41 replies to this topic

#1 Rivercliff

Rivercliff

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 00:18

I recall that, at some point in the past, Ragnar said that the future of TLJH depends on the success of DFC and Draugen, but I recently read the following, on the DFC Steam forum: "Sadly, there is some kind of dispute between RedThreadGames (independent developers) and Funcom (commercial game publisher/developer). Funcom wants the TLJ license back in their hands and Ragnar said that TLJ Home might not happen because of this."

Obviously, without Ragnar there will be no TLJH worthy of the name, but is this true? 

#2 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:38

"Sadly, there is some kind of dispute between RedThreadGames (independent developers) and Funcom (commercial game publisher/developer). Funcom wants the TLJ license back in their hands and Ragnar said that TLJ Home might not happen because of this."

......but is this true? 

I would really doubt it. For a whole host of reasons. I think the question is more do RTG want to make TLJH. I'm not sure they do.

#3 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:03

I honestly wouldn't trust ANYTHING that's been posted on Steam. Or really anything in regards to licensing unless it's come directly from someone official. 

My guess there is that someone took one of Ragnar's comments and twisted it. Ragnar has mentioned that they ultimately do not own the rights to the universe in at least one post regarding TLJH (and how it's not and never has been a sure thing). So my guess would be that this person is twisting those comments around or misremembering them. Especially if they heard it second hand...you know how it goes. 

As far as I know and based on everything the team has said, they have a good relationship with Funcom. So I really really don't want unfounded rumors to start or get spread around...and especially not on this forum. Not that I'm scolding you or anything! I just feel like that could be really bad. 

• Tina, khh and toremygg like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#4 Rivercliff

Rivercliff

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:31

As far as I know and based on everything the team has said, they have a good relationship with Funcom. So I really really don't want unfounded rumors to start or get spread around...and especially not on this forum. Not that I'm scolding you or anything! I just feel like that could be really bad. 

That's precisely why I posted the question here, in friendly territory, so I would, hopefully, get an "official" (or, at least, well informed) response. From what I've been reading, a lot of people will be very disappointed if TLJH is not made - myself included!

• Tina, agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:12

Yeah, a lot of people want TLJH to happen (I'm definitely one of them, too!) but DFC and Draugen are the focus right now. TLJH...hopefully someday, but nothing's guaranteed. 

But yeah, I totally get that. :) And I appreciate you trying to fact check. Seriously. The internet needs more of that. I mostly just wanted that statement to be in there in case anyone else ends up on this thread via a web search or as a new forum member. ;)

#6 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:44

TLJ could still happen, perhaps in five years from now? I dunno, haven't got 2020 vision... ;)

badum-pish

• wandrew, Tina, Edreamer Jamil and 4 others like this

#7 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:04

TLJ could still happen, perhaps in five years from now? I dunno, haven't got 2020 vision... ;)

badum-pish

Pfff, Ragnar retweeted that pun a few days ago. THIEF!

:P

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, trentjaspar and 1 other like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#8 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:44

I honestly wouldn't trust ANYTHING that's been posted on Steam.

Oh yes, that's going into my quote collection. :P

We don't know many details about the personal relationship of RTG and FunCom, but honestly everyone, it doesn't sound like a dispute to me. That's just the usual gossip inflation. For Chapters, FunCom has given RTG vast liberties with their license, at least compared to a lot of other licensed franchises I know (Telltale games in particular...). That just doesn't point towards much of an animosity.

However, another studio building their reputation just around your license, I'd understand if that felt icky to FunCom somehow. Better to let a bit of time pass, better to see how the studio fares with their own IPs (and I'm not just talking about five hour Draugen). If RTG thrives beyond the scope of the TLJ universe, I'm rather certain FunCom will allow the completion of the saga. Sure, Ragnar alluded to another idea —

At some point, we will want to focus on our own thing — and at some point Funcom may want to make a game set in that universe themselves.

But let's be honest here, FunCom doesn't make single player games any more, they can't just sit on that license and do nothing with it, and they can't make an MMO out of it because it would bomb so hard. :)

What should be a real worry, however, is that Ragnar sounded a bit tired of that license when we last spoke about TLJH, and in fact welcomed the saga to be taken from his hands. That's... understandable, I'll say, but 2020 indeed is a long way off.

The key to TLJH is patience. For the fans as well as RTG. :)

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 3 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#9 Rivercliff

Rivercliff

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 14:34

Then there's the possibility of an enhanced version of the original TLJ along the lines of the recent remakes of Grim Fandango and Gabriel Knight. Not sure how profitable these are, and I can't really see Ragnar's creative thirst being quenched by the idea, but there could be some money in it for FunCom, or another licensee, if RTG keeps the franchise alive.

(Sorry, I guess I've just never recovered from my initial playthrough of TLJ a decade and a half ago. It's kind of like my initial reading of John Fowles' The Magus. I will never be free of it's influence. Quite a testament to Ragna, when you think about it.)

• Edreamer Jamil and Vainamoinen like this

#10 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 14:38

Along the lines of Grim Fandango Remastered, I could imagine, yes. It's essentially just a few updated character models, a few bugs finally addressed, and Bob's your uncle.

Along the lines of Gabriel Knight – Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition... I don't think so. That's an entire remake. Far too costly. :(

In any case, you'll have to look to FunCom to do it, because RTG_can_not.

• Tina likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#11 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 August 2015 - 14:57

I'm not sure if Funcom will do an update of The Longest Journey. While I believe the iOS version of TLJ did all right, I don't think it was a smashing success and considering that TLJ is still perfectly playable on modern computers (Funcom did after all patch it for Vista compatibility) and still being sold through online retailers, I don't think there's really a market there to justify it. I mean, like V says, it is possible they could just update the character models a little and debug anti aliasing and release that, but since they don't have the original artwork any longer the backgrounds are stuck at their current resolution (recreating it would be very expensive). But yeah, as I said, I don't really see it happening anytime soon personally.

(obligatory disclaimer: This is all just guesswork, I don't work for RTG I'm just a moderator on the forums).

(Sorry, I guess I've just never recovered from my initial playthrough of TLJ a decade and a half ago. It's kind of like my initial reading of John Fowles' The Magus. I will never be free of it's influence. Quite a testament to Ragna, when you think about it.)

Yeah, don't worry, most of us here are in that condition I think :P

• agirlnamedbob and Vainamoinen like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#12 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 August 2015 - 15:00

Didn't Ragnar say that some of the original background art for TLJ has been lost? So I mean...that kind of limits how much remastering can be done without redoing everything. 

But yeah...unless the iOS version did amazing, I don't know if I see Funcom doing a remastered PC version. Though again...their IP, so who knows what they'll ultimately do. And if there is ever a remaster/remake, it'll be Funcom doing it. Ragnar's been pretty clear that RTG's focus is on new games, not redoing old ones. 

• Vainamoinen and Crowboy like this

#13 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:15

what agirlnamedbob said.

Ragnar specifically said that the game art is lost which eliminates pretty much any chance of seeing the game with improved graphics, so if graphics won't improve and game runs on all current platforms, why bother remaking it?

#14 GuybrushThreepwood

GuybrushThreepwood

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 13:22

TLJ is still perfectly playable on modern computers 

This is debatable...there's unfixable bugs, some people can't watch cutscenes, etc., it's still a good game but modern PC's have trouble with it. An update to make it not glitchy with modern graphics cards would be nice.

#15 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 16:47

The sooner everyone realises Funcom couldn't care less about TLJ, the better off we will all be.

Its RTG or nothing as far as TLJ is concerned. And maybe thats the way it should be.

• khh likes this

#16 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 17:23

I don't know.

If DFC does really well, Funcom just might want a piece of the action.

#17 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 17:41

... Funcom just might want a piece of the action.

nope

#18 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 19:48

Eloquence issues aside, I agree with Lee-m.

And that starts with FunCom's concept of said action, which is fundamentally more literal than RTG's. :)

• khh likes this

#19 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:11

If I (as a game developer company) had a license and I leased it to someone else who made a lot of money from it,

I'd definitely want to see some of that money in my pocket.

So I'd say anything is possible.

#20 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 14:57

If I (as a game developer company) had a license and I leased it to someone else who made a lot of money from it,

I'd definitely want to see some of that money in my pocket.

So I'd say anything is possible.

Exactly, simple anwser on my side...

• Crowboy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users