Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 23 August 2015 - 20:33

Hi all!

Just replayed TLJ remastered on Ipad - amazing experience, to repeat it all over again and recall so many things!!!

Highly recommended! Btw, i think the faces got better in remastered version - interesting to see!

So - about the subject: while playing I discovered a thing which never stuck to my memory in the past - April fell in love with Cortez??

In the spirits dig when she finds out Charlie loves her, she realizes she doesnt share same feelings because....

"He's sweet and kind and... I simply have a tendency to fall for the wrong guys, for the wrong reasons. Like now. Like with... oh, no, I'm not even gonna think about THAT."

Also, after Cortez falls in a fight, she mentions everyone she LOVES dies.

I never noted this was discussed in a forum, did you notice/recon April was in love with Cortez the Red as well?

• conundra, inspector and Starseeker like this

#2 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6104 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 21:36

From all we know, wouldn't that be some kind of incest? :)

• Neurotic likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3 Nancy Brown

Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 23 August 2015 - 21:41

Well.. probably it would in some sense, but still....I think there was a clear hint in April's diary that she fell in love with him... I hope she didn't mean Zack hahaha))

I think it could be a nice story development path in TLJH: why April decided to return to Arcadia at the end of TLJ - probably to find out more about Cortez, trying to find him?

Also, I guess Draic Kin is more 'kind' then relatives form? So she may be not closely related to Cortez. Do we have a fact about White dragon relation to Red?

• inspector and Starseeker like this

#4 Nancy Brown

Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 23 August 2015 - 22:09

Here's the snapshot of April's words after dragons battle...

Attached Files

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 August 2015 - 22:41

I never noted this was discussed in a forum, did you notice/recon April was in love with Cortez the Red as well?

Yeah, I noticed those lines. It was brought up a few times back on the Funcom forum as well, in relation to theories (like citing this as evidence that Cortez couldn't be April's father, which was a not uncommon theory).

I mostly tried explaining it away, though, I wanted April to end up with Charlie.

• Nancy Brown likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 Nancy Brown

Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 24 August 2015 - 19:28

Wow, how interesting! I googled and even found that forum :)

I also sympathized April-Charlie pair and most likely because of that the point about Cortez slipped from my attention in multiple TLJ playthorughs)

So, in the end, do you think she fell in love with Cortez? 

#7 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 23:15

Only by elimination, really. I can't think of anyone else she might have meant.
  • Starseeker likes this

#8 tummy ooh aah

tummy ooh aah

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:34

I think if you really want to you can explain away those lines as a different kind of connection, one more mystical and strange, that April only mistook for (romantic) love.

Cortez obviously has an otherworldly power about him, and could be considered one of the "gods" of the TLJ universe; her attraction to him could have been based on his power as a dragon/god, something that she is able to sense more easily than your average person... She could have been attracted to him by forces existing well beyond her, like powers of fate or the Balance, or recognized something familiar in him - something magical.

Perhaps the closest Starkers can get to the sort of magical bond that connects Cortez and April, is romantic love. So maybe that's why she mistook one for the other.

Edit: Or maybe she was in love with him. (Ewww!)

Present tense, past tense... Bah April!
  • yodagreen3 and Nancy Brown like this

#9 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:33

I... think she definitively had some feelings for Cortez, but I'm not absolutely confident in identifying them as romantic love.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#10 Skizzo

Skizzo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:21

I... think she definitively had some feelings for Cortez, but I'm not absolutely confident in identifying them as romantic love.

I agree. He acted as her mentor and at the beginning of the game it was clear that she didn't feel that way about Cortez. It seems rather strange, though not completely impossible, to me that her feelings would change so suddenly.

#11 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:07

This quote makes me think otherwise:

"He's sweet and kind and... I simply have a tendency to fall for the wrong guys, for the wrong reasons. Like now. Like with... oh, no, I'm not even gonna think about THAT."

"Fall for" does mean "that way", unless I'm mistaken. And I can't think of anyone more likely she could be speaking about, given the context.

• Nancy Brown, inspector and Starseeker like this

#12 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3527 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:45

"Fall for" does mean "that way", unless I'm mistaken. And I can't think of anyone more likely she could be speaking about, given the context.

True, but April stating that does not necessarily mean it is true. Only that, in her rather confused and jumbled state, she thinks that is the case. But I agree on the purely linguistic side of things.

#13 Skizzo

Skizzo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 13:30

This quote makes me think otherwise:

You are definitely right that in the way it is stated it seems that April seems to be falling for someone and this might be Cortez. But knowing Ragnar I suspect he left this open/unclear on purpose and he may not even have had a particular person in mind to be April's object of affection. We all know how much he loves mystery and this seems exactly the kind of thing he'd leave open for interpretation.

#14 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 13:39

You are definitely right that in the way it is stated it seems that April seems to be falling for someone and this might be Cortez. But knowing Ragnar I suspect he left this open/unclear on purpose and he may not even have had a particular person in mind to be April's object of affection. We all know how much he loves mystery and this seems exactly the kind of thing he'd leave open for interpretation.

Good point.

It would be funny if in TLJH (if it ever happens™) we found out she was referring to Kevin, the cashier in the local bakery, who never appeared in the game. :P

• Nancy Brown and Skizzo like this

#15 Skizzo

Skizzo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 13:53

Good point.

It would be funny if in TLJH (if it ever happens™) we found out she was referring to Kevin, the cashier in the local bakery, who never appeared in the game. :P

Or Crow.  :blink:

• Indrid Cold and inspector like this

#16 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 August 2015 - 19:10

Maybe in her way to the Banda village she spotted from afar a certain one-eyed Dolmari...?

• Indrid Cold, Nancy Brown, inspector and 1 other like this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#17 cerb998

cerb998

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 20:23

Obviously she was thinking about Abnaxus. I mean, is thinking... she is will have was been thinking... about Abnaxus.

What would his daughters say? Abratha, Abelexe and You gotta be kidding me.

• conundra, Nancy Brown, inspector and 2 others like this

#18 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 25 August 2015 - 22:52

Or one of the idle workers in the police station...

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#19 Nancy Brown

Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 26 August 2015 - 18:49

Hahaha amazing)))) I think she was actually flirting with one of the Policemen))))

Jokes aside,

I think if you really want to you can explain away those lines as a different kind of connection, one more mystical and strange, that April only mistook for (romantic) love.

Cortez obviously has an otherworldly power about him, and could be considered one of the "gods" of the TLJ universe; her attraction to him could have been based on his power as a dragon/god, something that she is able to sense more easily than your average person... She could have been attracted to him by forces existing well beyond her, like powers of fate or the Balance, or recognized something familiar in him - something magical.

Perhaps the closest Starkers can get to the sort of magical bond that connects Cortez and April, is romantic love. So maybe that's why she mistook one for the other.

Edit: Or maybe she was in love with him. (Ewww!)

Present tense, past tense... Bah April!

I tend to support same thinking. Remembering she was young inexperienced country girl not really confident about herself. Suddenly mysterious grown-up man shows interest in her, tells her she is special etc etc... this can easily be a great hook for falling in love. BTW i think Emma mentioned he was hot :))))

It may be an interesting storyline for TLJH if she actually went back to arcadia to find Cortez or find out about him...) or maybe she even met him again and Cortez didnt share her feelings for obvious reasons - this broke her heart and that became one of the reasons which led to her becoming Raven.... (Ragnar, you may use this idea free of charge hahaha).

:)

#20 Nancy Brown

Nancy Brown

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRussia, Stark

Posted 26 August 2015 - 19:06

Attached File  pimp).jpg   51.15KB   5 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arpil, Cortez, love, TLJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic