Photo

Anti-Aliasing in TLJ (also regarding flickering) - Update (from old Forum)

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 23:03

There doesn't seem to be any updates to the game, so it must be to the drivers.  I'm going to have to try this out myself. 

#42 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 23:05

AFAIR, it were the nvidia drivers that broke AA many years ago. If they fixed it after all this time, this would be a miracle :) (perhaps they did it by mistake, unknowingly)

#43 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 23:38

Probably by mistake.  I somehow doubt that somebody over there thought "let's fix that bug that screws up that one game released almost 20 years ago". :P

#44 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 23:50

More like "let's fix that bug that screws up this cult classic, one of the best games of all time, that people have been bitching about being broken for years" ;)

#45 Darktalon

Darktalon

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 00:40

GOG version seems to have been updated to run inside a special window by default and uses a configurator. I assume whatever changes they made to make it run like this also fixed antialiasing.

#46 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 27 April 2016 - 23:06

Probably by mistake.  I somehow doubt that somebody over there thought "let's fix that bug that screws up that one game released almost 20 years ago". :P

Not necessarily by mistake, there are validators for the DirectX implementation, because up to DX11 most of the work is done by the drivers so the drivers must conform to a very strict behaviour. It's possible that NVIDIA's drivers failed some tests but no one cared because pretty much every game from the last 10 years worked fine, but when they applied for the WHQL certification for Windows 10 they had to pass all the tests -- especially after the "day one" drivers fiasco.

• Mr Moo likes this

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#47 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:22

Can someone competent find out who fixed it? GoG, or nVidia? Because we seem to be getting contradictory information.

If I had the Steam version of TLJ I would run it, and this would answer the question but sadly I do not have it.

#48 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 15:26

Can someone competent find out who fixed it? GoG, or nVidia? Because we seem to be getting contradictory information.

If I had the Steam version of TLJ I would run it, and this would answer the question but sadly I do not have it.

Uh, I do have the Steam version, so lemme check.

Well, the game seems to run fine now, the backgrounds look pretty nice, and there seems to be no missing objects. Still no AA, well, not enough to hide the jagged edges everywhere, but going from 640x480 to 1920x1080 won't work well anyway, different aspect ratios and all that...

The buttons when you exit the game are still a no show, so there are still a few issues.

Edit: Still, no idea who fixed it. The Xbox integration overlay does show up when the game starts, so maybe Microsoft also fixed some things. And the DVR works fine and the screen caps work too. But they grab video and images at the game's original resolution.

#49 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 16:19

They do that, because the game always runs in 640x480.

Did you try forcing AA through nvidia inspector?

#50 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 17:01

They do that, because the game always runs in 640x480.

Did you try forcing AA through nvidia inspector?

It does work:

http://imgur.com/a/i9zNv

The photo on top is with AA on, the one on the bottom (where you see the mouse pointer over Charlie) is the default settings. Notice the difference on Charlie's back, right next to his left arm; also April's right arm.

The game doesn't look as blurry with AA on as it looks on the photo. I guess the autofocus got confused with April's face (the face detection thingy did lock on to her face).

So, I changed the settings for game.exe (because that's what the Steam veriosn of the executable is named) to:

AA - Mode : Override any application settings

AA - Setting: 32x [32x CSAA (8 color + 24 cv samples)]  --but pretty much any other setting works, just try them and pick the one you like best

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#51 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 17:59

The last time I tried to play TLJ with anything other than software rendering on, everything was horribly disfigured and freaked me out. I'm not sure if it was AA that did it but I'm not trying it again.

#52 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 00:22

The last time I tried to play TLJ with anything other than software rendering on, everything was horribly disfigured and freaked me out. I'm not sure if it was AA that did it but I'm not trying it again.

You should try again. If you install the GOG version and set the settings the way Darktalon said in preferences.ini and nvidia profile inspector, it makes a huge difference. No more jagged edges; it's all smooth. I did try the AA setting Carlos suggested, but it resulted in none of the character models loading during the opening scene in the prologue, so I went back to the other setting and everything looks great. Even if it doesn't work for you, you can always reset the settings, so you have nothing to lose.

#53 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:37

You should try again. If you install the GOG version and set the settings the way Darktalon said in preferences.ini and nvidia profile inspector, it makes a huge difference. No more jagged edges; it's all smooth. I did try the AA setting Carlos suggested, but it resulted in none of the character models loading during the opening scene in the prologue, so I went back to the other setting and everything looks great. Even if it doesn't work for you, you can always reset the settings, so you have nothing to lose.

Seeing disfigured models IS something to lose... :)

#54 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:47

Seeing disfigured models IS something to lose... :)

Then maybe you could talk someone you know into trying it out for you. It's a huge improvement, if you can get it done.

#55 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 15:08

Hmmmm... Maybe it worked for me because I'm using the Windows 10 Insider Preview. Also, I have the Steam version, so there's that too...

:unsure: 

#56 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 16:20

Hmmmm... Maybe it worked for me because I'm using the Windows 10 Insider Preview. Also, I have the Steam version, so there's that too...

:unsure:

Perhaps. I'm running the GOG version in Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with 32GB system RAM (16GB usable) and a Geforce GTX 970 with 4GB VRAM on my 55" LG 4K TV.

#57 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 17 May 2016 - 18:48

RNnz3Hu.png

On my i7-64 bit computer with an Nvidia GT620M  and 1920x1080 resulution, after adjusting the aspect ratio and display resolution to 1400x1050, these are the settings that will eliminate jagged edges. I normally play without overriding or enhancing the original game.

The GOG version is no better than the DVD version released with "Dreamfall, Game of the Year Edition".  I have the GOG version only because I thought they would make the game menu fully compatible with Windows 8.1 and 10 - but they haven't. 

• bongboy likes this

#58 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 20:19

Perhaps. I'm running the GOG version in Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with 32GB system RAM (16GB usable) and a Geforce GTX 970 with 4GB VRAM on my 55" LG 4K TV.

Unfortunately I tried the settings on my laptop which has an integrated GTX 940M / Intel 530 display. and it had no effect on eliminating the jagged edges. The display on the laptop looked no better than the display on a 42"" TV. So, apparently I can adjust the antialasing on one computer but not the other.

#59 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 23:15

The GOG version is no better than the DVD version released with "Dreamfall, Game of the Year Edition".  I have the GOG version only because I thought they would make the game menu fully compatible with Windows 8.1 and 10 - but they haven't. 

I don't know if I agree that the GOG version is no better than the DVD version. I've tried both, and in the GOG version, the dialogue options don't run off the screen like they do in the DVD version. I didn't mess with the aspect ratio or resolution in either version. Perhaps doing so would fix the DVD version, but the GOG version works perfectly for me straight away, and looks even better with the AA fix, which I haven't tried on the DVD version.

• Kari2 likes this

#60 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 17:45

I don't know if I agree that the GOG version is no better than the DVD version. I've tried both, and in the GOG version, the dialogue options don't run off the screen like they do in the DVD version. I didn't mess with the aspect ratio or resolution in either version. Perhaps doing so would fix the DVD version, but the GOG version works perfectly for me straight away, and looks even better with the AA fix, which I haven't tried on the DVD version.

This is good to know.  My tests were with the DVD version. I will have to try them on the GOG version.  I haven't experienced the dialogue issues you mentioned, or any other issues, with the DVD version.  Prior to the DVD version, in Windows XP I was using the 2-CD English Language release - Build 147.  The Updates 157 & 158 were added. Both the DVD and the GOG versions are updated through 161 which include the update for multicore processors. The GOG version shows game build 142 - which was the build of the original English release in 2000 for Windows 9x. GOG has obviously applied all the Updates even though the Build identification has remained the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users