet, this means turning off the TV, and the phone and having the time and place where you can remove any negative thoughts and replace them with a clear mind that is more receptive to new information about your new ability.
This enhancement is not something that happens over night, developing, refining, and strengthening any psychic ability takes practice, hard work, perseverance, concentration, and plenty of patience. The most familiar psychic power used and learned first is intuition.

I think the reason she couldn't shift alone is purely psychological, whatever reason they give.

I think that she can only shift if she remains true to herself. that means true to her destiny, to the prophecy and betters herself until that prophecy has been seen all the way through. She is destined after all, fated after all to restore the balance.

#103 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 19:35

May I suggest you write things more briefly? This was one hell of a read for a notion that was already talked about in this thread :)

What you say doesn't explain why The white of the kin "doesn't know" why April can't shift, although she seems knowledgeable enough on April's ability.

"April: So I can Shift again now?

White of the Draich Kin: No. Not on your own. I don't know why. That's just the way it is."

Lee-m (Hi m8 :))says the white just doesn't understand human emotions enough.

I say this is a very poor way to solve this mystery, which seems to me as crucial to the story's unfolding.

We all understand that this is a game mechanic, meant to prevent April from having too much power, but that's not to say it wasn't integrated into the story.

This is where I got stuck on the discussion.

#104 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 15 May 2014 - 20:05

Lee-m (Hi m8 :))

hi !

says the white just doesn't understand human emotions enough.
I say this is a very poor way to solve this mystery, which seems to me as crucial to the story's unfolding.

I'll be honest, I haven't read a single post from yodagreen3 yet. They are just too long, and ramble on for me. So sorry, I dont have anything I can add. I am keeping an eye on the thread however.

#105 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 20:51

Yeah I had a feeling you were lurking in the shadows :P

#106 virumor

virumor

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 21:39

It's a mental block, which is usually resolved by a sudden life threatening or near death experience (same situation with Nynaeve in Wheel of Time saga). Like being stabbed in the gut with a spear.

I like to think after dropping in the water April subconsciously shifted right back into the Fringe Café.

• Em_TC likes this

#107 April_R.

April_R.

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationA lake

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:53

Well, by extension the Undreaming has hurt a lot of people in Arcadia, though the Azadi. I believe we're pretty certain the Azadi invasion is caused by the Prophet's involvement, and behind him, the Undreaming.

the azadi invasion may just have been opportunistic, the tyren having weakened themselves or spread themselves thin by taking marcuria, thereby upsetting the balance of power. the six seem to have been convinced that building the tower in marcuria will convert the world to azadism, but there's no independent evidence of this, and the prophet may just be using them in pursuit of his own unknown goals.

It's a mental block, which is usually resolved by a sudden life threatening or near death experience (same situation with Nynaeve in Wheel of Time saga). Like being stabbed in the gut with a spear.

I like to think after dropping in the water April subconsciously shifted right back into the Fringe Café.

i'm betting on the house of all worlds

sorry for the lack of caps; shift not working 

• wandrew and debro like this

#108 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 14:43

sorry for the lack of caps; shift not working 

clap clap clap clap  :sohappy:

• wandrew, Riaise and Bruno like this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#109 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 21 October 2014 - 15:12

Hahaha, took me a minute to get that. I'm an idiot. :P

#110 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 22:44

well, I guess it

Spoiler

#111 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:55

I think most people thought either the Fringe Cafe or the house of all worlds were the two most likely places she would shift to, but as far as I know nobody thought it would happen the way it did.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spoiler, shift, Dreamfall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users