• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:23

Previously we had a plugin on our website that had the ability to create new threads on this forum for specific articles/posts written on the website. However, this plugin had a lot of bugs and even security loopholes so we had to get rid of it. I'll look around to see if there is something similar for us to add. Can't promise anything at this time though. :)

I don't think you have to go spend time looking for that yet. We could wait and see how things work out, then take it from there when we see what reaction people have to the blog (that is, how much commenting they engage in). Unless you plan on chugging out daily dev blogs (which would be cool, but might take away a tinsy bit from the actual development), the mods will be able to stay on top of it for now.

• Morten, Tina and Edreamer Jamil like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#22 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:31

I don't think you have to go spend time looking for that yet. We could wait and see how things work out, then take it from there when we see what reaction people have to the blog (that is, how much commenting they engage in). Unless you plan on chugging out daily dev blogs (which would be cool, but might take away a tinsy bit from the actual development), the mods will be able to stay on top of it for now.

Ahh, mods.  :wub:

Gotta love 'em!

• Tina, khh and Olstyle like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#23 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 17:34

Ahh, mods.  :wub:

Gotta love 'em!

Well, that sure help forums in general when the community and the mods are of great quality...

I seriously think that the community here is very nice.

#24 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 August 2015 - 18:09

Yeah, I was pondering this as well. I was wondering if it would be sensible to have blogposts auto-post on the forums or not. Though for the time being I think the forum is probably small enough that when someone wants to discuss a topic they can look in the forums, and if there isn't a thread for it they can create it. And then we'll just merge duplicates as they crop up. It might not be a sustainable solution, but it will at least work to begin with while we see how these things work out.

Should definitely do that — post the blog entries to the forum (I think we can do that automatically) and have the discussions here. I'd prefer to not add another place that has to be moderated and followed up.

EDIT: Just saw Morten's post. I guess we can't do it automagically. Odd. I seem to remember unchecking that box recently for 'post to forum'. Anyways, having to do it manually isn't such a big deal — it always seems to happen quite automagically whenever I send out a Kickstarter update! ;)

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 2 others like this

#25 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 August 2015 - 18:21

it always seems to happen quite automagically whenever I send out a Kickstarter update! ;)

Definitely magic. 

Penguin-you-didnt-see-anything.gif

• Morten, Tina, Edreamer Jamil and 3 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#26 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 20:43

+1 for the Madagascar penguins reference.

• ct2651 likes this

#27 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:23

Should definitely do that — post the blog entries to the forum (I think we can do that automatically) and have the discussions here. I'd prefer to not add another place that has to be moderated and followed up.

EDIT: Just saw Morten's post. I guess we can't do it automagically. Odd. I seem to remember unchecking that box recently for 'post to forum'. Anyways, having to do it manually isn't such a big deal — it always seems to happen quite automagically whenever I send out a Kickstarter update! ;)

Hah, yeah xD
But then, since everyone seems to want blog posts on the forum, maybe a dedicated subforum should be made (admin/mod thread creation only, like the DFC announcement subforum, perhaps)? In order not to clutter the "RTG general" subforum, I mean.

(having it in place before blog posts are posted will probably help the posts be automagically copied over here, at least)
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#28 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 August 2015 - 16:48

Hah, yeah xD
But then, since everyone seems to want blog posts on the forum, maybe a dedicated subforum should be made (admin/mod thread creation only, like the DFC announcement subforum, perhaps)? In order not to clutter the "RTG general" subforum, I mean.

(having it in place before blog posts are posted will probably help the posts be automagically copied over here, at least)

DFC Announcements & News?

I mean, dev blogs aren't exactly that but almost.

• Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

#29 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 16:59

Or maybe RTG General if we don't want to make a new area for it. Especially if you guys are eventually going to get to chatting about Draugen and whatever else might be on the horizon for RTG after DFC wraps. 

If we do decide to have a thread for each post over here (and I'm still mixed on that...but it's hard to form a major opinion without knowing how long and involved blog posts are going to be), I'm still unsure if we want to repost the entire blog post here as opposed to simply posting a link. 

A big positive of posting Kickstarter updates over here is that they occasionally have important information for backers / customers and it helps ensure that information gets out, especially if they don't get updates through Kickstarter. People can subscribe to this subforum for notifications, etc. 

The blog may be more accessible and easier for people to just link to. 

Thoughts? 

(And I get that this might be more of a "Staff / Moderators" discussion, but I kind of want to have it here because I'm curious to get opinions from the usual suspects. ;) )

• Tina and khh like this

#30 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 17:47

Or maybe RTG General if we don't want to make a new area for it. Especially if you guys are eventually going to get to chatting about Draugen and whatever else might be on the horizon for RTG after DFC wraps. 

Or rename "DFC announcements and news" to "RTG announcements and news".  :rolleyes:

Especially if RTG plan to make more games in the future

#31 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 17:57

Or rename "DFC announcements and news" to "RTG announcements and news".  :rolleyes:

Especially if RTG plan to make more games in the future

Yeah, but my understanding is that the RTG General area is for stuff that's uh... ...generally about RTG. 

This subforum is in the Dreamfall Chapters subforum because it has news specifically about DFC. When the Draguen people flock in, they may not care about DFC, for example. So Draugen has its own Announcements and News area. And any as-of-yet-unnamed future projects will likely get their own subforums with their own News / Announcements area. 

• Tina and khh like this

#32 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 August 2015 - 18:27

Actually I like Ragnar's suggestion. Dev blogs related to DFC could go in the DFC News and Announcements forum, dev blogs about Draugen could go in the Draugen News and Announcements forum, and dev blogs that aren't really about either could go in RTG General. I think that would probably work pretty well.

If we do decide to have a thread for each post over here (and I'm still mixed on that...but it's hard to form a major opinion without knowing how long and involved blog posts are going to be), I'm still unsure if we want to repost the entire blog post here as opposed to simply posting a link.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same here. Though when it comes to reposting the entire blog or just a link, I'm leaning towards the just a link option. You know, if we do post them.
  • Pawlo_86 likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#33 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 18:43

I guess that would make you moderator guys (and gals) the automatic posting algorithm. Not sure if current available tools can configure dynamically where to send the update (could be I'm wrong I dunno), even if they do make it work eventually.

Regardless, in that case, I think Ragnar's idea is the best. dev blog entries could sometimes be completely unrelated to a specific game, for example relating to some platform (e.g. Unity) insights, or general ranting (or phrasing) of various aspects of the profession.

Or maybe you can post each blog entry according to the subject, in General, or specific update area, but then it would be a bit hard for someone to follow all the posts and discussions. Maybe the blog entry could have a link to the discussion in the forum. That could be convenient in such a case.

Just my 2 cents.

#34 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 August 2015 - 18:45

Actually I like Ragnar's suggestion. Dev blogs related to DFC could go in the DFC News and Announcements forum, dev blogs about Draugen could go in the Draugen News and Announcements forum, and dev blogs that aren't really about either could go in RTG General. I think that would probably work pretty well.

Or maybe you can post each blog entry according to the subject, in General, or specific update area, but then it would be a bit hard for someone to follow all the posts and discussions. Maybe the blog entry could have a link to the discussion in the forum. That could be convenient in such a case.

Yeah...I considered that. My only concern there is that depending on what they do with the blog, it might not be quite that clear cut and easy to categorize. And it seems potentially complicated. 

#35 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 18:59

Oh the dilemmas...

:)

#36 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:10

Anyway xD

Glad we finally got an update, good luck to the team! :)

jHevh80.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ks update, kickstarter, kickstarter update, update 85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users