#1 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:23

Yeah, DFC runs fine under Windows 10 for me. No change in performance yet, we'll see if Unity 5 brings any DirectX 12 enabling to the table.

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil and Pawlo_86 like this

#2 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:37

I played episode/book 3 on the preview version on windows 10. Worked just fine.

As for switching APIs... I wouldn't have thought so. I would think we are stuck with dx9.

#3 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:30

I've tried it as well, and I never remember getting 50 fps tops , I scored 51 yesterday, the average is still kindof the same, I don't want to say I have a huge performance benifit, for that I guess we have to wait for unity 5. 

• debro likes this

#4 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:11

As for switching APIs... I wouldn't have thought so. I would think we are stuck with dx9.

But isn't that part of the engine?  Wouldn't Unity 5 use the latest version available?  I could be wrong, that's why I'm asking.

#5 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:14

But isn't that part of the engine?  Wouldn't Unity 5 use the latest version available?  I could be wrong, that's why I'm asking.

Not unless its as easy as clicking a check box I guess. Unity 4 supports dx11 and we have been stuck with dx9. Not that it matters a great deal. There would be no point in 'upgrading' the api unless you are going to use its features, and that would be more work. so I suspect it will just be left as is. But I guess we will have to wait and see on that one.

#6 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 July 2015 - 23:20

Linux and Mac Version are using OpenGL, but I haven't seen anything posted about the featurelevel used there(it might use some "DX11 Features"). Also I vaguely believe to remember something about a switch to enable OGL in Windows.

#7 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:42

DirectX 12 does bring some performance enhancement to the table (the DX API has gotten somewhat outdated compared to how the modern graphics cards work and DX12 is supposed to fix that at the expense of increased complexity), so there is a point to upgrading. But RTG would probably have to tweak their sharers and do some extensive testing to make sure everything works to support it. It's possible they'll do that, though.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#8 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 19:03

Performance for me has been greatly improved in Windows 10. I get very high FPS at times. It's still rough outside in Propast, it's in the 30~45 fps range most of the time, but gets up to 80 or 90 even in some places, which it didn't happen in windows 8.1.

I even get INSANE fps in some stages (Zoe's dream with Crow and the tunnels), 120+ fps :o

I'm very very happy :)

To notice: I have an AMD FX8350 CPU, which might be the one that got the most gain :) Also running a nVidia GTX 960 with updated drivers :) Oh and all of these in Awesome, with AA and SSAO in Medium. Full shadow distance :)

• khh, Mr_Russ and Mr Moo like this

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#9 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 04 August 2015 - 22:12

I upgraded from Windows 7 and Chapters played a little faster. However, I don't have a gaming GPU , so it was like trying to push a sailboat faster than its hull speed. Some of the retro games (Windows XP games) had issues - but not those with the GOG platform. I've gone back to Windows 7 and will try Windows 10 again when Sony releases the Upgrade Package for my model computer.

#10 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:14

I upgraded again, this time to Windows 10 Pro. The last time I upgraded to Windows 10 Home and had some corrupt system files. Also, rather than upgrade directly from Windows 7, I upgraded via 8 Pro and 8.1 Pro. It worked out better this way because the hardware drivers not upgraded by Windows 10, are Windows 8.1 drivers and not Windows 7.drivers.

My experience was a lot better. All my games (more than 60 retro games) play better in Windows 10 than either Windows 7 or 8.1.  Unfortunately, The Longest Journey is not compatible with my NVIDIA GPU drivers for Windows 8.1 or 10 (neither the GOG version nor Build 161). That is not an issue because I can still play the original English release in Windows 9x and the 2CD version in XP. However, the GOG version of Atlantis - The Lost Tales plays very well in Windows 10, where it would freeze the computer in Windows 7. Also in Windows 10, the NVIDIA display will automatically change the aspect ratio from 1080P to the native aspect ratio of the game. In Windows 7, the aspect ratio had to be changed manually.

• khh likes this

#11 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:50

Ironically I got a little performance push, went up by like 10fps which is pretty decent. Looking forward to seeing how well the game performs after the engine upgrade.

NO issues on my end either btw :)

• khh and debro like this

jHevh80.jpg

#12 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2015 - 21:56

I'm guessing Unity 5 doesn't do Directx12, just has some other internal improvements to help get better performance from multi-core systems?  The recent batch of benchmarks using Ashes of the Singularity, a full Directx12 game in alpha state, show massive gains by AMD hardware bring some parity across the board.  If Unity 5 were to support Directx12, that would really be something to run DFC thru.

sample article below (one of many out this week)

http://arstechnica.c...ent-for-nvidia/

#13 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2419 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 19 August 2015 - 22:13

Unity is planning to support DirectX12 starting with release 5.3, which is currently scheduled for December.

http://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#14 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2015 - 22:46

Then we can hope for the final game, with all books together on a DVD, to be running on at least that version of the Unity engine!

• Mr_Russ likes this

#15 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 September 2015 - 18:34

BTW, excellent article discussing Windows 10 Directx 12 and the degree to which AMD/nVidia/Intel support it at present:

http://wccftech.com/...ures-explained/

• khh likes this

#16 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 September 2015 - 19:37

BTW, excellent article discussing Windows 10 Directx 12 and the degree to which AMD/nVidia/Intel support it at present:

http://wccftech.com/...ures-explained/

Thank you :)

So ... as I have a fairly decent CPU, I shouldn't expect much improvement from DX12, but at least it shouldn't perform any worse than in DX9 or 11. Or perform worse but look better.

#17 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 16:54

Looks like my Superclocked GTX 750Ti GPUs should get some benefit. Yay! :)

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users