Photo

Anti-Aliasing in TLJ (also regarding flickering) - Update (from old Forum)

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:15

I'd like to add that the dialogue options ran off of the screen in the DVD version in Windows 7 Home Basic both on my old and new (10-month-old) computer, but I first ran the GOG version not long ago and the dialogue options worked just fine. I didn't mess with the aspect ratio or resolution on either version or either computer, and now that I've read about the limitations to TLJ on Windows 10, I have to decide between TLJ menu/diary, and being able to make use of the second half of my 32 GB of system RAM, plus DX12... decisions, decisions. I'll stick with Windows 7 until I've finished playing through the entire series of TLJ, but at that point, I'll have a serious decision to make. I love TLJ to death, but I'm not going to dual-boot for any reason. I've done technical support over the phone for Windows in the past, and... yeah... I'm not going to do that. Hell, I'm not even going to bother to find out if dual-booting has stopped being a terrible idea.

#62 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 May 2016 - 17:02

I'd like to ...

I have been using dual and multiboot boot managers for the last 15 years. I can't imagine having a computer with only one OS (speaking only of myself). For me it is a simple setup, but I must admit, it took a steep learning curve and a lot of discovery when I switched from MBR to GPT. If you use your Windows Recovery Partition and the OEM Recovery Partition, then you should probably stay with your current arrangement. 

TLJ actually runs fine in Windows 10 and you should not have to adjust anything regardless of whether you us the DVD or GOG versions. The menu problem is that when the blue rectangular menu appears with the choice of "Yes" or "No", all you will see is a white rectangular box. When the white box appears, just enter "Y" of "Yes" or "N" for "No",.

• Indrid Cold likes this

#63 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:19

I have been using dual and multiboot boot managers for the last 15 years. I can't imagine having a computer with only one OS (speaking only of myself). For me it is a simple setup, but I must admit, it took a steep learning curve and a lot of discovery when I switched from MBR to GPT. If you use your Windows Recovery Partition and the OEM Recovery Partition, then you should probably stay with your current arrangement. 

TLJ actually runs fine in Windows 10 and you should not have to adjust anything regardless of whether you us the DVD or GOG versions. The menu problem is that when the blue rectangular menu appears with the choice of "Yes" or "No", all you will see is a white rectangular box. When the white box appears, just enter "Y" of "Yes" or "N" for "No",.

I did technical support over the phone for Microsoft for Windows 95 and later for Windows 98, and remember some serious horror stories that arose from dual boot situations. I'm willing to bet that the "issue" has been sussed out by now, but I'm still not going there.

I've heard through the grapevine that the diary is inaccessible in Windows 10. Is this true?

#64 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 27 May 2016 - 18:41

I did technical support over the phone for Microsoft for Windows 95 and later for Windows 98, and remember some serious horror stories that arose from dual boot situations. I'm willing to bet that the "issue" has been sussed out by now, but I'm still not going there.

I've heard through the grapevine that the diary is inaccessible in Windows 10. Is this true?

I just came back from opening the game in Windows 10 and, yes. it is available (at least in the DVD version).

When it came to dual booting Windows 9x and XP. The only issue I ever encountered was with the scripting managers. Windows 95, 98 and ME each has it's own requirements regarding the Boot.ini. When XP creates the NT boot manager in each 9x version, it also alters the Script Manger. If the script layout of the Boot.ini is altered for display or presentation purposes, it can create errors when certain apps are opened, or, it may prevent an app from being opened. When dual booting with 9x, the only script in the Boot.ini that can be altered is the description of each OS that lies within quotes. Win95 is most sensitive to altering the Boot.ini and WinXP allows the script to be altered just about anyway one likes for presentation perposes, provided the appropriate command lines are present.

Added note: When installing WinXP, do not place it in an extended partition. DOS allows 4 primary partitions or 3 primary portions and an extended partition. Unfortunately, FDISK will not create more than one primary partition, which means you must partition the hard drive using WinXP prior to mounting it, or, a third party disk utility. If you do install WinXP in an Extended partition, Win9x will always be drive "C" and WinXP will be some other drive letter such as "E" even when you have booted into WinXP.

#65 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 19:54

FYI, I am dual booting Win7 and Win10 (installed on the same HDD) and I have absolutely no problems.

• Kari2 likes this

#66 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 27 May 2016 - 20:06

I just came back from opening the game in Windows 10 and, yes. it is available (at least in the DVD version).

I've just checked and the diary also works fine in the GOG version on Windows 10.

• Kari2 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users