41 replies to this topic

#21 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 August 2015 - 17:19

Let's them to finish Dreamer Cycle and then got a little break from TLJ franchise untill spectacular return with super finale.

• Crowboy likes this

#22 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 19:06

I would love nothing more than to play the complete TLJ cycle.

To know who April is, where she came from, how the story of the balance was concluded, etc...

I would definitely support a kickstarter for such a game made by Ragnar, and I think many others will too.

I just hope they manage to make it before all voice actors (e.g. Mainly April and Crow, but others as well) are no longer available to make the game.

But aside from stating that I would pay to play that game, there's not much I can do about it, no more than I had when DFC was originally cancelled by Funcom. It's up to RTG.

#23 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 22:16

*sigh*.

Book 3 didn't even have a single Sarah line. :(

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#24 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 August 2015 - 16:10

I honestly wouldn't trust ANYTHING that's been posted on Steam. Or really anything in regards to licensing unless it's come directly from someone official. 

(snip)

As far as I know and based on everything the team has said, they have a good relationship with Funcom. So I really really don't want unfounded rumors to start or get spread around...and especially not on this forum. Not that I'm scolding you or anything! I just feel like that could be really bad. 

No disputes — at least as far as I know. We have a courteous and uneventful relationship with Funcom, and they've been receptive to the idea of TLJH in the past. So, yeah, let's put that particular rumour to rest.

• Tina, Chocobo_sage, Edreamer Jamil and 17 others like this

#25 LeChuck

LeChuck

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 10 August 2015 - 21:45

I`d like to add:

Funcom did (!) send out an email to fans letting them know about the KS project of Chapters.

They seemed to be very happy with the efford of bringing back the franchise.

In contrast to this situation: SEGA hasn`t commented on Shenmue III in any way I`m aware of.

They did absolutly nothing to show the hardcore fans any "happyness".

Ragnar Tornquist (Twitter): "Kiss or no kiss, he's always been (and will always be) gay!"

#26 Future Markus

Future Markus

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:33

Didn't Ragnar say that some of the original background art for TLJ has been lost? So I mean...that kind of limits how much remastering can be done without redoing everything. 

Redoing the art altogether wouldn't be prohibitive at all. Let's say it takes one artist (who can be hired anywhere in the world) two years to produce -- that's actually pretty cheap compared to (say) a team of five game industry 3D modelers/environmental artists (who have to be hired in Oslo/London/Seattle/etc.). My guess, a much bigger cost would be the programmers who 'touch up' the code for modern platform(s), the modelers who redo all the character models, the audio engineer who remasters all the spoken dialogue and music...

#27 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:45

Love how people always jump on the "Companies hate each other" bandwagon lol. RTG's has spent so much time on Chapters they are probably burnt out on the series at this point xD let them finish chapters and their next game, then who knows maybe the team will wanna go back to TLJH after having a decent break from the series.

• Abnoxious likes this

jHevh80.jpg

#28 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:44

Of course there is also the concern as to what may happen to the IP if Funcom goes under or is bought out (as they are currently looking for ways to stay afloat).

#29 hvkasteren

hvkasteren

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 13:39

Of course there is also the concern as to what may happen to the IP if Funcom goes under or is bought out (as they are currently looking for ways to stay afloat).

I just came here after reading about that (look at http://www.funcom.co...rategic_options for more info). I wonder if selling licenses could fall under those "strategic options". That would probably have no consequences for Dreamfall Chapters, but might mean more for other games in the same universe.

#30 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 August 2015 - 16:54

Somebody started a thread about that over here. (Just want to try to keep the discussion organized. That's all.) 

Though I will say here basically what I said over there. Nobody panic. 

• Tina and Anouk like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#31 Anouk

Anouk

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 11 August 2015 - 17:01

Ah Thanks than i will delete mine... (and my link is Dutch so it is hard to read for peope haha...stupid...)

#32 Future Markus

Future Markus

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:54

Love how people always jump on the "Companies hate each other" bandwagon lol. RTG's has spent so much time on Chapters they are probably burnt out on the series at this point xD let them finish chapters and their next game, then who knows maybe the team will wanna go back to TLJH after having a decent break from the series.

Yeah I can definitely see this being the case. And frankly, it's not great for the creative juices to circumscribe your efforts. We may want RTG to make TLJH, but what if doing so prevented them from creating an amazing new IP?

Plus, DFC hasn't really turned into a huge hit. It sounds like it's keeping the lights on but nothing more. Sometimes you have to give up your labor of love to find something you like -- that also pays...

#33 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 14:26

Actually Ragnar stated that DFC sold beyond their expectations.

Not overwhelmingly, "whoo hooo I'm rich" beyond, but beyond still.

#34 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 15:11

Actually Ragnar stated that DFC sold beyond their expectations.

Not overwhelmingly, "whoo hooo I'm rich" beyond, but beyond still.

Are you sure? I think the wording was more like "It sold enough".

#35 merryawe

merryawe

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 August 2015 - 15:24

I also remember something along the lines of "we had the worst possible scenario and the best possible scenario and the true sales are somewhere inbeteween".

#36 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 20:24

Indeed merryawe, that's true.

But that in between, as I recall, was better than their actual projections. I remember Rangar specifically saying they are increasing the team and they couldn't have done it  if DFC didn't sell good.

This was in response to V's speculations IIRC. Maybe he has the reference.

#37 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 20:36

Indeed merryawe, that's true.
But that in between, as I recall, was better than their actual projections. I remember Rangar specifically saying they are increasing the team and they couldn't have done it  if DFC didn't sell good.
This was in response to V's speculations IIRC. Maybe he has the reference.

"Sales are fine" is what I vividly remember.

salesarefineanonymous.gif

Of course, if you prefer the boring variant...

You're right, they're not that low.

Discuss numbers as much as you want, guys — we're not going to put a stop to it…but we're also not going to confirm or deny anything, since we don't want the focus to be on our finances. That can quickly derail things.

If people think you're making a (big) profit, it changes how they talk to you and approach you, and it changes what they expect from you. Conversely, if the numbers are 'bad' (and, to be honest, people outside the industry often think games sell a lot more than they do) everyone believes you're days away from going bankrupt. Which is silly.

Few understand the financial realities of indie game development. And that's fine — better to focus on the games rather than the spreadsheets — but it also means sharing sales numbers is not something I want to do. Maybe after Book Five is out. Probably then. I'd like to share the numbers at some point, so maybe in a year's time I'll post something about it, as a resource for other indie developers and our backers and followers.

Just to be clear: our sales are way above our lowest expectations, and way below our highest expectations. They are firmly in the middle — within the 'what we can realistically expect' buffer — and that's fine. Dreamfall will keep selling for a long time to come, enabling us to do more things in the future. Indie development is definitely not a path to riches; it is, however, what we want to be doing, and right now it looks like our sales numbers can support that.

• Crowboy likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#38 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 20:55

My takeaway on that was that sales are good enough for them to be able to continue as a company.  Because, let's face it, at least part of the success of DFC was going to directly affect the success of RTG.  Ragnar is confidant that RTG will continue, so DFC must be selling well enough.  It's just to going to be that breakaway hit that we were all hoping it would be.

#39 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4004 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 14 August 2015 - 21:22

Hoping to bump up the sales when the ps4 version is released. I know a few people that will buy it (who weren't ks backers), plus a couple ks backers and myself will get it too. :)
  • Andreas and mrKnask like this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#40 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 21:26

Indeed, it will be interesting to see how the PS4 release will reverberate in the gaming community.

But RTG will STILL not be able to buy the TLJ license, folks. :P

• mrKnask likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users