Photo

Ok, fess up, who on the team actually thought that was a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#81 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 July 2015 - 18:52

I think I have a different definition of pixel hunting than some of you. And I don't mean that in a mean way, so I'm sorry if it comes off that way. I'm just surprised to see the term used repeatedly in relation to this puzzle.

I'm not sure how I feel about the notion of a hint / skip function. A hint system seems less invasive, but that's potentially difficult to implement. A skip system just seems...weird to me. But maybe it's just because I'm the sort of person who would rather check a walkthrough than use a built in skip (or, in some cases, even a hint) function. Maybe I've just played too many games that dock you for taking advantage of those features when they're there. ("If I use them, the game will judge me.")

It'll be interesting to see if anything is changed with this in the "Director's Cut" version, but I guess I just didn't get nearly as frustrated as a lot of people. I got stuck, but as soon as I felt myself disengaging I tabbed out and checked the forum for a couple hints and moved on without really thinking too much about it. 

I'm always amazed by how differently we react to and approach different aspects of the game.

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, khh and 2 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#82 Vanya-illin

Vanya-illin

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 July 2015 - 19:02

personally, I completely disagree.
The biggest problem with the rubber ducky was the solution being logically unintuitive, especially compared to other puzzles in TLJ, which were all easy and logically sound. Such puzzles as the rubber ducky were the norm in many classic adventure point and clicks. Such puzzles problem is that you have no logical way of reaching the solution aside from trial and error or luck. I can live with these puzzles. I can't stand knowing exactly what to do and failing to do it when it doesn't involve skill but rather pixel hunting in a huge space with wonky controls (finding drawings)

Umm, no. It wasn't obvious why I was collecting various items as I went along. But once that puzzle arrived on screen, it was more-or-less clear how I could combine them to extract the key from the subway third rail. The correct usage of the rubber ducky was just a little bit problematic if you didn't follow the unwritten rule of ALWAYS examine everything that you can and interact with everything that you can. If you follow the rule, you will have already removed the leak-stopping bandaid from the ducky, and won't have a clamp that can't grab because the ducky won't deflate.

• Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

#83 defears

defears

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:07

Umm, no. It wasn't obvious why I was collecting various items as I went along. But once that puzzle arrived on screen, it was more-or-less clear how I could combine them to extract the key from the subway third rail. The correct usage of the rubber ducky was just a little bit problematic if you didn't follow the unwritten rule of ALWAYS examine everything that you can and interact with everything that you can. If you follow the rule, you will have already removed the leak-stopping bandaid from the ducky, and won't have a clamp that can't grab because the ducky won't deflate.

so we agree, I don't know why you said "no" :)
I had no problem with rubber ducky at all the first time I played it, because point and click adventures conditioned me to always try everything, as you said
  • Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

#84 Carlos

Carlos

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 15 July 2015 - 20:40

The problem is that many of us were eagerly expecting Book 3 so we jumped on it as soon as it was released, and the search quests were pretty bugged.

In the initial release you can very easily go up and down the stairs and not realize that the switch is actionable. Also, you could plainly see the drawing, so why would you even think about turning on the light? This is mostly fixed now, but originally it was an exercise in frustration. And pointlessness. At least in Life Is Strange, you don't have to take the photos, and if you miss them you can replay each chapter in collector mode just to take them.

The goats bit is still bugged because the plants you have to collect only became actionable if you are standing exactly in the right spot and looking in the right direction. You can be standing almost on top of them and not realize that those are the plants you have to get.

Fortunately, the rest of Book 3 is much better.

Edit: And the game seriously needs a way to skip the dialogs and the cut scenes. Having to listen to the dialogs over and over again really kills the replayability factor.

Chaos! Panic! Disorder! My work is done here!

#85 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 22:03

Having to listen to the dialogs over and over again really kills the replayability factor.

It is just the opposite for me, I mainly replay for the dialogue and exploration.

#86 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 July 2015 - 22:16

The problem is that many of us were eagerly expecting Book 3 so we jumped on it as soon as it was released, and the search quests were pretty bugged.

In the initial release you can very easily go up and down the stairs and not realize that the switch is actionable. Also, you could plainly see the drawing, so why would you even think about turning on the light? This is mostly fixed now, but originally it was an exercise in frustration. And pointlessness. 

While I definitely won't disagree with the sentiment that those of us who jump in as soon as a new book goes live end up potentially running into some points of frustration that are later fixed in patches, I'm a little more forgiving with this particular bug/issue.

Though that's likely because I didn't get what you guys were talking about right away because on my pre-patch playthrough it was pitch black upstairs and I couldn't see the drawing at all before I hit the switch. They've worked to fix it for those who could, but it does seem to be dependent on your monitor settings, etc. 

I guess I just feel bad because it seems like people are under the impression that everyone had that issue, but that's not the case. Not to say it wasn't extremely frustrating for those who had that issue, I guess I'm just saying I can see how it was missed. 

Re: Dialogue. Some dialogue is skippable, but IIRC, it was implied that we won't be able to skip any more dialogue than what we can currently skip. The dialogues and cut scenes need to be there while the game loads resources. Or I remember either Morten or Ragnar saying something about that. 

• Tina and Vainamoinen like this

#87 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 22:42

The game might have benefited from a mechanic like the one used in Grim Fandango where the protagonist would turn his head to look at interesting objects as you moved to give the player a heads-up.

#88 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7119 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 July 2015 - 23:05

Edit: And the game seriously needs a way to skip the dialogs and the cut scenes. Having to listen to the dialogs over and over again really kills the replayability factor.

Most dialogue is skippable (hit space). The things you can't skip are locked because skipping them messes up the animations. The only other things they could theoretically add a skipping feature to would be the comments you get when you click on something, and last it came up they didn't want to do that I think.

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#89 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:41

Most dialogue is skippable (hit space). The things you can't skip are locked because skipping them messes up the animations.

Some sequences have mostly unskippable dialogue though (or at least it can feel like that). It is indeed because skipping messes up animations, so I understand why it is like that, and it's not going to change.

But I know I was a bit frustrated when I replayed the Journeyman's Inn section (I wanted to show boyfriend the "entering Marcuria" animation), and I spent several minutes listening to unskippable crow dialogue before I was able to do that. So as I said, I totally understand why it has to be like that, but I can also understand where the conversation frustration is coming from :)

I did get to study Zoë's clothes very closely though, since that's what I focused on (playing with the camera, spinning around) while waiting for the talking to stop :P

Edited by Tina, 16 July 2015 - 14:09.
Autocorrect fail that I just noticed

• khh likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#90 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 16 July 2015 - 13:57

Yes I did exactly the same while crow was waffling on. It was also her clothes I was examining. In effect. :ph34r:

• Tina, khh and maDSaint like this

#91 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 20:16

My only real issue with this sequence was how creepy looking Saga is.  Am I the only one who found her creepy? 

Yes, her head is too big for the rest of her body and she is a little on the ugly side.  Why did they not create a nice/cute looking little girl - if she is going to turn into April, I hope it's quick and loses that horrible accent as well!

#92 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 July 2015 - 20:25

I mean... ...I tend to think children are creepy as a general rule, though I don't find Saga creepy at all. I actually thought she looked better than a lot of children in games. 

Also, generally speaking, kids do have heads that are out of proportion with their bodies. They're still growing and don't follow typical adult proportions. 

• Edreamer Jamil and maDSaint like this

#93 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 16 July 2015 - 21:11

Well, when she says "I'm a fancy lady" your heart just melts :P Damn kids and their tricksy ways.

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen and 1 other like this

#94 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7119 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 July 2015 - 21:27

Yeah, I thought Saga looked quite cute as well. Actually, she looks Norwegian. Which fits her accent.

• Edreamer Jamil and Vainamoinen like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#95 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 21:34

Also, generally speaking, kids do have heads that are out of proportion with their bodies. They're still growing and don't follow typical adult proportions. 

Let's hope that's all it is then.

#96 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 21:36

Heart melting mandatory, folks.

31775d994669f0b537d8d0726259bf68_sagapla

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil and Crowboy like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#97 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 22:17

Yeah, I thought Saga looked quite cute as well. Actually, she looks Norwegian. Which fits her accent.

Strange, considering her father has a Scottish accent, mother (where ever she's gone now) has an American accent and Saga does not seem to relate to either parent!

#98 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 16 July 2015 - 22:19

Strange, considering her father has a Scottish accent, mother (where ever she's gone now) has an American accent and Saga does not seem to relate to either parent!

Already posted elsewhere on the forum but...

Spoiler

• khh likes this

#99 Saturn

Saturn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 22:35

Already posted elsewhere on the forum but...

Spoiler

Well, if Ragnar himself is not sure, then who is?

#100 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 00:29

You might as well ask why the bartender is Welsh. Because reasons :P

• Edreamer Jamil, Mr Moo and Crowboy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users