Photo

Ok, fess up, who on the team actually thought that was a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:22

The un...no umbrella scene is also very cute.

Funny I seem to be the only one who never cares about the whole "Magnus sounds scottish, so he should be a scot" stuff and other.

I just like to listen to English of different variations and I'm soo happy that I'm at an advanced level in this language - I know DFC German isn't that good and since I've seen this many times before I'm glad I can do it in the Original.

That being said, I think it's difficult for a small developer to choose actors that fit, plus:

in Arcadia, what accent should people canonwise have?

in Stark, do people still talk with an accent?

Oh and also actors choice is to mess with those people who wonder about things.
  • Tina likes this

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#102 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:14

In Arcadia, I'd think you'd have different accents just like here.  What those accents correspond to will be completely different of course. 

And EVERYONE has an accent.  Personally, I have a western American accent, which is distinctly different from a northern, southern, mid-west, or eastern American accent.  And there's loads more.  That's just one country.  I know other countries are the same way.  I highly doubt that different accents would disappear in the future.

Plus, in Stark, we have Falk, who has a clearly German accent, vs Zoe, who clearly does not.  I'm not entirely sure where to place her accent, but it's not German!!  And then there's all the Chinese people around.  And then there's Mira...

#103 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:33

You might as well ask why the bartender is Welsh. Because reasons :P

You will need to ask Ragnar that question.

#104 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:36

Plus, in Stark, we have Falk, who has a clearly German accent, vs Zoe, who clearly does not.  I'm not entirely sure where to place her accent, but it's not German!!  And then there's all the Chinese people around.  And then there's Mira...

It would be a strange kind of German then.  Zoe's accent is English.

#105 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:55

You will need to ask Ragnar that question.

Well no, because I don't give a toss about accents. You're the one asking about them.

#106 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:04

Well no, because I don't give a toss about accents. You're the one asking about them. 

That's fine, you don't give a "toss" then.  Some people on here have already brought up the subject of accents before me; I just joined in the conversation.

#107 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 14:33

Ok, guys, time to take a deep breath :)

Ragnar is clearly aware about the accents thing.

Either it's intentional, or (more likely) It's hard to find good voice actors with an indie studio budget, so you take what you get.

• khh likes this

#108 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7119 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 July 2015 - 15:52

Ragnar is clearly aware about the accents thing.

Either it's intentional, or (more likely) It's hard to find good voice actors with an indie studio budget, so you take what you get.

Well, they're obviously finding good voice actors. They're maybe just not prioritising accent when they're making the choice.

• Indrid Cold and Crowboy like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#109 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 16:01

Yeah that's what I was aiming for, thanks for clearing that up

#110 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 17 July 2015 - 19:39

Personally I found Saga to be all the more Wonderful because she had a Norwegian accent.

Not sure if it would have had the same impact personally if she'd have had a wierd accent somewhere midway between Mid-western American and Scottish (Icelandic ? ;) )

#111 grantprobst

grantprobst

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 20:01

The only problem I had with the picture hunt, is with how finicky the camera controls are.  

In order to properly highlight some objects you have to be standing at a very precise angle, or it doesn't work.

It's very annoying when you know what you want to do, but still can't do it because of the wonky controls.

It did make this segment feel way too much like a pixel hunt.

#112 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 20:09

It would be a strange kind of German then.  Zoe's accent is English.

I don't get your German comment. 

As for Zoe, English is not an accent, but a group of accents.  Saying somebody has an English accent is not really very accurate.  As I pointed out with American accents, there are tons of them and they all sound really different.  It's the same way with English accents, and sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing them.

#113 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 21:17

I don't get your German comment. 

As for Zoe, English is not an accent, but a group of accents.  Saying somebody has an English accent is not really very accurate.  As I pointed out with American accents, there are tons of them and they all sound really different.  It's the same way with English accents, and sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing them.

I simply mean Zoe does not sound German by any stretch of the imagination, nothing more, nothing less.

O.k., to get down to the nitty-gritty, English is not an accent on its own, but a cumulative of different accents and dialects within different regions of the country.  However, I was just stating that Zoe does not sound German, and to have it your way, she speaks with one of the many different accents of England - phew!

#114 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 21:42

I simply mean Zoe does not sound German by any stretch of the imagination, nothing more, nothing less.

So you meant exactly what magic88889 meant.

Plus, in Stark, we have Falk, who has a clearly German accent, vs Zoe, who clearly does not.

It seems you misinterpreted this quote to mean the opposite of what it meant.

Also, can we stop it with the size 5 please? :)

• Crowboy likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#115 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 22:02

So you meant exactly what magic88889 meant.

It seems you misinterpreted this quote to mean the opposite of what it meant.
Not the same quote. I was referring to the quote about her not being able to place Zoe's accent.

#116 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 22:06

But that's exactly what I said.  That Zoe does not sound German at all!  That was my whole point, that there ARE different accents in Stark.  I then made the comment that I couldn't precisely place Zoe's accent, but I DID state that it wasn't German.  Then you quoted all of that that and made some comment about it being a weird kind of German (a comment I still don't understand).

Also, I find it kind of funny you think I'm a girl.

#117 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 22:09

But that's exactly what I said.  That Zoe does not sound German at all!  That was my whole point, that there ARE different accents in Stark.  I then made the comment that I couldn't precisely place Zoe's accent, but I DID state that it wasn't German.  Then you quoted all of that that and made some comment about it being a weird kind of German (a comment I still don't understand).

Also, I find it kind of funny you think I'm a girl.

Enough now!

#118 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7119 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 July 2015 - 22:10

I think we all agree that Zoë sounds English. My guess would be East London, but that's almost a blind shot.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#119 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 22:13

I think we all agree that Zoë sounds English. My guess would be East London, but that's almost a blind shot.

Don't get her going again.

#120 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3567 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 17 July 2015 - 22:25

Stop feeding them, folks.
  • Crowboy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic