• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JACOBcze

JACOBcze

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:38

How do I change settings of the game outside the game? Since I can't run it, cos it runs out of memory and crashes. Thanks

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:27

The info you need should be in the FAQ. Are you playing on 32-bit Windows? If so make sure you look at the section about solving out of memory issues on that OS.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 JACOBcze

JACOBcze

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:00

Yeah it didnt, the question was - how can I change settings outside the game since it crashes before it launches. Not if I should change settings IN the game. Can you please answer my question?

#4 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:21

I found this in the FAQ linked to by khh, at least:

Q: I cannot make changes in the in-game settings due to *insert reason*. Is there a place where I can change settings manually?
A: You can alter some of the game's settings by editing saved preferences for the game in your systems registry/application settings.
See below for instruction on where to locate these preferences on the different platforms:

• Windows: Open "regedit.exe" (most easily found by searching for it in the start menu): Go to "HKCU\Software\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters"
  • Mac: "~/Library/Preferences" in a file named "unity.Red Thread Games.Dreamfall Chapters.plist"
  • Linux: "~/.config/unity3d/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters"

For Mac/Linux users, there can be an issue with read/write permissions for the locations where these preferences are saved. For more info and possible workarounds, please see this topic.

(just for the record; us moderators are just volunteer moderators, and we don't always know the answer to every question)

• khh likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:30

As I said, it's in the FAQ.

April Ryan is my friend,

#6 JACOBcze

JACOBcze

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 18:30

Ok thanks, but there is no explanation of how to actually change settings, I can change resolution and fullscreen but where and how do I change quality that could prevent from game crashing the second it hits main menu?

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 18:51

Okay...I'm not positive but taking a look at mine, I'd think the setting to tinker with would be UnityGraphicsQuality?

But I'm going to be honest. If the game is crashing as soon as you hit the main menu, that sounds like something more than just needing to drop the settings. What are your system specs? Are you getting a crash log? We might be able to offer some more suggestions if we can get some more information. 

• isThatAHippo likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#8 isThatAHippo

isThatAHippo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 19:26

Ok thanks, but there is no explanation of how to actually change settings, I can change resolution and fullscreen but where and how do I change quality that could prevent from game crashing the second it hits main menu?

Okay...I'm not positive but taking a look at mine, I'd think the setting to tinker with would be UnityGraphicsQuality?

Yeah, UnityGraphicsQuality is correct. 0 = "Low" ... 3 = "Awesome".

But changing the settings in the file does not seem to update the settings in game (for me at least). If I change UnityGraphicsQuality to 0 (lowest) in the file, save it and launch the game, the file will revert back to whatever setting the game had set in the 'Visual Quality' select option. But updating the settings in game does update that attribute in the file, so that's it.

But as already mentioned the problem may not lay exactly with the graphics setting to begin with.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#9 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 19:31

Thanks for confirming that! Good to know for future reference.

Though it's odd that it doesn't seem to stick. Though I know that setting is one of the ones that requires a game reboot, so maybe there's something related to that. I don't know. Registry editing is a bit beyond my computer expertise. 

But yeah. In this instance I'm inclined to say we can come up with some other suggestions to help fix the problem. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#10 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 July 2015 - 20:43

You could try to verify that the game installed correctly. On Steam you right click on the game in your library, select properties and in the local files tab you click Verify integrity of game cache. Unexpected behaviours like this can be caused by missing or corrupt files. GOG Galaxy has a similar feature.

Otherwise you could try posting the game's log.

Output log:
You can find the game's output log in the location that the game is installed in a folder named "Dreamfall Chapters_Data". For Steam users, this can usually be found in your Steam installation folder under "...\SteamApps\common\Dreamfall Chapters". In the "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" folder, the output log file is called "output_log.txt".
For Mac users, the log can be found by opening the Console. It should be located under the "Unity"-section, called "Player.log".

(On Linux it's located at ~/.config/unity3d/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters/Player.log I think)
(You can attach it to your post using the More Reply Options button in the bottom right, though if you're on Mac/Linux you may have to rename the file to have a .txt ending)

If it's actually crashing there may be crash logs as well, which should be in numbered folders in the game's install directory I believe (at least on Windows, I don't know where crash logs are written on Mac and Linux).
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#11 BMack

BMack

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:36

I found this in the FAQ linked to by khh, at least:

Q: I cannot make changes in the in-game settings due to *insert reason*. Is there a place where I can change settings manually?
A: You can alter some of the game's settings by editing saved preferences for the game in your systems registry/application settings.
See below for instruction on where to locate these preferences on the different platforms:

• Windows: Open "regedit.exe" (most easily found by searching for it in the start menu): Go to "HKCU\Software\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters"
  • Mac: "~/Library/Preferences" in a file named "unity.Red Thread Games.Dreamfall Chapters.plist"
  • Linux: "~/.config/unity3d/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters"

For Mac/Linux users, there can be an issue with read/write permissions for the locations where these preferences are saved. For more info and possible workarounds, please see this topic.

(just for the record; us moderators are just volunteer moderators, and we don't always know the answer to every question)

I have encountered the problem of the Dreamfall preferences not being saved on a Mac under OSX.  The preferences should be saved in the file:

~/Library/Containers/com.redthreadgames.dreamfallchaptersmac/Data/Library/Preferences/com.redthreadgames.dreamfallchaptersmac.plist

The user's Library folder is hidden so to access it go to the Finder, pull down the Go menu and press the Option key.  The folder will then appear on the Go menu.

The problem I found was that this file was missing and the program couldn't create one.  What I did was create an empty plist using XCode, save it under the filename "com.redthreadgames.dreamfallchaptersmac.plist" and then drag it into the above folder.  The game is then able to overwrite the empty file with the game settings and the problem goes away.

#12 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:12

If you're editing the registry, you might need to reboot the system for the changes to take effect.  Windows loads it into memory at boot, and depending on where the setting is exactly, it won't change anything until it reloads it.

#13 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:13

A bit late for this perhaps, but the game crashing when it hits the main menu (not earlier and not later) could be an indication of (Windows) font corruption. 

There was a pertinent discussion for this here (it solved the issue for the TS there):

http://redthreadgame...will-not-start/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users