Photo

Ok, fess up, who on the team actually thought that was a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:53

and I believe we'll probably do some tweaks for upcoming ports.

Ragnar, please live the puzzle as is for us who are getting a hard copy of the game. I just love this puzzle, it is my favorite up to this point in the whole TLJ saga. When I heard Lara's theme on Saga's music box, I went whoa... out of all the pieces of music that could have been chosen it was the right piece at the right moment.

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, loranna238 and 4 others like this

#22 Anesha154

Anesha154

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 13:03

Ragnar, please live the puzzle as is for us who are getting a hard copy of the game. I just love this puzzle, it is my favorite up to this point in the whole TLJ saga. When I heard Lara's theme on Saga's music box, I went whoa... out of all the pieces of music that could have been chosen it was the right piece at the right moment.

Can I second this? I absolutely loved the interlude, one of the highlights in book three. Being able to explore the house between world for a long time. Learning new things about Saga en April. I couldn't have asked for more. 

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, Dmm and 4 others like this

#23 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 July 2015 - 13:49

I honestly loved the puzzle and was smiling all the way through it. I kept walking around, exploring all rooms several times and finding new things even when I thought there was nothing else ("hey, is that a hat? Oh she can wear it!...", "wait, there is a *second* hat as well?...") - I am pretty sure I would have missed a lot of things if there weren't so many drawings to find. So even though I needed help to find the last drawing, I really loved the Interlude :)
  • Edreamer Jamil, Dmm, maDSaint and 3 others like this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#24 HeinzHarald

HeinzHarald

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVarberg, Sweden

Posted 05 July 2015 - 14:06

I certainly got a bit frustrated ("I've been all around this house several times and there are four more, wtf?!"), but mostly in a good way. It was a nice change of pace, forcing me to slow down and truly look around. However I didn't like the top of the stairs one, which took me quite a bit longer to find than the rest. The lighting was a bit wonky, and since I could see and interact with the door I didn't think there would be a hidden hotspot.

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#25 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 05 July 2015 - 14:13

I thought this was so awesome...she kept picking up objects and saying things in that cute voice.  She was adorable.  I had a problem with the stairway one but my brother is look, you know these people, they always do something obvious (like with the valve when you have to get the clamps) I then was like ohhhh...and found the light switch.

• Edreamer Jamil and Mr Moo like this

#26 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 July 2015 - 14:49

When I saw the thread title I thought it would be about putting the rat in the tube.  :urgh:

I liked the Interlude, and I thought Saga was adorable! I didn't get nearly as stuck as some of you, though, so maybe I wouldn't have liked it so much if I'd spent a whole hour on it, too.

• Edreamer Jamil and loranna238 like this

#27 lars

lars

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLyon, France

Posted 05 July 2015 - 15:14

I believe we'll probably do some tweaks for upcoming ports. 

I found this puzzle quite enjoyable, and neither easier or more difficult from the others.(never needed to do pixel hunting)

I loved the ideas and questions it opened, the future Books will tell us if we read the content of the drawings correctly.

On a separate point I hope that  you will not fall for revisionist and leave the puzzles that works and not cave in to popular opinion.

Without the duck puzzle TLJ would not have left the same impact on our memory.

• Edreamer Jamil, Dmm, Bruno and 1 other like this

Used with Steam version                      Used with HumbleBundle version

El Capitain 10.11 beta 4                                       El Capitan 10.11.2

Macbook 12 pouces                                             MacMini 2012

1,2 GHz Intel Core M                                            2,5 GHz Intel Core I5

8Go 1600 MHz DDR                                            16 GO 1600 MHZ DDR3

Resolution 2304 x 1440 SSD                               Resolution 1680 x 1050 SSD 500 Go

Intel Graphics 5300 1536 Mo                               Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

#28 Stargazer

Stargazer

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 16:16

Maybe it could be done like the maze puzzle in Memoria. After a certain amount of time a button appears that allows you to skip the puzzle for those who are too impatient (needless to say I never used it :)). That way we who love the puzzle could continue to enjoy it while those who are frustrated and want to move on can skip it.

#29 What'sADraugen?

What'sADraugen?

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 18:38

Incidentally, I also wrote Crow's dialogue. So where does that leave me?

In that case I'm willing to let you off, but only this once. If I have to collect more than three of anything in the next chapter...

#30 Chikyuu

Chikyuu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 05 July 2015 - 18:56

In that case I'm willing to let you off, but only this once. If I have to collect more than three of anything in the next chapter...

Just you wait^_^

Next book we have to find every single of Crow's former girlfriends scattered all over Arcadia.

Or was that a dream??  B)

• Dreamincolours likes this

ゆめゆめうたがうことなかれ 夢見る子供 の ゆめ の ゆめ

yume yume utagau koto nakare, yume miru kodomo no yume no yume

#31 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 19:57

Next book we have to find every single of Crow's former girlfriends scattered all over Arcadia.

If they assemble Crow's history, I'm in!
  • khh, loranna238 and Bruno like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#32 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 July 2015 - 20:30

I think a reasonable change would be a few additional voiceovers for Saga talking about where she might have put her drawings.

#33 Varana

Varana

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 23:10

Twenty minutes spent scouring every pixel in the same tiny three rooms and two corridors, hoping to get a clickable eye icon for the right item, and not the myriad of wrong ones generously scattered around the scenery.  And then put all nine pictures in the right order, which wasn't obvious at all even for someone who played TLJ several times, and a total a stab in the dark for anyone who hasn't played TLJ. At least the right pictures stay in the frame if you get the order wrong, otherwise I'd still be doing the puzzle.

Fifteen-twenty minutes. Those are the fast examples. Fifteen-twenty minutes doing basically nothing but staring at a selection of walls.

Clearly, this was not intended to pad out play time. Fun, joy, and user-friendliness all the way.

So much this.

Maybe somewhere in between, though even then, I probably wouldn't have particularly liked it. But starting the episode with a frustrating pixel hunt? You really want to keep people from playing this, do you?

Maybe if the environment were actually interesting all around. Sure, there are some spots that are nice / cute, but overall, it's four and a half rooms. Which I have looked at enough after finding about three pictures. That small room between the kitchen and Saga's room, where you check thrice some random boxes and a cupboard just to make sure there's no hotspot left. The big room with the fire where you walk around the shelves again and again, but nothing happens. (And you can't close the door next to the chair, or only by very precise positioning.) And so on.

I really liked Saga's house after the first interlude and its retro style. I could very well do without seeing it ever again, after the second one. Or more precisely, after finding about half of the drawings.

Sorry. That didn't connect with me, at all.

• Atrus likes this

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. - W.B. Yeats

#34 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:53

I didn't mind it - it actually told you which ones were wrong.  People who played it without play TLJ would probably assume it was a story saga made up and only she knew the answer.  As for the hunting, it wasn't that bad.  The only part that bothered me was the light switch.

#35 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:25

Hmm...I think my biggest problem had to do with mouse+interaction. The second one was, that even if I would go around thinking "Saga is an unusual child, so the drawings could be at unusual places" I wouldn't have the ideas that would lead me to them. So maaaybe some subtle hints?...

The order of the pictures has been discussed before I think. I'm almost certain the order isn't all correct and I have played TLJ. For everyone who hasn't played it, there already is the trial and error option, so what's your point?

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#36 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:28

The only "mistake" I noticed was the first meeting with Crow being before Westhouse, but I'm not sure it was a mistake. It was in the right place for the first meeting, it's just that the picture depicted a later one.

• Riaise likes this

#37 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:18

The only "mistake" I noticed was the first meeting with Crow being before Westhouse, but I'm not sure it was a mistake. It was in the right place for the first meeting, it's just that the picture depicted a later one.

I don't think the picture was the first meeting with Crow, it was April making friends with him. Which definitely happened during the second Shift, after she had met Brian.

• Indrid Cold likes this

#38 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:03

The only "mistake" I noticed was the first meeting with Crow being before Westhouse, but I'm not sure it was a mistake. It was in the right place for the first meeting, it's just that the picture depicted a later one.

Wasn't the description that Spring girl made a new friend? That definitely didn't happen until after April had met Brian. Meeting Crow at all is optional the first time you're in Arcadia, and they only say four lines between them.
  • Vainamoinen, Riaise, Indrid Cold and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#39 Shitbot

Shitbot

Fringe Café Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:26

Maybe somewhere in between, though even then, I probably wouldn't have particularly liked it. But starting the episode with a frustrating pixel hunt? You really want to keep people from playing this, do you?

The worst thing is that you're waiting for the story to pick up from where it left off - Zoe getting exploded and Kian making friends among magical minorities - but noooo, first you gotta scour every pixel in the house you've already seen in the first interlude.

The spirit of good game design suggests that if you're going to spend a lot of time in one area - that area better be new, vast and exciting. This game does the opposite - it crams you into the same three rooms you've already explored walking literally on baby speed, keeps you there for ten hours, and then moves on like it's nothing. 

#40 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 13:40

Wasn't the description that Spring girl made a new friend? That definitely didn't happen until after April had met Brian. Meeting Crow at all is optional the first time you're in Arcadia, and they only day four lines between them.

Spring girl even gives Crow back into captivity later on... so 'making a friend' could have been postponed even more.

Of course, maybe Crow liked it in her pants. :)
  • khh likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users