5 replies to this topic

#1 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 14:49

I was just thinking about the original TLJ, and remembered a few problems April had with the automatic translation feature of magical languages. I mean things that were translated a bit too literally or where the non-English language used the same word for more than one thing.

Examples (not exact quotes, my memory isn't that good):

April: That is so not cool.

Tobias: No, it has been unseasonally warm.

April: I'll see you again.

Tobias: You will? If you say so, then it must be true.

Maerum Queen: [...]the harvest.

April: Harvest?

Queen: They swim around, blah blah blah.

April: Fish. You're talking about fish.

Queen: Yes, that is what we said, the harvest.

I don't remember any such problems in Dreamfall, and about DFC:

Spoiler

I've missed that.

• Abbe likes this

#2 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:28

Could it have something to do with the way in which they 'materialize' in Arcadia? 

April Ryan is a shifter so she is actually there in person. Since Zoe is a dreamer, she's there but at the same time not there, so perhaps it could have something to do with the way dreams are experienced?

I once had a dream that my fingers were flowers and they could talk to other non-finger flowers with no language barriers to speak of. It made perfect sense to me while still dreaming, but when I woke up it was quite the WTF-moment. 

#3 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 18:15

Could it have something to do with the way in which they 'materialize' in Arcadia? 

April Ryan is a shifter so she is actually there in person. Since Zoe is a dreamer, she's there but at the same time not there, so perhaps it could have something to do with the way dreams are experienced?

I once had a dream that my fingers were flowers and they could talk to other non-finger flowers with no language barriers to speak of. It made perfect sense to me while still dreaming, but when I woke up it was quite the WTF-moment. 

I assume, from the lucidness of your post, that you sought professional help after that dream, and that it was successful ;) :D

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#4 Neurotic

Neurotic

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 20:06

I assume, from the lucidness of your post, that you sought professional help after that dream, and that it was successful ;) :D

Ahahhahaha! Nah.. My insanity is of the incurable sort. :P

#5 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 20:08

Ahahhahaha! Nah.. My insanity is of the incurable sort. :P

Now, now. It's important to have a positive attitude, to get the most from your course of treatment :D :rolleyes:

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#6 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 23:17

I've thought the same thing, actually. It does make sense, kinda. I used to theorise that this was why most Arcadians had British accents in DF, until someone pointed out that they still do when we play as April. :P

Speaking of dreams: The flower fingers one is stranger than most of mine, which is a feat. :) Then again I've thought stranger stuff when I've just woken up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users