Photo

Ok, fess up, who on the team actually thought that was a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 What'sADraugen?

What'sADraugen?

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 21:14

You know what I'm talking about it. Did somebody play Life is Strange and think, "Hey, that was pretty good, but it would have been so much better if there'd been nine bottles!"

I hate you all*. I just needed you to know that.

*Except the person who wrote Crow's lines.

#2 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2068 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 July 2015 - 00:58

As you keep the correct ones between tries, it should not really be that difficult?

You also start off with two correct ones, if you notice when she points out they're the beginning and the end of the story.

I think I used something like 5 or 6 tries the first time. On my second play through I made all 9 in the first attempt.

BTW: I loved the bottle shooting in Life is Strange! :wub:

• Edreamer Jamil and merryawe like this

#3 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:39

I don't understand the issue. Players who were familiar with TLJ probably got it on the 1st or 2nd try. DFC is the third part of the Longest Journey, and, it is nice to see the whole story come together.

• Edreamer Jamil, ACID_RAIN82, aeonfluxx75 and 1 other like this

#4 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:58

Perhaps Whatsadraugen is talking about the fact there were a whole 9 pictures to hunt in the first place. ?

I think most of us checked the quest after finding one or two of them and gaped open mouthed at the '7 more' message - I think 'Ragnar is Evilll' were the exact words in my head at that moment

As I've posted elsewhere personally I loved the puzzle, coupled as it was with all the feels of Saga interacting with the HOAW, and the rewards of careful exploration and consideration revealing one more drawing after another.

No problem myself with the bottles in Life is Strange, any quest that encourages careful searching of the environment vs racing through it is a win for me although I certainly felt really Chloe should've helped out or made do with something else (my experience on the other hand with parents setting tasks in RL is that negotiation is far less of an option ! And in any case Magnus did help Saga)
  • Tina, Vainamoinen, kellkerrick and 3 others like this

#5 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:41

Yeah I thought the message that 4 drawings were missing was a bug cos I had looked at all places - or so I had thought. Turns out Saga is a bit more "creative" than your usual dump of trash. :D

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#6 What'sADraugen?

What'sADraugen?

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:25

Yes, I meant the collection, not the ordering.

Using puzzles to encourage exploration is fine if there's actually stuff worth exploring. Life is Strange generally has that, because the characters you see around are part of the core cast - you're learning about the people you interact with time and time again. Apart from the room where Chloe and Amber hung out, that wasn't really the case in the scrapheap. There was certainly no need for the bonfire bottle, complete with the misleading "I'M SURE THERE'S A BONFIRE AROUND HERE!" repeating voiceover. Super helpful, Max, now go wait on the trainline please.

That "puzzle" didn't do much apart from extend the episode time, and a cynic might suggest that's entirely what RTG were going for here, worried that otherwise the episode would have been "too short". But, personally, I'd rather have something short and lean instead of unnecessarily padded out. It's an area that we've already visited before and we don't really learn anything we didn't already know.

It didn't ruin the episode for me, but after finishing it I did turn it off and wait an entire week before going back to it. That says a lot when I pretty much have to finish Life is Strange in one sitting.

#7 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:58

You know what I'm talking about it. Did somebody play Life is Strange and think, "Hey, that was pretty good, but it would have been so much better if there'd been nine bottles!"

I hate you all*. I just needed you to know that.

*Except the person who wrote Crow's lines.

That's on me.

Initially I believe the puzzle had fewer drawings (maybe six or seven?) but I truly enjoyed Saga's scavenger hunt (which was odd, because I mostly don't because I suck at these things) and asked the designer if we could add a couple more. I also asked for some of the drawings to be better hidden. So feel free to hate me, and not the rest of the team.

At no point, however, was this intended to pad out playing time. Quite the contrary; we really thought people would speed through this section regardless and be left with a positive impression. And play-tests on the team (before anyone had played it, of course) seemed to go well. Most enjoyed the hunt quite a bit, even when it took a bit of time (I was probably one of the slowest; others got through it in fifteen, twenty minutes). The very mixed response really took us by surprise, and I believe we'll probably do some tweaks for upcoming ports. Regardless, I — along with most of the team — will always have a soft spot for this Interlude. I still enjoy playing it a lot.

Incidentally, I also wrote Crow's dialogue. So where does that leave me?

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, khh and 11 others like this

#8 Sarah_Stark

Sarah_Stark

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:41

It leaves you on the naughty step, but with your favourite treat.

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, blaster and 1 other like this

I could of course be very wrong.

#9 mse

mse

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:07

To be fair, I think there were a lot of people - including myself - who enjoyed the hunt and the chance to explore the HoAW more. ;)

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, Riaise and 2 others like this

#10 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:10

It took me a full hour to find all the drawings (like in Book 1, I was too stupid to look up). Which was testing my patience, which is what puzzles usually do. However, I much prefer puzzles that give you all the clues and all the pieces for you to combine... instead of searching for them for so long.

On the whole, thankful for the challenge. It could have been a different challenge of course. :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#11 Sarah_Stark

Sarah_Stark

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:26

I got stuck simply because some were in places I'd already checked, and I simply hadn't had the ability to interact with them pop up, such as the one at the top of the stairs, despite having already turned the light on. Then she said something about ''I wouldn't have left one upstairs'' (or something to that effect) so left it alone as I continued my search downstairs.

• Vainamoinen likes this

I could of course be very wrong.

#12 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1271 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:39

There is one core mechanic of the interaction system that you have to notice and get used to and that is how the focus icon remains in look mode if you are too far away. So you need to go up to things and move your perspective around until it changes to the gear icon. You will be getting very familiar with the right thumbstick! Maybe it's harder with the mouse? One can like, not mind or dislike this idea, but it does mean that you need to check you focused on something closely enough and from the right angle to see if there's an interact icon available for it. This is effectively the 3D equivalent of "pixel hunting". I like doing this as I tend to do it in every game anyway, testing the limits. Hence, as soon as the guide bot told Zoe she had to follow the arrow I made her go in the opposite direction just for the sheer disobedience. If you are persistent and keep mashing B to FF through the bot telling you to stop it, you can eventually go in totally the other direction and find where the extra barriers are.

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen and Dmm like this

#13 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:40

Regarding the upstairs drawing there clearly was a high variation in the lighting levels experienced by different players up there - before switching on the lights that is

I watched Cryaotic's playthrough on YouTube and it was truly dark up there, whereas on my own playthrough it was meerly dim, and I could see the drawing easily. Like many I wondered if I'd found a bug at first, although on having a think I noted it was rather dim and looked about for a light switch. Perhaps it's a matter of ensuring players are given the option to adjust their gamma setting and prompted to do so at the start of the game ?
  • Vainamoinen likes this

#14 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:57

Regarding the upstairs drawing there clearly was a high variation in the lighting levels experienced by different players up there - before switching on the lights that is

That has to do with different monitors and gamma settings. I'm playing things fairly light... the part would have been a stopper for me if I hadn't peeked in one help thread ("WARNING GAME BREAKING BUG"). But I did, so I thought: All right, there has to be a reason for that hotspot not appearing...  :)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#15 Shitbot

Shitbot

Fringe Café Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:02

others got through it in fifteen, twenty minutes

Twenty minutes spent scouring every pixel in the same tiny three rooms and two corridors, hoping to get a clickable eye icon for the right item, and not the myriad of wrong ones generously scattered around the scenery.  And then put all nine pictures in the right order, which wasn't obvious at all even for someone who played TLJ several times, and a total a stab in the dark for anyone who hasn't played TLJ. At least the right pictures stay in the frame if you get the order wrong, otherwise I'd still be doing the puzzle.

Fifteen-twenty minutes. Those are the fast examples. Fifteen-twenty minutes doing basically nothing but staring at a selection of walls.

Clearly, this was not intended to pad out play time. Fun, joy, and user-friendliness all the way.

• Varana and Atrus like this

#16 Stargazer

Stargazer

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:03

I loved Saga's scavenger hunt, it's my favourite part of the episode. In the beginning, I wanted to explore every corner of the house and was annoyed by Pappa calling for me all the time. Then I realized I was actually given a gameplay reason to explore it even more thoroughly, which was amazing. I litterally squeed with excitement when I found out that Saga had been drawing events from TLJ and provides commentary on each scene she drew (which proofed to be quite insightful). So what began as "I want to explare ever nook and cranny of the House of all Worlds" quickly became "I want to see what other TLJ scenes Saga drew and what insights she can provide". Whenever I ran into the risk of becoming frustrated with the search, I could inspect some random item and hear Saga's adorable commentary (like the umbrella, the guitar, the hat...).

So all things considered I love the interlude just the way it is and I sincerely hope it's not going to get changed because some people can't appreciate it. Anyone who doesn't like it can just look up the locations of the drawings in a walkthrough - I don't see the problem with that. Meanwhile all those who find it enjoyable can continue to appreciate it.
  • Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, Riaise and 3 others like this

#17 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2068 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:47

Even during my now second interlude play through, I had to watch a Youtube video to locate the last drawing (living room, top of the cabinet).

Apparently I suck at 3D pixel hunting, and I'm unable to look upwards. :P

#18 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:51

My only real issue with this sequence was how creepy looking Saga is.  Am I the only one who found her creepy? 

I enjoyed the nod to TLJ.  Yes, the scavenger hunt could have used a hint or two (especially for the harder ones), but overall, a nice break after seeing Zoe get blasted.  Plus, some interesting information was given about both April's future, and Westhouse.

And I too, seem unable to look up.  I suppose that might come with being rather tall, and I'm just not used to it. ;)

#19 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:55

My only real issue with this sequence was how creepy looking Saga is.  Am I the only one who found her creepy?

I personally... didn't... :huh:

• Dmm likes this

#20 merryawe

merryawe

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:12

And I too, seem unable to look up.  

The lantern puzzle from Book 1 has trained me well. This particular drawing was the first one I found!  :D

• Vainamoinen and Mr Moo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users